Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server busy messages and garbled responses

Options
  • 24-01-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Gotten the server too busy message about 4 times in the past 10 minutes. Twice when opening a post and twice when trying to vote in a poll. Small problem perhaps ?? Thought I'd mention it anyway :)

EDIT: Got it again trying to post this :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I'm getting it too.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Just got a few server busy messages and a garbled text page instead of the homepage.

32a2c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I got the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I just got something like that too. Just a bunch of random symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

same here, page full of various text and html characters and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I kept getting server busy messages, and topics took ages to load for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Twice in the past 2 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I got a few " Server Too Busy " and " BaconZombie, you do not have permission to access this page. " errors and then the following:

6y7S9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Yep same here, server busy messages too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thanks folks, appreciate you letting us know. We're looking into that one now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Sorry about that. Should be fixed now.

vBulletin has a feature where it will stop people doing stuff (with a server busy message) if the load on the webserver goes past a certain point. This feature didn't work in the past, but we never turned it off. Part of the process of getting the site back up and running on Friday involved upgrading vBulletin and that resuscitated the feature*.

Now, the garbled output you saw was almost certainly from stuff we wrote (like the front page) which doesn't expect the other parts of vBulletin to crap out. The output you saw was gzipped HTML or part of it at least.

* For the nerds: It changed 'if (PHP_OS == 'Linux') { ... }' to 'if (!$iswindows) { ... }'. We run FreeBSD so...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

According to their Twitter, it seems it was a vBulletin feature kicking in for the 1st time

http://twitter.com/boards_ie/status/8164090413

the link comes back to this thread:confused:

Understand now that I see Conors post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

yeah happened here too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

rdOnX.png

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement