Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair advantages to parents

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

SLUSK wrote: »
    Parents have a very easy ride in this society. Their kids get free education and they get money just for having kids. I myself will never get married or have children so why should I have to subsidize people having children?

I can't afford a Ferrari but I don't ask for subsidies so I can buy one. Why should people who can't afford to be parents have their expenses subsidized?

So why should we who have produced the future wealth earners and service providers be interested in your opinion on our kids ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Actually we should be taxing people who don't have children even more. I mean they are doing nothing to replenish the gene pool for future tax revenues. Selfish gits !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

I do not exist to serve my fellow man. I owe nothing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Did you get educated in this state, do you use the roads, public transport and the miriade of other services the state provides. You already owe quite alot to the state and your tax payments only cover a portion of that. Providing the state with future tax payers allows you to balance your statements so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Feck off to an island in the pacific ocean then and see how long you last. We are all dependent on company and the shareing principle. Its the core reason counciling works. Its not a magic solution its a shareing of a problem.

• Advertisement

I agree, but it follows on as we are being so unemotional and detached in our arguements., that as soon as you retire, you are economically a burden to those of us who reproductively valuable. Why on earth should we support you ? You are in fact one of the least productive of human assets !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

That right there is your problem. It's a fairly selfish attitude, to be honest. And if you've no children, then what's it to you what kind of benefits parents get?

Why would you waste time thinking about that kind of stuff anyway? Do you have a lot of free time on your hands? I'm not trying to be funny, but wouldn't you be better off going out and living life a bit than pondering the running of the state and the unfairness of all the things that you don't get and others do. I mean, our taxes pay pensions for old people, you don't get that either. And you mightn't be living here when it comes around to you being entitled to it. And medical bills for people who can't afford it - but if you've got health insurance and are rarely ill, you don't get that either. And if you don't drive, you don't get to use the roads that your taxes pay for. And if you didn't go to college, you don't get the free education that your taxes pay for......it's an endless and somewhat pointless argument. If you disagree with the running of the state, then fine, but why don't you go out and do something about it instead pontificating about it.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Algernon

dan_d wrote: »
    That right there is your problem. It's a fairly selfish attitude, to be honest. And if you've no children, then what's it to you what kind of benefits parents get?

Why would you waste time thinking about that kind of stuff anyway? Do you have a lot of free time on your hands? I'm not trying to be funny, but wouldn't you be better off going out and living life a bit than pondering the running of the state and the unfairness of all the things that you don't get and others do. I mean, our taxes pay pensions for old people, you don't get that either. And you mightn't be living here when it comes around to you being entitled to it. And medical bills for people who can't afford it - but if you've got health insurance and are rarely ill, you don't get that either. And if you don't drive, you don't get to use the roads that your taxes pay for. And if you didn't go to college, you don't get the free education that your taxes pay for......it's an endless and somewhat pointless argument. If you disagree with the running of the state, then fine, but why don't you go out and do something about it instead pontificating about it.:confused:

Exactly. Stop moaning and do something about it. At least that's what Slusky's heroes at the 'Free State Project' did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Can I add that the free state project seems to depend on people taking responsibility for themselves in their dealings with others. But if your attitude is that you owe nothing to anybody, then you are essentially going to act as you see fit and as suits you. Therefore, your dealings may be okay from your point of view, but as actions towards everyone else, be unfair and selfish. Therefore rendering the free state notion unworkable, without some sort of person to keep charge of what's going on. Which brings you back to where you started.

My understanding of it is very simplistic, but I think on paper the idea will work but not in real life. Humans do not operate in black and white, there are always shades of grey. Unfortunately this leads to an all or nothing system, where you have to have laws that create the black and white - you can't have some laws for some people, and others for other people. It's not always perfect, but it is as a result of human nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Parents have a very easy ride in this society. Their kids get free education and they get money just for having kids. I myself will never get married or have children so why should I have to subsidize people having children?

I can't afford a Ferrari but I don't ask for subsidies so I can buy one. Why should people who can't afford to be parents have their expenses subsidized?

Can we assume then that you worked your way through primary and secondary school?

This post has been deleted.

Well even the most prudent of individuals would still require ' human assets' to provide the services that his/her investments would be purchasing !

Mind you, it must be said, messers Cowen, Ahern, Lenihan etc have ensured that even the most cautious of investors and indeed fund managers will now struggle to provide the funds for all the post retirement services we will require.

As I have nothing of further value to add to this thread ( and that is assuming I said anything of any value at all !), I will retire from the discussion. :)

deadtiger wrote: »
    Did you get educated in this state, do you use the roads, public transport and the miriade of other services the state provides. You already owe quite alot to the state and your tax payments only cover a portion of that. Providing the state with future tax payers allows you to balance your statements so to speak.

Ahh, but the thing is that he could very well have a stable well paid (and well taxed) job for the rest of his natural working life. He will pay taxes on his wages, on just about any purchase, pay multiple taxes on the whatever number of cars he buys, tax on insurance, tax on mortgage(s), etc.

And thats without even mentioning if he gets married and has children. Over the course of his life he's almost definitely going to pay off anything he has received from education, infrastructure etc. In fact, its likely that if he has any kind of reasonable work, he will receive extremely few direct benefits from his taxes.. Most likely he will be on private health insurance, will pay into his own pension, will have his own house with mortgage paid off, etc.

And thats with a reasonable wage.. If he's unemployed then he goes from being a contributor to being a "burden" (no offense intended with the word, couldn't think of an alternative).

As a relatively constantly employed and taxed person in this country, he will more than likely pay back (and much more)... anything he has received. Of course this depends on circumstances, and income levels.

(I'm just thinking of how much I was taxed over a decade of working in this country between the salary of 32k & 42k, and adding 30-40 years to that. Thats quite a lot of money without even taking into account the taxes in other areas)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Quit bleating on about things being "unfair" then. If we all shared the same thoughts then you are owed nothing either. Continue doing what DonegalFella is encouraging you to do and never mind things being "fair".

dsmythy wrote: »
    Quit bleating on about things being "unfair" then. If we all shared the same thoughts then you are owed nothing either. Continue doing what DonegalFella is encouraging you to do and never mind things being "fair".
    I am voluntarily unemployed, I receive no benefits. No dole.
    At least I'm not paying taxes. I intend to live like this as long as I can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

At least I'm not paying taxes. I intend to live like this as long as I can afford it.

What about VAT ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

I am voluntarily unemployed, I receive no benefits. No dole.

You mean as long as you still live with your parents?

Celticfire wrote: »
    That is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

SLUSK some single mothers do take the p1ss by having loads of kids so that they can sponge off the state. People that get married and have steady jobs, pay taxes and contribute to the state deserve to have kids in my view.

I have two kids and I do not like paying for some scanger who has had 5 kids and smoking crack, but that's society and it sucks.

I guess if you can't beat them join them.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

Good for you, would you like some sort of medal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Celticfire wrote: »
    That is correct.
    They must be most disappointed.

dvpower wrote: »
    They must be most disappointed.
    That does not bother me, pride is for fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Don't pander to SLUSK, he is a troll attempting to coax reactions with ludicrous statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Don't pander to slusk, he is a troll attempting to coax reactions with ludicrous statements

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Right, I think that's pretty much that.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement