Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build-suggestions needed

Options
  • 24-01-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, looking to build a pc for around the €700 mark, it'll be mainly for internet, movies and programming, I was thinking something along the lines of this,
    image001ic.jpg
    Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

does the programming involve intensive graphics programming or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

does the programming involve intensive graphics programming or anything?

No it wouldn't, I'm using a 4670 at the moment and that's more then enough so I thought the 5670 would do grand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

would you not stick with it then?

also, theres no power supply in that build :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

would you not stick with it then?

also, theres no power supply in that build :pac:
    It'd be replacing a 4 year old dell (it's my excuse for getting a new one :D) ah there is a powersupply in there I just clipped the top by mistake :pac: it would be this psu http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=17793&agid=240&pcconfAddUri=pcconfigurator.jsp%3FpcConfigurator.pwradaptor.pwradaptor.0%3D17793%3A3005&pcconfBackUri=pcconfselect.jsp?pcConfigurator.catid=44

a cheap AXP would do the job

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=19434&agid=240

and i recommend getting a 4670/4770 instead of a 5670. dx 11 cards are only benificial if you're going to be playing dx 11 games, basically :pac:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25946&agid=717

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

(Coincidentally, I was thinking of upgrading my PC with the exact same MB and CPU)
    Question: since the OP doesnt mention overclocking, is there any point in his buying PC1600 Ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Ian, Firstly are you sure you'll be able to build a pc? It's just not for everyone lol (private joke :p)

Seriously though i'd go for the more efficient cx400watt psu 80+
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=24637&agid=240
    For any build that doesn't need a big gpu it's got to be in it!

Same as cherryghost with the gpu, No advantage at all going with the 5670 unless you're gaming and even then it's not at all cost efficient unless you're gaming in dx11.

You even lose out on power consumption :(

If you won't be gaming at all then i'd just go with a 4350 if you are gaming then heck i don't know!
    The lowest cost 5670 is €70 the lowest cost 4670 is only €55, only you know until we find out what type of games you wanna play + stuff.

I have the Antec 300, it's a sound solid case, with absolutely no features other than noisy good airflow. If I were you I'd pick a case that you like aesthetically then find out the reviews and if they're any good go with it. Even if it means spending a little bit more on it.

Also you should really look into getting one of the samsung f3's, they are supposedly very fast drives. 1tb is so cheap now too, you'd have to get it. But at the same time, if you don't think you'd use it! Then don't bother

finally you might wanna check out ebuyers prices

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

From the benches I've seen HD5750 > HD4850 > HD4770 >> HD4830 > 9800GT > GTS240 > HD5670 >>>>>> HD4670. Big gap there. The HD5670 is a decent card if you're not going above 720p and there's no <€80 deals on HD4770s, which are starting to disappear. And DX11 is only as issue with HD5850 and up; nothing lower can really manage a realistic framerate in DX11 mode at any reasonable resolution. Maybe a heavily overvolted and OCd HD5770 would do, but certainly not a HD5670!

If you're not gaming there's no reason to get anything more than a HD4650 if multimedia is your game, or a very cheap GTS240 or GT220 if you can find one for Photoshop. Maybe. Otherwise there's little use going past a HD4350.

Advertisement