Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GHD Hair Straightener Vending Machine

Options
  • 24-01-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey

I was looking into installing a GHD hair straightener vending machine into the Ladies toilet in my pub. I was wondering if anyone has seen them around before or if anyone has used them? If so, where have you seen them... pubs, clubs, airports, gyms etc!

Basically it is a GHD hair straightener but you pay two euro to use it for two mins. Its clean to use because it is so hot it sterilises itself.

I think GHD is the best but I am open to suggestions of better brands.

They are quite expensive to buy and install (3-4k) so I was just wondering if people would use them. I think they make a bathroom better so I am happy to buy it and make a small loss but in these bad financial times I just don't want to loose too much.

Thanks for the help!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from tLL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeh ive seen them on the odd occassion and think theyre great. Especially on a sat night when you've spent ages getting ready and its raining outside and your hairs a frizzball by the time you get to the pub.

Thumbs up from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Hi graverobber,
    I love the ghd vending machines.
    I find them great... in the pub that has it in town there is always people using it.
    Esp when it is raining as there is others like me when water + lovely straight hair = frizz
    It def all depends on what kind of bar you have though, if its a small country pub you prob dont have the clients for it, however if its a bar that has a lot of younger women going to it it would def be something to look into to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I wouldn't use them...the concept is disgusting. God knows who has used them before you!

3-4k sounds like a massive rip-off as well, considering the GHD's themselves only cost 100-150 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

It seems like a law suit waiting to happen. Give drunk people the option of putting a very hot thing next to their head. I am not sure that it would be a good investment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Sparklebox

eth0_ wrote: »
    I wouldn't use them...the concept is disgusting. God knows who has used them before you!

3-4k sounds like a massive rip-off as well, considering the GHD's themselves only cost 100-150 euro?

read somewhere that the heat of the straightner kills off any bacteria etc.....but I'd look into it to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Love them. Especially in this climate with frizzy hair! 3-4K sounds like a massive rip off tho for installation...what is it, a ghd in a holder attached to a power source? Mental...

Sparklebox wrote: »
    read somewhere that the heat of the straightner kills off any bacteria etc.....but I'd look into it to be sure!

They probably do but products quickly build up on the ceramic plates. I've seen some manky GHD's in airport toilets before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

eth0_ wrote: »

yeah this would put me off ever using them. plus i really dont think alcohol and hair straighteners is a good idea. ive had enough near burns when im sober.

ive seen them in lots of places but ive never actually seen anyone using them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sparklebox wrote: »
    The heat would have to be in excess of 100 degrees Celsius over a number of minutes to effectively kill off bacteria.

...sounds like a great place for Lionel Hutz to leave a few business cards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

Do you get to keep all the money people put into the machine? If so, then it seems like it could possibly pay for itself after a while.

But I do wonder about drunk people getting burned...

I wish my gym had something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I saw them in a shopping centre in Edinburgh and also a few pubs there. They had all been turned off. I asked in a couple of places why and it was drunks getting burned and kids messing with them before they cooled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

They have them in the girls bathroom in Barcode (Large Dublin club). Never heard any incidents of drunken incidents at all.

It depends on your venue

They have them in the girls bathroom in Barcode (Large Dublin club). Never heard any incidents of drunken incidents at all.

It depends on your venue

Jaysis...Barcode's the sort of place where a knacker would hold you down and use them as a deadly weapon!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Haha, I havent been there in yuuuuurs, but it was never really that bad. Just a lot of snootiness rather than agro

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Personally, I wouldn't be bothered using a ghd in the bathroom of a pub/club. I get ready at home, it's part of the fun. When I'm out, I just wanna chill and have a laugh. If my hair is a mess, whatever! I'm probably drunk anyway and when I look at the pictures, I'll just think, "Ah, the night it was lashing rain and my hair got wrecked!".
    I also think 2 euro for the teeny amount of time you get to use it is a rip off. Better off to just run a brush through it, imo.
    As other people have said, 3-4k is waaaaaay too expensive just to have one of these installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've seen them ripped off the wall in a load of pubs so I really wouldn't advise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gav240

there're not expensive to install in pubs.
    a company installs them and you share half the money that they take in
    methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP do you have toilet attendants?
    Could you buy a GHD and have the toilet attendant in charge of it, they give her 2 euro and she lets them use it for a few minutes? Or better she could straighten their hair herself, which might be safer than handing a straightener to a drunk person.

Unless there are laws that could prevent this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

They have them in Boomerangs in Temple Bar

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

they have them in the porterhouse central, always a q to use them which is a complete pain as the toilet is tiny and then you have all these drunk "wans" doing each others hair and cloging the place up

dont see the point myself but then again i would never straighten my hair anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I saw one of these when I was out and thought "what a novel idea". But looking at thing, it was completely mank. I mean, you don't know who could have been using it, they might have had lice etc. Big deal if your hair gets wet, girls I'm sure you can get over it and live.

OP, it's entirely your decision. If you think it's a good idea and it's worthwhile, go for it. It could be a real money maker for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

*giggles* wrote: »
    I mean, you don't know who could have been using it, they might have had lice etc.

How could lice possibly live on a 200'C strip of metal???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Magenta wrote: »
    How could lice possibly live on a 200'C strip of metal???

Point taken. The one I saw had all the wires hanging out of it. GHD + alcohol is never going to be a good mix

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Come.with.me

3-4 grand is a lot of money for a GHD!
    I've seen these when out clubbing and have never seen them being used, wouldn't use them myself just brush it through and back to the dancefloor :P

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Personally I would never use a public hair straightner. I would be too worried about germs, hair grease and/or other people's products be transferred on to my own hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

was in the local nightclub one night and two girls got into a fight in the toilet and one of them used the straightner to crack the other girl over the head with, then burnt her hand with it, hence why the nightclub was closed for a few days for "refurbishment" and then renamed lol. I think in general they are a great idea but as with everything there are alot of consequences! You just have to decide whether its a risk ur willing to take, i'd say you could extend ur insurance policy to include it though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

Magenta wrote: »
    OP do you have toilet attendants?
    Could you buy a GHD and have the toilet attendant in charge of it, they give her 2 euro and she lets them use it for a few minutes? Or better she could straighten their hair herself, which might be safer than handing a straightener to a drunk person.

Unless there are laws that could prevent this.

Only just seen this post now. Good question! Do u have toilet attendants? Even with this though there is always the risk of attack, and if the attendant straightens someones hair, theres bound to be one, AHH JAYZIZ YI FCKIN DZOPE YI, YER AFTER REEFIN D HAIR OURRA ME MALLEH!

Advertisement