Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine!

Options
  • 24-01-2010 11:12pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi ppl
    See on all the cao website that you need a 480 point minimum to do medicine...just wondering would you actually get a place with these points?
    And i know you need a hpat test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Provided you get the score in the hpat which is the cut off point, then I would assume so yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

I'd say you'd need around 520 or so at least...and a good hpat score.I think that was roughly the cut off point last year (for UCC anyway).There's still a lot of demand for medicine so despit the hpat, points are still relatively high.

The lowest anyone got in with last year was 520 pts. If you had a really, really good HPAT score (233 at least) you could get in with 480, but considering the highest HPAT score in the country last year was 230 you'd want to be a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

last year people got in with 515 points and then 200 on hpat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Yawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

pajero12 wrote: »
    Hi ppl
    See on all the cao website that you need a 480 point minimum to do medicine...just wondering would you actually get a place with these points?
    And i know you need a hpat test

No, you probably wont.

I dont know the points but I fairly sure that unless you do an absolutely obscene hpat you arent even in with a chance with <500.

(Highest hpat score last year was 230ish I think. But the 99th percentile was pretty wide, a friend of mine got 208 and was also in the 99th).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Bigrob wrote: »
    last year people got in with 515 points and then 200 on hpat
    That'd be just scraping in, 715 is the minimum you'd want to be getting to have a chance for medicine.

The "480 points minimum" thing only means that if you got 470 points, you're not getting medicine, they won't consider it, even if you got a 300 point HPAT (open to correction).

At 480 points, you'd want to be doing an excellent HPAT to get into medicine. It's theoretically possible like...just exceptionally unlikely.

You'd wanna be hitting 550> points really to have a good chance (although after 550 the 5 points = 1 point thing applies).

Advertisement