Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hold-ups and stockings

• 24-01-2010 11:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Occasionally I like to wear hold ups or stockings instead of tights. It's mostly as a treat for my OH because he loves it. But I'm so, so paranoid about people spotting the lace top! I usually try to wear a knee-length skirt, but sometimes I wear a shorter one, and I'm constantly pulling it down.

So my question is, when you wear them, are you not bothered about people seeing the distinctive top? Or are you paranoid like me, and wear longer skirts with them? Or do you just never wear them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not bothered about them being spotted, but I wouldn't wear a skirt that fully shows them off either. They're not actually that raunchy though - I wouldn't equate them to half a g-string being in full view or half a cleavage hanging out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I wouldn't mind if anyone caught a glimpse of them tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Seems I'm overly paranoid about them so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

No, no! I wouldn't go around openly flashing 'em but if I sat down and someone copped an eyeful... well, that'd be ok, I wouldn't be embarrassed or anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Same as Novella.

Wouldn't be flashing them but wouldn't worry about it too much either. Can't do hold up though. Too scared they'd fall down! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Looking for a decent pair of stockings/hold ups. I want properly black opaque ones. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I would also like some suggestions. I am quite slim and find the lace/elastic bit on hold up is too big for me so I can't wear them. Are there any brands that cater for a slimmer thigh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I bought my last pair in marks & sparks, they have a good range of sizes in there. Although some have a limited stock, you'd need to drop into one of the biggers stores.

Then the usual La Senza, Ann Summers pretty much any adult shops. La Senza had a 3 of 2 offer online recently worth keeping an eye out.

I get mine from www.figleaves.co.uk usually. They're much cheaper than La Senza, and they've got a good range.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

I'm with the others in that I wouldn't be flashing them about but sure if people see a glimpse I'm not bothered, plenty of people are in the same boat :)

I got these brilliant ones in Asos recently, hold really well too. They are out of stock atm but I'm hoping they come back in soon cause I really want another pair :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

But are they generally all that quite see through black?

618048-400x400.jpg

Whereas I want:

lv_Seamless-%20Opaque_Holdups.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Ladies from a mans perspective this are lovely. Simply because they look lovely. If a man is lucky enough to see the tops its a christmas bonus.

I would say the same thing to you i always say to my wife. Do not wear something that makes you fasion uncomfortable

and if you have it while i dont think you should flaunt it openly a little peak every now an again will not make you the s or t world.

Relax. They look lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

You can get holdups with a flat top. They don't necessarily have to have lace.

The following brands have flat tops:

Wolford 50 denier hold-ups
    Falke 50 denier hold ups
    Falke diamond 10
    Levante seamless

.....actually the list goes on and on, you can get them in Arnotts. You could always just wear mock holdups.

But can you get hold ups to fit a thin tight? I have bought two pairs in size small in the past and they are loose at the top (about two inches of space).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If you are having problems getting holdups to fit your thigh then surly wearing a stocking and belt is the best solution. Holdups are most definatly more attractive to a man then tights but they still pale into insignificence compaired to a stocking and belt. A seamed stocking. :rolleyes:

For those nice vintage look stockings try "What Katy Did".

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    If you are having problems getting holdups to fit your thigh then surly wearing a stocking and belt is the best solution. Holdups are most definatly more attractive to a man then tights but they still pale into insignificence compaired to a stocking and belt. A seamed stocking. :rolleyes:

For those nice vintage look stockings try "What Katy Did".

But there would still be a loose bit at the top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

mood wrote: »
    But there would still be a loose bit at the top!

This is probably the number one complaint from our customers: tights etc and they're sizing.

For example, if you are 5'8 but a size 8 you still have to wear a large as that's they way the sizing works. A small would barely go over the crotch. Although Wolford have intorduced a new sizing method for their newer styles which completley eliminates height from the measurements. Only hips and weight factor. Unfortunately this leads to people tearing open the packets to see the height despite the fact that its not neccessary.

For holdups and stockings the sizing for the majority of brands only goes by shoe size and height. Naturally people will always say ''well i have a thick thigh, so I'll take a large'' and unfortunatley there's no convincing them otherwise. The circumfrence between s/m and m/l is marginal imo

I agree with the other post about buying stockings, they generally have a closer fit than holdups.

*But here's a tip that I learnt from all the freebies I get. I have small legs too so I buy an over the knee in a medium or large which makes them obviously longer so for all intents and purposes they look exactly like hold ups. Obviously over the knees are normally opaque, so you are limited in that respect. And if you want you can attach a stocking belt to them, so they double as stockings. Be sure to get a larger size as you don't want to run the risk of putting strain on the nylon*

Over the knees have a much closer fit than holdups and stockings.

FYI: If you're wearing hold-ups, *nish*nish* on the mosturiser for at least a day (that goes for hands too as it intefers with the adhesive.)

Larianne wrote: »
    Same as Novella.

Wouldn't be flashing them but wouldn't worry about it too much either. Can't do hold up though. Too scared they'd fall down! :)
    macy9 wrote: »
    FYI: If you're wearing hold-ups, *nish*nish* on the mosturiser for at least a day (that goes for hands too as it intefers with the adhesive.)

Oh, this couldn't be more true. When I was living in Edinburgh, I travelled to Shannon to stay with my OH for a weekend. At home, on went the moisturiser, followed by the hold ups. After walking to the bus stop, I thought they felt a bit loose. I pulled them up. They fell back down. For the whole trip (a bus, walking through the airport, getting on the plane, getting off the plane, walking the 5 mins to arrivals, and walking up the stairs at the house), my hold ups wouldn't stay up. At one point they fell as far as my knees :o. Luckily I was wearing a longer skirt, and a long jacket, but it was so embarrassing!

Faith wrote: »
    Oh, this couldn't be more true. When I was living in Edinburgh, I travelled to Shannon to stay with my OH for a weekend. At home, on went the moisturiser, followed by the hold ups. After walking to the bus stop, I thought they felt a bit loose. I pulled them up. They fell back down. For the whole trip (a bus, walking through the airport, getting on the plane, getting off the plane, walking the 5 mins to arrivals, and walking up the stairs at the house), my hold ups wouldn't stay up. At one point they fell as far as my knees :o. Luckily I was wearing a longer skirt, and a long jacket, but it was so embarrassing!

Does this mean on the whole leg or on the top bit (sticky bit)?

I read that if you are wearing a silk dress and tights use loads of moisturiser on legs so you don't get static & clinging. Obviously not a good idea with hold ups/stockings!

mood wrote: »
    Does this mean on the whole leg or on the top bit (sticky bit)?

I read that if you are wearing a silk dress and tights use loads of moisturiser on legs so you don't get static & clinging. Obviously not a good idea with hold ups/stockings!

I wouldn't put any moisturiser anywhere but my face if I'm wearing hold-ups now! No, tbh, I'd just avoid my legs that day, and I'd make sure my hands were completely free of moisturiser before putting them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

This thread has made me decide to wear stockings next time I am going out.

I forgots about them! :)

I'll never be swayed to wear hold-ups though. I've enough things to be worrying about. :)

Advertisement