Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Speed

• 24-01-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I'm with UTV clicksilver on the 7.6mb connection (from Feb/March last year) and according to my router page it says the connection is -
    "ADSL Speed (DS/US) 6144/512 Kbps".
    What does that really mean?

Now I understand that the isp's always say 'speeds up to 7.6mb' etc and that at times if there are 23 other people downloading it's not going to physically come near that speed, but why doesn't it say its connected at 7600/512kbps?
    Do any routers connect at the full speed of the connection advertised?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Simon201 wrote: »
    but why doesn't it say its connected at 7600/512kbps?

Because you're not connected at 7.6 meg, you're connected at just over 6 meg instead. Without detailed line stats we can only guess why that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Simon201

ta spear - So should I be looking for a refund from UTV for the last 10 months being as they aren't giving me what I'm paying for? :D....

Here's some stuff from the router -

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 6144 Kbps 512 Kbps
    Noise Margin 14.6 dB 14.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 39.0 dB 22.0 dB
    Output Power 1.7 dBm 11.9 dBm

Dont really know what this means myself... and I'm not really complaining about my connection as such. Just curious as I may upgrade to the new 8mb connection, but if they cant connect me at the full 7.6mb now is there any point in upgrading?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Simon201 wrote: »
    ta spear - So should I be looking for a refund from UTV for the last 10 months being as they aren't giving me what I'm paying for? :D....

Here's some stuff from the router -

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 6144 Kbps 512 Kbps
    Noise Margin 14.6 dB 14.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 39.0 dB 22.0 dB
    Output Power 1.7 dBm 11.9 dBm

Dont really know what this means myself... and I'm not really complaining about my connection as such. Just curious as I may upgrade to the new 8mb connection, but if they cant connect me at the full 7.6mb now is there any point in upgrading?

I doubt you'll get anywhere in looking for a refund, since all ADSL packages are sold as being up to a certain speed, and never guarantee the speed claimed. You lines at the max sync speed it supports, so there's no upgrade possible.

Advertisement