Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dino departure fattened emu

Options
  • 25-01-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

What did the birds do when the giant dinosaurs got wiped out? Became just like them!
    That's what a recently published study shows.
    The study, led by Dr Matthew Phillips, an ARC Postdoctoral Fellow at the ANU Research School of Biology, looked at the mitochondrial genome sequences of the now-extinct giant moa birds of New Zealand. To their surprise, the researchers found that rather than having a flightless relative, their closest relatives are the small flying tinamous of South America.

Their molecular dating study suggests that the ancestors of the African ostrich, Australasian emu plus cassowary, South American rheas and New Zealand moa became flightless independently, in close association with the extinction of the dinosaurs about 65 million years ago.

Full article here.

SS0908_walkLikeDinosaur2.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Here's an interesting article about the topic.

http://locolobo.org/Dromiceiomimus.html

Its not a scientific article, but an interesting read nonetheless.

One of the most interesting parts is when examining his own pet emu, he noticed that it has a vestigal arm, with a claw still intact, something which I wasn't aware of.

emuarm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fascinating. I had no idea ratites had claws! I was under the impression that the hoatzin was the only one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Galvasean wrote: »
    Fascinating. I had no idea ratites had claws! I was under the impression that the hoatzin was the only one.

Same.

I would have thought it would be obvious if it were true.

The guy who wrote the piece is a Youtube user called AronRa. His videos are excellent. As far as I know he is an undergrad studying Taxonomy/Cladistics. So he should have a good idea what he is talking about.

Really? Haha! I've actually atched some of his videos. Small world.

Actually this thread reminds me of an excellent blog I read on Titanis walleri entitled No prehensile clawed hands for you, Titanis:
    http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2008/06/raven_the_clawhanded_bird.php

Titanis_Horse.jpg

PS: anyone care to guess what my next creatreoftheweek will be? :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement