Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CRT television issues

• 25-01-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Thought I'd chance my arm and see if anyone has an answer to this.

I have a Mitsubishi CRT that I use for my non HD consoles. The problem being, I get odd results when trying to use import consoles.

Ps2 - av 60hz - Black and white

Super Famicom - RGB scart 60hz - Black and white
    (And even weirder, when I use a lower powered PSU I get colour, but with wavy blue lines)

ZX spectrum - RGB scart 50hz - Black and white

So you'd think my tv doesn't support 60hz, right?

Wrong -

Neo Geo - av 60hz - Black and white
    Neo Geo - RGB scart 60hz - perfect colour image

Does anyone know why my television is giving a perfect image to a Japanese Neo Geo through RGB scart, yet won't do the same with my Snes Famicom with the exact same connection?

And yes, I've tried both av1 and av2!

I'm just a little worried my Japanese Saturn isn't going to run on it either (And as a result, will have to go in the sitting room on an LCD tv along with the Super Famicom..yuck)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

my dreamcast displays in colour on my 50hz only black diamond telly when its set to 60hz, how old is the tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have no clue. It's a hand me down. Probably 10 years?

What's confusing me is as I mentioned, it will display my Japanese NeoGeo in full colour through RGB...yet not my Super Famicom?

Then I thought that maybe the Super Famicom scart cable is missing the RGB pin...but why isn't my ZX Spectrum working as that scart cable is most definitely RGB.

Ah, the confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

You may have a 60 hz framerate with PAL color encoding sub-carrier. There are different TV standards that mix PAL or NTSC colour with 50 and 60 hz frame rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_television_system

(well thats assuming the TV is using composite video and not component on the SCART i spose)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fergus wrote: »
    You may have a 60 hz framerate with PAL color encoding sub-carrier. There are different TV standards that mix PAL or NTSC colour with 50 and 60 hz frame rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_television_system

(well thats assuming the TV is using composite video and not component on the SCART i spose)

Thanks for that! I'll give it a look over.

Hmm, I was wrong about the Famicom scart connection. It's missing most pins. I checked a pin out diagram and all the RGB ones aren't there.

The Neo Geo on the other hand has absolutely every pin.

/Runs off to check Saturn cable.

The Saturn one is the same as the NeoGeo - every pin is there.

So I guess that's the issue. The cable I have connected to the Super Famicom isn't actually RGB.

Woops. I r idiot.

I guess that means the Saturn will work. yay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had this problem before on a Black Diamond. My japanese Saturn and Euro PS2 displayed 60Hz in Black and White while the Xbox, Gamecube and Dreamcast display in colour.

The reason for this is that the Xbox, Gamecube and DC are displaying in 60Hz PAL which is the full PAL resolution but at 60Hz and supported by most TV's even ****ty ones even ones that don't support NTSC. The japanese console displays in NTSC 60Hz of course but Euro PS2's never supported PAL 60Hz, the 60Hz option is for NTSC 60Hz and I remember there was a big outcry about the PS2 not supporting PAL 60Hz like the dreamcast did. So it sounds like you have a TV that supports PAL60 but not NTSC.

RGB scart is a universal standard and a lot of the times if you can't get an NTSC signal through an AV cable you can get it in colour using an RGB connector.

• Advertisement
Advertisement