Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought new Mulberry Yeats stove, advice please

• 25-01-2010 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Bit of a DIY novice to be honest. Not envisioning problems as is to be put in previous site of coal range cooker. House built in 60s and in very windy exposed spot, will I need flexi-pipe? (hoping not) Have to get professional fitter as has a back boiler, but want to keep costs down and not get ripped off. Pipes already in wall behind chimney, currently is a cupboard where old range was. Do I need a heat rated hearth or can I set directly onto ceramic floor tiles? I know minimum I will need stove pipe, clay chimney adapter and cowling, plate and fixings for chimney top. Also, any good chimney sweeps in west cork??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sarahflynn

bump!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Well Sarah, I haven't much stove fitting experience to be honest. From my experience with heating, boilers etc you should stick with manufacture installation instructions. Their is no real point in cutting corners, you'll start to loose benefits from stove if you go down that route.

Most modern day ranges and stoves etc require a flue around 6" in dia, If your chimney is say 9" and your stove requires only a 6" your stove might not work properly, heat could be lost should flue dia be greater than recommended / required, you might also experience more problems with heat to water transfer, again down to heat racing up an over sized flue.

Having stove raised off floor a bit will help with convection, best check out instructions, might see a mention of recommended height.

Reconnecting to existing heating system shouldn't be to much work, if all has been working well during the time you had coal range then its only a matter of connecting up flow and returns to stove, cant see a plumber spending much more than a day connecting / filling / venting etc.

Advertisement