Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hey my fellow boardsies....need your help

• 25-01-2010 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭

hey i was wonderin if any of you boardsies have a second hand laptop you would be willing to sell....preferably under the 200 range.

mine recently broke and need a subsitute badly

all help will be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You could probably get the old one fixed for cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Rozabeez wrote: »
    You could probably get the old one fixed for cheaper!
    went to click.....the dc inlay needs to be replaced.... said they couldnt source the part....unless someone on here knows their laptop repairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭masherella88

you know that ink refill shop...can't recall the name but it's opposite the coffee mill kinda and near that bedshop me thinks. well i think they sell second hand laptops so you could try there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

*Shudder* Click. Stay away from there man, best to try the ink shop as masherella says! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I actually fix computers part-time,

DC inlay? The guys in Click unfortunately don't have a clue when it comes to most things and although it's possible that you mis heard what they said to you. For instance if you type "laptop dc inlay" into google this is one of the first results lol :eek:

Does it just not power on at all?
    Did you drop it or did it just happen randomly?

Post up any details you have.

If you want more than just my opinion then post on the Computer + Tech forum here, http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=9

• Advertisement

What about the new place? 'PC Doctor and More'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

PC Doctor are pretty good, nicely priced too, just make sure they dont try to sell you their virus software (best there is apparently, and conveniently sponsors the shop too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Effluo wrote: »
    Does it just not power on at all?
    Did you drop it or did it just happen randomly?

Post up any details you have.

That happened to me before (It randomly wouldn't turn on)
    and the fixer dude said that the Motherboard was Kaput, had to get it replaced, Works fine now.

Well,
    I'm not sure if this constitutes as advertising or not,(plz remove if you think so) but i do it on a "no fix, no fee" basis. Maximum(usually less) labour charge is €50 for students and then it's just the cost price of whatever components you may need.
    I put an anti-virus program on the pc for free and do lots of extra regular clean up stuff. Oh and I give you the use of a laptop (without battery) for a €50 deposit.

Pretty sure they won't beat that :D

Norrdeth wrote: »
    That happened to me before (It randomly wouldn't turn on)
    and the fixer dude said that the Motherboard was Kaput, had to get it replaced, Works fine now.

Ouch i'd say that was expensive :(
    If you are talking about a laptop i'd actually be suspicious if he changed the laptop motherboard. Very very niggly to put in, not the easiest things to get hold of and very expensive.
    People say that being working with IT is the new "mechanic", cause people don't have a clue what's wrong with them and if the mechanic says something the customer will just accept he's telling the truth.
    Loads of articles online about fraud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npqm2VeYQ3o

You see what I mean!

• Advertisement

I'll leave your post, but any further discussion by PM please Effluo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Well this was in the Czech Republic when it happened so it wasn't that expensive (around 80 Euro). What I think happened was that the capacitors were fried from leaving it on too much with low battery without the power in, they could have been some of the faulty ones but I'm not sure.

Norrdeth wrote: »
    Well this was in the Czech Republic when it happened so it wasn't that expensive (around 80 Euro).

It's highly unlikely at that price.
    Even though the labour in Czechi would be cheaper than here, there would not be that much of a difference in the price of the motherboard. Which would be costing at least around the €100 mark and it is a nasty job installing the motherboard.
    He might have just had the exact same mobo in a scrap machine and gave it to you for free? Unlikely though :(
    If you go to the same place the next time make sure you get a second and even third opinion

Don't just take my word for it
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070928130220AA5HC4p

effluo, it's not that it wont turn on...its that everytime iplug inmy charger it wont charge the battery, and i've tried other chargers so i know its not the charger thats broken.

laptop is acer travlemate 5520

serial number LXTKT0X1307480BAEC2000

oh right.
    Take the battery out, leave it out and see if it works then.

On some laptops if the battery doesn't work then it won't power anything at all, but if you take the battery out then on most laptops it will power the pc direct.

oh right.
    Take the battery out, leave it out and see if it works then.

On some laptops if the battery doesn't work then it won't power anything at all, but if you take the battery out then on most laptops it will power the pc direct.
    will try that...here's hoping *fingerscrossed

On another note, You definitely shouldn't be looking for a new laptop though!

The one you have now is ok, although it could be better. Vista and 1 gig of ram and a graphics card that takes from your ram is not a good mix :(

On another note, You definitely shouldn't be looking for a new laptop though!

The one you have now is ok, although it could be better. Vista and 1 gig of ram and a graphics card that takes from your ram is not a good mix :(
    you're telling me....graphics are crap on it....explains why im always gettin killed in call of duty matches

jpcarlow wrote: »
    you're telling me....graphics are crap on it....explains why im always gettin killed in call of duty matches

Well If the ram wasn't upgraded b4 you bought it, COD or any game wouldn't run very well on it.

I just was thinking there and was wondering if you can remember if there should be any charge left in the battery?

Did you just go to switch it on one day and it wouldn't work or Did you notice battery stop charging b4 the laptop wouldn't switch on?

It's fine if you can't remember

Well If the ram wasn't upgraded b4 you bought it, COD or any game wouldn't run very well on it.

I just was thinking there and was wondering if you can remember if there should be any charge left in the battery?

Did you just go to switch it on one day and it wouldn't work or Did you notice battery stop charging b4 the laptop wouldn't switch on?

It's fine if you can't remember
    i was using it and the battery was dying so i plugged in the charger and it wouldnt charge...got my friends charger for the same laptop and it wouldnt work either...think there's like 10 min left in the battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

i was using it and the battery was dying so i plugged in the charger and it wouldnt charge...got my friends charger for the same laptop and it wouldnt work either...think there's like 10 min left in the battery
    Swap out the battery in to your friends laptop and plug it in, if it charges then it sounds like the power jack is the fault as Click diagnosed.
    Does your input look like this?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-5315-5520-DC-DC-IN-Laptop-Power-Jack-TESTED_W0QQitemZ280439995054QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414b86baae
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-5520-Laptop-DC-Power-Jack-with-Cable_W0QQitemZ120444887762QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Laptop_Accessories_LaptopCables_Connectors?hash=item1c0b1322d2

honestly i couldnt say if it looks like either of those

Effluo, take it to the PM. You've already been asked.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Effluo, take it to the PM. You've already been asked.

soz

honestly i couldnt say if it looks like either of those
    I had a bit of a look again and I'd be 99.9% sure that what I listed would be suitable for your laptop, good news is it's a straight forward job as you wouldn't have to solder anything, it would be literally stripping it, plugging out the old one and pushing in the new one. You'd be able to do it yourself no problem.

Ian Beale wrote: »
    I had a bit of a look again and I'd be 99.9% sure that what I listed would be suitable for your laptop, good news is it's a straight forward job as you wouldn't have to solder anything, it would be literally stripping it, plugging out the old one and pushing in the new one. You'd be able to do it yourself no problem.
    which part? or both?

it would be literally stripping it, plugging out the old one and pushing in the new one. You'd be able to do it yourself no problem.

There's quite a bit more in it than that!

Sure he can go ahead and try it, but at the same time I don't many/any of my mates could do it.

For those particular models there all the same, they re-use parts to cut down on manufacturing costs, jp buy the one that effluo linked, it's cheap and has a good length on the cable, if you get stuck with anything send me a pm otherwise this'll be thread of the day :pac:
    There's quite a bit more in it than that!
    No there's not, if he takes his time he'll do fine.

• Advertisement

No there's not, if he takes his time he'll do fine.

Well, yes there is!
    Have you ever done it?

It's not just like sticking in some ram, you have to take the laptop apart for this.

Well go ahead and try it if you like.

But, all i'm saying is fixing computers is not for everyone and although there may not be great expertise in changing the jack and cable, almost everyone I know would not be able to do it.
    You have to be very technically inclined(if you know what I mean)

Advertisement