Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hey my fellow boardsies....need your help

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Effluo wrote: »
    Well, yes there is!
    Have you ever done it?

It's not just like sticking in some ram, you have to take the laptop apart for this.

Well go ahead and try it if you like.

But, all i'm saying is fixing computers is not for everyone and although there may not be great expertise in changing the jack and cable, almost everyone I know would not be able to do it.
    You have to be very technically inclined(if you know what I mean)
    Yes actually I have done the same job on a dell inspiron and that required soldering, all this job needs is patience and some small screwdrivers, stop trying to make out that it's brain surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Ian Beale wrote: »
    stop trying to make out that it's brain surgery.

I'm not trying to make it sound like anything other than what it is.

Ok so you can do it, heck you can even solder parts, but not everyone can. Go to the Comp & Tech forums everyone will agree with me! Go to the Building & upgrading forum everyone will agree with me!

Some people can't put pc parts together, some people can(that's why it's a profession). I don't think anyone knows if JpCarlow can, only himself.

P.S. Just also something to note, you could try and really give the power thing a "bit of a wiggle".
    All power jacks on all laptops are dodgey and you might just wiggle it in the right way! Although this would only be temporary.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

considering we're talking about broken laptops let me ask for some advice....

I was given my dad's old office laptop at the beginning of term for college. I think he first got it around 2004 makiing the laptop 6 years old. It's a fujitsu siemens lifebook of some description.

Recently it's been full of problems. It had already had to be fixed before I got it due to viruses and other problems.

Then after I got it:
    Firstly the hinges broke so the screen is either open all the way or closed. there's no way of it standing on its own if you get me.

Then the keyboard stopped working. half the keys obn the right side just don't work.

I bought a new keyboard to fix that when something started acting up and the lifebook panel kept appearing and 's kept getting typed. I couldn't do anything as that kept appearing.

Finally the laptop gave out one day and wouldn't even open windows it got as far as booting up and then just kept beeping incessantly.

I left the laptop over the exams and when I turned it on yesterday all of a sudden Windows opened as normal. However all the other problems are still there.

Basically my q is is the laptop worth getting fixed or is it time to say bye bye laptop and get a new one?!

P.S. Jpcarlow can't say I didn't warn u that Click aren't the most reliable! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

You want to get a new laptop. I'll take a look at it if you like but a new one might be a good investment :)

Then after I got it:
    Firstly the hinges broke so the screen is either open all the way or closed. there's no way of it standing on its own if you get me.

Then the keyboard stopped working. half the keys on the right side just don't work.

I bought a new keyboard to fix that when something started acting up and the lifebook panel kept appearing and 's kept getting typed. I couldn't do anything as that kept appearing.

Finally the laptop gave out one day and wouldn't even open windows it got as far as booting up and then just kept beeping incessantly.

I left the laptop over the exams and when I turned it on yesterday all of a sudden Windows opened as normal. However all the other problems are still there.

Well that's a doozy! :eek:

I hate to say it but I think your laptop may be haunted, get the exorcist quick! Ahhhhhhhhhh :p lol

So when you say the "lifebook" logo kept on appearing when exactly did that happen? Like were you surfing the net, then it would appear. Would it take up the whole screen?

Secondly the new keyboard you got, did you replace the old one with it or is just being used from a usb port, "with a cable".

The beeping could be from lots of things, When you say it was beeping "incessantly" do you mean it would beep very quickly for a sustained period of time? Or was it beeping kinda like the morse code, where the beeps had different lengths. Or was there a specific number of beeps?

Unfortunately I can't answer your question until you answer mine :(

• Advertisement

So when you say the "lifebook" logo kept on appearing when exactly did that happen? Like were you surfing the net, then it would appear. Would it take up the whole screen?

It was like some lifebook application panel thing. It was just a small pop up menu thing. I think it was looking for details to set up an email account or something like that
    Secondly the new keyboard you got, did you replace the old one with it or is just being used from a usb port, "with a cable".

I bought a new keyboard that plugged into the usb port which worked just fine.

The beeping could be from lots of things, When you say it was beeping "incessantly" do you mean it would beep very quickly for a sustained period of time? Or was it beeping kinda like the morse code, where the beeps had different lengths.

It just kept beeping and wouldn't stop. None of the ''F'' options worked either i.e. the boot menu

It was like some lifebook application panel thing. It was just a small pop up menu thing. I think it was looking for details to set up an email account or something like that
    Well that can be stopped easily, it's strange though as you wouldn't expect that kind of problem from anything but a virus. And that's highly unlikely considering it's one of your pc's apps.
    I bought a new keyboard that plugged into the usb port which worked just fine.
    Ok, well that means the that the rogue keyboard which is half broken is prob causing the "ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" problem. That can be disconnected.

It just kept beeping and wouldn't stop. None of the ''F'' options worked either i.e. the boot menu
    Well it's probably the biggest of your problems. Faulty ram, ram out of place, System fan not working, these could all be your problem although it's only ever going to be one of them(well it's only ever going to be one thing, surely). If it's the motherboard then, I'd say "bye bye" laptop.

If you're going to keep the laptop, then i'd get this looked at first as this is what is really stopping your laptop from working for you, it's really the only big job.

The beeping sounds like the RAM to me.

New ram can be obtained here: http://www.crucial.com/

However, you probably want a new laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Save yourself the cost and trouble and buy a netbook, much cheaper in the long run then maintaining a 6 year old laptop

He's right!

• Advertisement

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Save yourself the cost and trouble and buy a netbook, much cheaper in the long run then maintaining a 6 year old laptop

I think thats prob what I'm gonna end up doin! Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Advertisement