Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you buy rear projection TV's anymore?

• 25-01-2010 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Looking to get a new TV. Ive a 42" Sony RPTV at the mo but its not HD and I'm looking to go a little bigger. Ive never really been that impressed by LCD or Plasma screens to be honest. They ruin standard def feeds, cost an arm and a leg and so on. Ive always been impressed with rear projection tv's tho. Plus they dont seem to lose quality when theyre bigger like flat panels do. I dont give a crap about them being huge, I mean who cares, the table that you put a flat screen on has the same footprint as an RPTV anyway.

Only problem is I cant seem to find ANYWHERE that sells them this side of the Atlantic. I know that Samsung and Mitsubishi still make them but not in Europe apparantly. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Cheers
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

You could try ebay but afaik you could be punished for doing so in customs charges.
    Haven't seen much on a rear projection in shops in a long time. What about led tv? Any better for ya? Best avoiding plasma so you're right there.

Last resort is to go projector. Only thing is there are various enviromental issues to consider (room size, windows, ambient lighting, sources). If you can then I believe a projector would be better. They do however need new bulbs every 200 hours or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Projectors just sound disastrous to be honest. Why do you say to avoid Plasma? If I was to buy a flat panel I had planned on getting a Plasma. Theyre meant to be way better no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

congo_90 wrote: »
    They do however need new bulbs every 200 hours or so

That should read 2000 hours and many go up to 3/4000. For a projector to be effective if needs to be in a darkened room and the darker the better. I have one and use it mainly for movies and sport. I wouldn't be able to use it for daily use because of the light control issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

Steoob wrote: »
    Projectors just sound disastrous to be honest. Why do you say to avoid Plasma? If I was to buy a flat panel I had planned on getting a Plasma. Theyre meant to be way better no?

Videophiles prefer the picture from a plasma screen provided it's not in bright sunlight as this affects it's contrast a lot more than an LCD screen. The main diasdvantage of many LCD screens is that the picture quality dimishes as the viewing position moves off centre.

At the recent CES exhibition Panasonic intimated that some of this years panels would have Pioneer's Kuro technology under a different name, so if you want to get the best possible picture wait a few months, or even pick up one of the current models when they start clearing them out. The 2010 range is to be announced in February. Check out AVforums for lots of dicussions on LCD/Plasma, etc.

Advertisement