Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republican prisoners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Those armed criminals don't go to war with anybody. They murder civilians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

junder wrote: »
    The crimanals are no longer scared of the paramiltrays, intergrate the prisons and you will some the so called top republicans shanked in the showers. Just because you join the paramiltarys does not make you hard

The "normal" prisoners are still scared of Republican prisoners. In Portlaoise, the Republican prisoners are left alone by other prisoners. They know not to mess with them and in turn, the Republicans keep to themselves.

If you integrated the landings in Portlaoise and a Republican got shanked, especially a high ranking member... The place would kick off big time

[QUOTE=Liam Byrne;64172820[/QUOTE]

Threatening prison officers or other criminals should not be a factor and should be stamped out; the state should run the prisons as it sees fit, not the criminals.[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't be a factor, unfortunately it is though.

I know of one Prison Officer that had to move house twice as a result of crossing Republican prisoners. It shouldn't be that way but PO's working in Portlaoise have families and their own safety to think of. As it is now, the Republicans keep to themselves and don't cause any trouble. When they're crossed, the above is an example of what it can result in.

It's all well and good saying the state should run the prison as they see fit etc. but you're not a Prison Officer working in the prison. You don't have to worry about your own safety or your families safety if somethin happens.

As it is, the way Portlaoise is run works. If they decide to start rocking the boat just for the sake of sticking it to the prisoners, PO's will suffer because they're dealing with prisoners all day.

At the end of the day, the prisoners aren't going anywhere in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

FTA69 wrote: »
    Generally Republican prisoners don't get any special treatment within the prison system, the likes of civilian clothes, education instead of work, visits, letters, remission etc were conceeded to all prisoners years ago.

It seems that they do. Bizarre if true.
    Republican prisoners in Portlaoise maximum security jail enjoy a relaxed regime in which they hold military-style parades, have murals on the walls and can order in steak dinners, it has emerged.

The Prison Officers’ Association (POA) said it is “alarmed” the parades are permitted and said prison officers even had to withdraw from landings when the dissident subversive groups were parading.

POA deputy general secretary Eugene Dennehy said there were “huge murals” on the walls of landings similar to “something you’d see on the gable end of a house in west Belfast”.

He also said flaps had been put on the CCTV cameras on the landings to limit the area the cameras can cover in the jails. He called on Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern to intervene.

I came across this while looking for the story behind the OP's claim that segregation was to end. I can't find any report of any such move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

It funny because if a Brit soldier had shot them you wouldn't consider them murderers. Typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

dvpower wrote: »
    It seems that they do. Bizarre if true.

I came across this while looking for the story behind the OP's claim that segregation was to end. I can't find any report of any such move.

There is parades and there is murals.

Couldn't tell you about the camera flaps though.

• Advertisement

PomBear wrote: »
    It funny because if a Brit soldier had shot them you wouldn't consider them murderers. Typical.

Right on.
    The prison service are just a big gang of kidnappers.:rolleyes:

Right on.
    The prison service are just a big gang of kidnappers.:rolleyes:

no, they are political prisoners, US and UK soldiers kill civilians every day but i don't see them being imprisoned

no, they are political prisoners, US and UK soldiers kill civilians every day but i don't see them being imprisoned

You think they shouldn't be imprisoned?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It's a topic for a separate thread, but what makes you think people wouldn't want to see them imprisoned ?

Anyway, the criminals we are discussing have not only been arrested, but convicted and imprisoned, and even their supporters here agree that they would resort to non-political violence and intimidation if they didn't get their own way, so the above is a red herring, tbh.

You think they shouldn't be imprisoned?:eek:

I believe dissidents fight is as legitimate and probably more legitimate than the US and UK force but yet one is imprisoned and one isn't. Its not sensical

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It's a topic for a separate thread, but what makes you think people wouldn't want to see them imprisoned ?

Anyway, the criminals we are discussing have not only been arrested, but convicted and imprisoned, and even their supporters here agree that they would resort to non-political violence and intimidation if they didn't get their own way, so the above is a red herring, tbh.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make? Because dissidents resort to 'non-political' violence my point is irrelevant??

I believe dissidents fight is as legitimate and probably more legitimate than the US and UK force but yet one is imprisoned and one isn't. Its not sensical

UK and US forces when captured by their enemies (e.g. the Taliban in Afghanistan) are imprisoned (or, more likely, executed).

Who else would you expect to imprison UK or US troops? Their own governments?

I don't understand what point you're trying to make? Because dissidents resort to 'non-political' violence my point is irrelevant??

No, it's not irrelevant in general, but the thread is about "republican prisoners".

And so debating what should be done with other people who aren't (a) republican or (b) prisoners is irrelevant.

I mean, if I said "Bertie Ahern should be in jail", that would be off-topic too.

My additional reference to their "non-political" violence and intimidation tendencies was purely to show that the "political" angle is purely a red herring, as they are in prison because they are violent thugs.

If I was in prison for beating someone who'd - god forbid - attacked my niece, for example, I wouldn't go intimidating or beating anyone else who simply didn't let me have my own way while in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, getting about 5%* of the poll in the referendum on the Belfast Agreement creates some sort of legitimacy? At least Bush and Blair got elected and re-elected.

* Note that given the extremeness of the poll result, a material percentage may have been from people who intended voting Yes, but actually voted No, whereas in a normal result such errors would balance each other.

UK and US forces when captured by their enemies (e.g. the Taliban in Afghanistan) are imprisoned (or, more likely, executed).

Who else would you expect to imprison UK or US troops? Their own governments?

They aren't imprisoned, they are kidnapped, they aren't tried and convicted and help in a prison which is what they deserve in terms of justice when they kill civilians, and yes I would imprison politicians, they are the most responsible. They don't call George Bush and Tony Blair war criminals for nothing

No, it's not irrelevant in general, but the thread is about "republican prisoners".

And so debating what should be done with other people who aren't (a) republican or (b) prisoners is irrelevant.

I mean, if I said "Bertie Ahern should be in jail", that would be off-topic too.

My additional reference to their "non-political" violence and intimidation tendencies was purely to show that the "political" angle is purely a red herring, as they are in prison because they are violent thugs.

If I was in prison for beating someone who'd - god forbid - attacked my niece, for example, I wouldn't go intimidating or beating anyone else who simply didn't let me have my own way while in prison.

True enough, I was slightly off topic with the point I was trying to make

They are in prison because they are fighting a war. You might not see it as legitimate, I don't either. But I see alot more wars and more widespread wars out there and they are alot less legitimate in my opinion.

Victor wrote: »
    So, getting about 5%* of the poll in the referendum on the Belfast Agreement creates some sort of legitimacy? At least Bush and Blair got elected and re-elected.

* Note that given the extremeness of the poll result, a material percentage may have been from people who intended voting Yes, but actually voted No, whereas in a normal result such errors would balance each other.

but the Belfast Agreement's terms have been fulfilled and that is a arge reason as to why they are fighting

They are in prison because they are fighting a war.

They are in prison because they committed violent crimes.
    You might not see it as legitimate, I don't either.

If everyone committed violent crimes based on their own personal view of what was "legitimate", we would be in serious trouble.

I mean, as far as I've read, child abusers don't see anything wrong with their actions. That doesn't make it right.
    But I see alot more wars and more widespread wars out there and they are alot less legitimate in my opinion.

We agree on that point. It doesn't take or impact from the crimes that these prisoners are convicted of.

They are in prison because they committed violent crimes.

If everyone committed violent crimes based on their own personal view of what was "legitimate", we would be in serious trouble.

We agree on that point. It doesn't take or impact from the crimes that these prisoners are convicted of.

Going back to the US and UK forces, would you like to see all soldiers there be convicted if they kill people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

True enough, I was slightly off topic with the point I was trying to make

They are in prison because they are fighting a war. You might not see it as legitimate, I don't either. But I see alot more wars and more widespread wars out there and they are alot less legitimate in my opinion.

What war?

• Advertisement

Going back to the US and UK forces, would you like to see all soldiers there be convicted if they kill people?

The war in Iraq is illegal, if that's what you mean.

But I'm not on here defending that or making claims that if convicted they should still get their own way through intimidation and violence while serving time for their crimes.

Now can we get back on-topic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

but the Belfast Agreement's terms have been fulfilled and that is a arge reason as to why they are fighting
    Genuine question: are there words missing from this sentence?

The war in Iraq is illegal, if that's what you mean.

But I'm not on here defending that or making claims that if convicted they should still get their own way through intimidation and violence while serving time for their crimes.

Now can we get back on-topic ?

Sorry but it's a good example, the term terrorist is thrown around too easy on some and not on others, that's my point

Victor wrote: »
    Genuine question: are there words missing from this sentence?

Sorry, typo

but the Belfast Agreement's terms haven't been fulfilled and that is a large reason as to why they are fighting

What war?

trying to remove a foreign occupation. A war which has been fought for the last 800 years in Ireland

Sorry but it's a good example, the term terrorist is thrown around too easy on some and not on others, that's my point

There's a massive difference between fighting against someone invading and bombing an entire country for its oil or other resources, with most of the country objecting and fighting against it, compared to a small minority blowing the crap out of people indiscriminately.

Iraq didn't get a chance to vote to stop the madness. We did.

I will also add that - even within Iraq - there's a massive difference between people engaging in a battle with the invading troops versus anyone who indiscriminately leaves a bomb where it will blow the crap out of innocent people - those who do so are still terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

trying to remove a foreign occupation. A war which has been fought for the last 800 years in Ireland
    there is no foreign occupation were i live and last time i heard the RoI has not been invaded so again what war?

there is no foreign occupation were i live and last time i heard the RoI has not been invaded so again what war?

ROI has been invaded and we gained independance in nation's terms, fairly recently. The six counties are yet to gain that independance, the war is to insure this happens in their eyes.

There's a massive difference between fighting against someone invading and bombing an entire country for its oil or other resources, with most of the country objecting and fighting against it, compared to a small minority blowing the crap out of people indiscriminately.

Iraq didn't get a chance to vote to stop the madness. We did.

I will also add that - even within Iraq - there's a massive difference between people engaging in a battle with the invading troops versus anyone who indiscriminately leaves a bomb where it will blow the crap out of innocent people - those who do so are still terrorists.

but the Good Friday agreement as it stand is a failure, very few terms have been carried out to their entirity. So the effect of voting and the Provisional IRA's ceasefire was not worthwhile if what was agreed on is not happening

• Advertisement

but the Good Friday agreement as it stand is a failure, very few terms have been carried out to their entirity. So the effect of voting and the Provisional IRA's ceasefire was not worthwhile if what was agreed on is not happening

The effect of voting WAS the Provisional IRA's ceasefire; that's why most people voted the way that they did - to stop the crime, murders and violence.

Anything else is a political matter and should be dealt with as such; a return to violence is not acceptable, and the GFA cannot be used as an excuse.

Advertisement