Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well/pump house quote gobsmacking!!

• 25-01-2010 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Anyone out there that could give me an idea what expense i would be looking at to build a small masonary house over a sunken well with a submersible pump.

I recently got a quote for 4500 euros to build roughly a 4'x4' or 5'x5' block insulated, slated roof with concrete slab on floor. I wanted it well insulated with the rate this winter is going and plastered on the outside to match the residential house as this well is sunk in the front garden.
    It took me a while to piece the phone together after that quote!! I thought it was ridiculous in these recessionary times.

All i want is enough space to work in there if there is a problem with the submersible pump. I was thinking of a wooden shed and try and insulate it some way. I would still need the concrete slab, but in another few years i would be replacing that type of shed due to rot. It would be a waste of money which is scarce with alot of people including myself. Someone suggested a dog house!!

I have suffered the frozen pipe syndrome in the galvanised garage so far and this i am going to foam insulate during the summer. The water treatment system is screwed and 3 floods later the plumber keeps finding a new problem with it. So my new year's resolution this year is to be ready for next year!!

So if anyone can give me any info, advice, prices there would be a very grateful corkonian hopefully prepped and ready for next year!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Worker wrote: »
    Anyone out there that could give me an idea what expense i would be looking at to build a small masonary house over a sunken well with a submersible pump.

I recently got a quote for 4500 euros to build roughly a 4'x4' or 5'x5' block insulated, slated roof with concrete slab on floor.

It sounds a bit stiff alright. I'd get 3 more quotes to compare, like for like.
    A timber shed could last decades if well maintained.
    If you lag all exposed pipes and guages with Armaflex & insulate the storage vessel with 100mm fibre glass jacket, then you shouldn't suffer frozen pipes. Even in the recent big freeze.

Is your house built?
    If not, why not get each trade to do a bit on your well house as they work on your main house? Groundworker, Blocklayer, Roofer, Plasterer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

i have the same problem, have a well to the front of my site on the list of "must do that sometime" jobs is a well house. big freeze in january left me without water for a few days.

not sure if it froze at the well or at the manhole outside the house. was thinking the same, about getting a little shed and insuating the hell out of it. can't believe those quotes you'd build a block shed for a few hundred euro surely.

Advertisement