Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories of severe Overpowering?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Sometime RPG's present you with an opportunity to get really stupidly powered up to such a degree that your safe for most of the rest of the game until the monsters start catching up again, sometimes it's a really slim chance that's just too hard to reach for, or sometimes it's a little over sight in the game development system.

Among my own favorite ones is one I did in FF8:
    Before I left balamb for the first time I tried to see how strong I could get using only the resources available to me on the island. I learned the refine abilities on all the Gfs I had (shiva, ifrit & quezacotl) and then tried to find some things to refine, one of the better early ones ones I found was dino bones (from T-rexaurs) refining into quakes (100 of those send your stats through the roof) and fish fins easily giving everyone 100 water but the best and longest effort was winning this dude down at the pier who would occasionally have red dragon cards.
    ten of which refine into a red fang? (got the name right?) which in turn refine into flair spells(mhu hah ahah).

with the flair spells and I think the quake spells I had Squall running on 6000Hp and 130 something str, if you were padantic I'm sure there are loads more you could do (I think in the end I only bothered with 20/40 flair spells, thing of what you could've done with 100!) and also, I believe it's possible to get "card" ability from quezacotl? if so you could also try for occasional boss cards from monsters and try refine them into more magic.

It's a bit of a nerdy topic, but it'd be funny to see if anyone got ones in games I played that I just never though of or came across, there was on in FF7 where you press some alarm and fight monsters from later in the game which I never happened across. anyone discover other ones?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVIII is probably the easiest game ever to break and become superpowerful in. On my second playthrough I just concentrated on getting the stat +1 on level up GF skills. By the end of disc 1 my team was totally unstoppable and I never had to use a spell or Summon since normal attacks did way more damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dragons Revenge

Lost Odyssey is extremely guilty of this. The big optional dungeon at the end of the game allow you to level up after each fight until about level 80, after that, there are the black Kelolons (I think) that are super easy and level you up for each one you kill. I jacked up 30 levels in that place for the 3 hours I was in there. The rest of the game was pathetic. I was half asleep and fighting the last bosses by just pressing the A button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

I did a playthrough of FFVII where I was determined to beat the midgar zolom and get beta the first time round. Think I had my party at level 30 something and everyone had all except their level 4 limit breaks. Game was a cakewalk for a LONG while after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I was determined to beat the midgar zolom and get beta the first time round
    lol, I remember trying that.
    In FVII there was a particular forest, I think it was the first forest you could actually encounter in the game and was by a mountain side inbetween Fort Condor and Junon.
    In this forest are groups of 5 monsters ("copperwire" I believe) that had a nasty attack and these flying monsters which weren't particularly nice either. with the damage the monsters inflict you can easily give your characters all fury status and start literally flying out limitbreaks, as well as that your killing 5 (sometimes 3) monsters per battle and getting your kill count up very quickly. After a while you can have all your limit breaks (except 4's) and recruit yuffie and get her's aswell!
    there are the black Kelolons (I think) that are super easy and level you up for each one you kill.
    lol, nice

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFVIII is probably the easiest game ever to break and become superpowerful in. On my second playthrough I just concentrated on getting the stat +1 on level up GF skills. By the end of disc 1 my team was totally unstoppable and I never had to use a spell or Summon since normal attacks did way more damage.
    I remember trying that! the way the GF's access were spread out annoyed me though.

Is it true the skill devour also makes stats go up perminantly by one? I think I read that somewhere, if it;s true, it;s a pity you can't access the GF sooner and make the game look really silly.:pac:a-hyuck, (as if it needed another point of exploitation), I used to like how broken but fun FF8 was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement