Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team Of The Decade - Centre Backs

• 25-01-2010 4:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

Two picks for this one folks. Think i might be safe with my nominations:rolleyes:
    At least this one is not so clear cut. Two votes per poster.

Team so far

ShayGiven

Gary Neville

Ashley Cole

EPL TEAM OF THE DECADE CENTRE BACKS VOTE 179 votes

Sol Campbell
    0% 0 votes
    Richard Dunne
    10% 18 votes
    Joleon Lescott
    6% 11 votes
    Kolo Toure
    0% 0 votes
    Jamie Carragher
    1% 2 votes
    Rio Ferdinand
    2% 5 votes
    Richardo Carvalho
    18% 33 votes
    Olof Mellberg
    11% 20 votes
    Stephan Henchoz
    2% 4 votes
    Nemanja Vidic
    0% 0 votes
    Marcel Desailly
    11% 21 votes
    William Gallas
    3% 6 votes
    Martin Keown
    1% 2 votes
    John Terry
    1% 3 votes
    Sami Hyypia
    18% 33 votes
    Ledley King
    11% 21 votes
    Mikael Silvestre
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

theres technically another year left in this decade

[/anal]

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Helix wrote: »
    theres technically another year left in this decade

[/anal]
    According to the inaccurate dating of the birth of a man who's credentials were foggy at best, while making the amateur mistake to not include year 0

I voted Hyypia and Ferdinand :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

while making the amateur mistake to not include year 0
    D

there was no zero in the gregorian calander:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Has to be Sol Campbell for me with Martin Keown next to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Has to be Sol Campbell for me with Martin Keown next to him.
    surprised Sol Campbell doing so well. Has been out of the radar for a long time now. that whole incident at arsenal raised doubts about his temperament but glad things between himself and the clubn have improved. For me its Terry and Hypia. Terry especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rio Ferdinand and Richard Carvalho. IMO, it's a no brainer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Carvalho and Ferd/Vidic, but will prob plump for Vidic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote: »
    Rio Ferdinand and Richard Carvalho. IMO, it's a no brainer.

Campbell at his peak slightly edges Ferdinand imo, plus he was never really prone to the lapses in concentration Rio gets the odd time.

Carvalho is a no brainer though, I agree. I can't believe more people voted John Terry, Carvalho has been bailing him out since the day he joined the club. Don't believe the Sky Sports hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this category certainly isn't a foregone conclusion, but for me, it's Hyypia and Ferdinand.

Hyypia, although he had a bit of a dodgy spell for a year, was exemplary, forming two great CB partnerships, first with Henchoz, then Carragher. we hadn't seen a cultured centre back of his ilk at Anfield for a long time. he dominated and lead our defence through our comeback towards the top of the table, tightening a backline that had the previous misfortune of including the likes of Babb and Scales.

Even in his twilight Liverpool years he churned out awesome performances. The United performance at Old Trafford last year springs to mind immediately.

here's his farewell, just for sh*ts and giggles...

he also has a Champions League, UEFA Cup, Super Cup, FA Cup, League Cup and Charity Shield winners medal in his personal collection; only that elusive Premier League medal is missing from his English domestic collection.

Ferdinand, quite simply, has all the attributes of the ultimate CB. Athletic, strong, quick and a supreme ability to read the game, he has been a rock in the heart of the mostly all-conquering Utd team of the late 00s in particular.

his return to Utd defence could well be key to their success this season. if fully fit, himself and Vidic are the best partnership in the League. Vidic gets a lot of the headlines, probably due to his fiercely combative nature, but without Rio, just watch how comparatively vulnerable he can look.

one of his big games that i remember was the Liverpool game at Anfield in 07/08, where he had Torres in his pocket :(.

he's won everything there is to win in the domestic game, with a World Cup to look forward to in the summer if he stays fit.

i've a feeling that would top his career off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

very tough category. Hyppia, Rio, Carvalho, Terry, Vidic and Campbel are all very good picks.

• Advertisement

just to have one moan about the poll ;)

adams did more in his 3 years this decade than, imo, lescott could ever dream of doing.

SlickRic wrote: »
    just to have one moan about the poll ;)

adams did more in his 3 years this decade than, imo, lescott could ever dream of doing.

really? You can only take ahlf of the 99/00 season so prob only made about 10 or 12 appearances. Was a regular (enough with 26 games) the following season but only 10 in 01/02.

really? You can only take ahlf of the 99/00 season so prob only made about 10 or 12 appearances. Was a regular (enough with 26 games) the following season but only 10 in 01/02.

honestly.

but it's more to do with how utterly overrated lescott is than how brilliant Adams was for 3 years.

honestly.

but it's more to do with how utterly overrated lescott is than how brilliant Adams was for 3 years.

I do think Lescott has been disappointing since his move to City, but he did some fantastic stuff at Everton. He probably is over-rated, but at Everton he was a lot better than he has been for City.

I do think Lescott has been disappointing since his move to City, but he did some fantastic stuff at Everton. He probably is over-rated, but at Everton he was a lot better than he has been for City.

i'll concede that. he did some great stuff at Everton.

although i will say Jagielka had a huge say in how impressive he looked. and what put Lescott over in many people's eyes as a top player were his goalscoring exploits.

i do think he's decent, but he shouldn't be in this poll.

in truth, Adams shouldn't be either, but i was more making a point about my anti-Lescottness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Campbell & Ferdinand.

i'll concede that. he did some great stuff at Everton.

although i will say Jagielka had a huge say in how impressive he looked. and what put Lescott over in many people's eyes as a top player were his goalscoring exploits.

i do think he's decent, but he shouldn't be in this poll.

in truth, Adams shouldn't be either, but i was more making a point about my anti-Lescottness.

fair enough. Good point regarding Jagielka too, if Lescot make the poll Jags prob should too. He has been a fantastic signing for them. However, I would say both players brought out the best in each other. A strong partnership is what makes CBs look great. It is why polls like this are always a bit odd imo. I'd find it hard to split up Vidic and Rio, for example. Same with Terry and Carvalho.

ha.

i just realised Dunne has 6 votes.

priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Martin Keown has 2, Richie Dunne should have about 40.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Martin Keown has 2, Richie Dunne should have about 40.

and if dunne should have 40, i shudder to think what Campbell, Hyypia and ferdinand should have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Went for Carvalho and Vidic. Really tough to leave out the likes of Campbell and Terry.

I find Richard Dunne at 20% completely baffling and a little bit sad. Okay he he is a likable chap and he is Irish but come on! Let's try to be a bit impartial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Sami and Rio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

went for Rio and Terry, purely as a partnership perspective

Rio and carvalho wouldnt be good as a partnership IMO and rio is a better defender.

This poll really shows up peoples team-coloured glasses though.
    Mellberg and Toure getting votes?

Shocking altogether. How people dont vote for Rio, ill never understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Went for Carvalho and Campbell.

The Ledley King option should come with a free Michael Dawson, for when Ledley is injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can understand Campbell, I really can. He was outstanding for a period.
    I can understand Hypia, he marshalled that defence for a decade. I think he's not quite in the same league, but he played for a weaker team so.

I honestly can't understand anyone who picks Terry over Carvalho. I really can't. I just can't think that you'd watch them in games and think that Terry was the superior defender.

PHB wrote: »
    I honestly can't understand anyone who picks Terry over Carvalho. I really can't. I just can't think that you'd watch them in games and think that Terry was the superior defender.

that's like saying you can't see how someone could pick Vidic as the better defender than Rio.

Terry does things in defence that Carvalho just doesn't do, and vice versa of course.

Terry is, just about, the best near post defender in the league.

also, imo, as good as Carvalho can be, he is slightly overrated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Terry winning.... Baffling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

CHD wrote: »
    CHD for chelsea manager :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Why is Rio getting voted for centre back when he's hardly ever been first choice at man utd, and is usually played at left back, with the likes of Brown and Silvestre ahead of him consistently......

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Why is Rio getting voted for centre back when he's hardly ever been first choice at man utd, and is usually played at left back, with the likes of Brown and Silvestre ahead of him consistently......

don;t forget Neville. stalwart CB that he is.

CHD wrote: »

i presume you're being a little facetious?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Thought Carvalho would beat him in a poll on here and probably should. He made Terry look better than he is. Carvalho and Vidic for me are the two best centre halves to grace the EPL during the decade.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gallas doing very poorly. That said, I didn't vote for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Is this board full of Brits? Imo the two leaders in the poll are partners of the two best CBs of the decade.

Carvalho and Vidic for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ha.

i just realised Dunne has 6 votes.

priceless.

He has been an excellent prem centreback for half a decade. Not that strange.

How on earth people can choose Lescott, Vidic or Jag based on the whole 'decade' premise is beyond me personally.

Hyppia and Campbell.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    He has been an excellent prem centreback for half a decade. Not that strange.

to be nominated, no, not strange at all.

to have as many votes as he has, yes, ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

to be nominated, no, not strange at all.

to have as many votes as he has, yes, ridiculous.
    People see things differently, we all don't look at one player(or extremely rarely) and agree that he is the best in his position.

Its not a surprise to me to see that he has votes, a lot of guys only remember the recent stuff, and this year he has been the best CB in the Premier League and by some distance, add in that there are Irish people on this forum who wear green goggles and I'm surprised that he doesn't have more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

eagle eye wrote: »
    People see things differently, we all don't look at one player(or extremely rarely) and agree that he is the best in his position.

Its not a surprise to me to see that he has votes, a lot of guys only remember the recent stuff, and this year he has been the best CB in the Premier League and by some distance, add in that there are Irish people on this forum who wear green goggles and I'm surprised that he doesn't have more.

Aye, lots or mediocre defenders who haven't performed as well as him or for as long as him in the prem are being touted.

Not every great defender can win a title. There are only so many places on the top 2/3's squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I went for Carvalho and Vidic, but for me it has to be Carvalho, as a chelsea fan i believe just behind essien, he has being the bust buy of the new era and has always being a top performer, reguarly out plays Terry and is much better overall defender and on most days the best in the league by a mile.

Advertisement