Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap net cafe in melbourne

Options
  • 25-01-2010 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

i am using the global gossip computers in my hostel and am spending a lot of money/time on them trying to get some job applications out. its $1/15mins which seems expensive, anyone know a net cafe around the city center which offers better value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

lg123 wrote: »
    i am using the global gossip computers in my hostel and am spending a lot of money/time on them trying to get some job applications out. its $1/15mins which seems expensive, anyone know a net cafe around the city center which offers better value?

There's one on Flinders street opposite the station (close to Uni Lodge on Flinders - the name escapes me) that does internet, scanning and printing. Was reasonable enough as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

if u have a laptop, you can get free wireless in some places, for example, a couple of cafes on chapel st. or any McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

can pick up a free wireless here but i don av a laptop. will check that place on flinders, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

peter pans on elizabeth st, near the vic markets, runs at 2bucks an hr with the first 15 minutes free nit sure about printing scanning etc but im sure it does! only thing is its mad busy so ya may have to wait to get a comp!!!

only other option is head to st kilda there's a few places out there for about 2.50 an hour! decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Can you just get a pay as you go dongle for your laptop?

• Advertisement

Beachband wrote: »
    Can you just get a pay as you go dongle for your laptop?

You have to top up $50-100 to get any kind of value out of it. Plus they cost up $149.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I have the telstra dongle. pretty expensive! the credit only lasts a month so $100 a month is crap value! The one from "3" is much better. it has a 12 month expiry on the credit so $100 a year is grand! tho obviously you'll use the 6GB the $100 gets u way before the year is up! still though, its better than the telstra one.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I have the telstra dongle. pretty expensive! the credit only lasts a month so $100 a month is crap value! The one from "3" is much better. it has a 12 month expiry on the credit so $100 a year is grand! tho obviously you'll use the 6GB the $100 gets u way before the year is up! still though, its better than the telstra one.

I had $100 on it, used it up and then topped up another $100 before a month was up. Got a bonus $100 for it but had to top up again before the month was up. Forgot about topping up and lost the $100 bonus. Raging!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

I was thinking about either buying an unlocked dongle(which can operate in Oz, and can use the same frequency), then go with 3 network when I am over there. Or sign up with 3 network here, bring the dongle to Oz and carry on paying for the 3 contact from Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I have a 3 bill pay modem from home. Worked great in Brisbane, and is fine here in Melbourne speed wise. Everywhere else it was pretty worthless though. Even in Sydney, coverage was rubbish before it stopped connecting altogether.

So I got an unlock code for the modem, and bought a $30 Optus broadband sim only. You can buy Optus and Virgin sim only, with everyone else you have to get the modem as well. Have used less than $60 of credit since I got it about 2 months ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement