Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-white display on cold boot

• 25-01-2010 8:29am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This problem just started happening recently - whenever I boot up in the morning, instead of the usual sequence of black screen, manufacturer's screen, boot screens, desktop I just get a brief black screen, then an all-white screen, then it alternatesbetwen black and white a few more times before staying static on white. It sounds as though the OS is booting normally.

When I reset with the power button the PC boots normally. The graphics card is a couple of months old... I don't know what else is relevant really. I assume it's hardware-related as it doesn't get as far as the manfacturer's screen so the problem occurs before the OS is called into play.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Sounds like a graphics card issue. Have you a spare to swap in and try?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't unfortunately. It's a new card though (couple of months) so under guarantee. I'm just not sure if it's worth the hassle of getting it replaced versus the hassle of double-booting it.

D'oh, just remembered there is a disabled on-board graphics card on my mobo. Dumb question, but do I need to remove the PCI-E gfx card after reenabling the onboard in the BIOS so the onboard one will be the default at boot?

I could try, but don't want to end up fiddling about in the dark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

You should enable the onboard graphics before removing the alternative, yes.

Last night I left the PC running with the monitor off. This morning when I turned the monitor on again the screen was al white and I needed to restart twice to get a display.
    Would I be right in suspecting the screen is on its last legs?

• Advertisement

Confirmed monitor problem - identical behaviour on a second PC. It'll most likely die soon.

Advertisement