Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Service work to rule today (question)

Options
  • 25-01-2010 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if todays action will include the motor tax offices?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

technically yes but you shouldnt see much of a difference tbh. i think the work to rule thing in the media is a bit blown out of proportion imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Poly wrote: »
    Does anyone know if todays action will include the motor tax offices?
    Yes if they are members of IMPACT. Many in the motor tax offices would be but some might not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Work to rule - how do these people get up in the morning?? :(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I went up to Navan to tax my car, only 3 people ahead of me!
    I had to rush to get the cheque filled out before my number was called!

in and out in 5 mins

If this is work to rule, keep it up!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Poly wrote: »
    If this is work to rule, keep it up!
    Maybe nobody in Navan does overtime anyway. I mean "work to rule" isn't no work - it's just no extra work outside core hours. I don't agree with the dispute, but for something like the civil service the difference might not be all that noticeable in many areas.

• Advertisement

do yo understand what "Work To Rule" is?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You obviously don't know anything about working to rule! Usually it means working as per contract and not doing duties which may be normally done but not strictly one's job. For example, staff who normally act as keyholders would hand the keys back to management and request that they make alternative arrangements for opening and closing premises.

You obviously don't know anything about working to rule! Usually it means working as per contract and not doing duties which may be normally done but not strictly one's job. For example, staff who normally act as keyholders would hand the keys back to management and request that they make alternative arrangements for opening and closing premises.

Yes - I am well aware of what working to rule is all about.
    It's just for the vast amount of people in the real world it is not an option they would choose for all sorts of professional reasons.
    I mean if you get in at half 9, have two coffee breaks and leave at 5 without fail what more do you want?

It's just for the vast amount of people in the real world it is not an option they would choose for all sorts of professional reasons.
    I mean if you get in at half 9, have two coffee breaks and leave at 5 without fail what more do you want?

what private sector job do you have that allows you to start at 9.30am???? can i have one?

just because an office doesnt open until 9.30 doesnt mean the staff are not in there since earlier on.....similar to the banks opening at 10am but the staff start at 9am.....

gumbo wrote: »
    what private sector job do you have that allows you to start at 9.30am???? can i have one?

just because an office doesnt open until 9.30 doesnt mean the staff are not in there since earlier on.....similar to the banks opening at 10am but the staff start at 9am.....

I start at 8am and finish at 6pm and have one half hour lunch break.
    That's my choice as I want as much time as possible to do my job.
    Half 9 start, coffee breaks and early finish are traits of the civil service.
    And still they want to work to rule - I mean get a grip!

• Advertisement

8am to 9pm with no 'coffee breaks'. ;) just 45mins lunch and 30 mins evening tea.

8am to 9pm with no 'coffee breaks'. ;) just 45mins lunch and 30 mins evening tea.

And do you work those hours 5.5 days a week for 48 weeks of the year?

Half 9 start, coffee breaks and early finish are traits of the civil service.
    And still they want to work to rule - I mean get a grip!

and you have proof of this or are you just guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I assume all public sector workers are now not going for little smoke breaks or making any personal phone calls etc now? Or is it only working to the letter of their contracts in one direction?

I find it hard to sympathise with a lot of public sector workers because 1, I know a couple of office based ones and by their own admission they do nothing (not like they can argue seeing as they work 4 days most weeks and are on the phone of in a nearby shopping centre for good chunks of days they actually are in work) and 2 when things happen like when I went in to the social welfare office a couple of weeks before christmas to sign back on to casual employment (I have to go in to our office each day to see if theres work) an I que with 3 people in front of me for an hour while 22 (I counted) of them have a party in the back (thats with cake and drinks etc, before anyone suggests they were just standin around doing something) in full view of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭galway2007

I take it u must work in the public sector or else u are one of the fools that believes everything u hear and read and one of those that could not see that the government were using the public sector wage cut as mean of getting a big wage reduction in the private sector hence the min wage is as good as gone
    well done to the media u have just take more of the low paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

galway2007 wrote: »
    I take it u must work in the public sector or else u are one of the fools that believes everything u hear and read and one of those that could not see that the government were using the public sector wage cut as mean of getting a big wage reduction in the private sector hence the min wage is as good as gone
    well done to the media u have just take more of the low paid

i guess your one of those fools who buys david beggs line about how the main reason he is opposed to the goverment cutting public sector pay is because it would result in private sector employers following suit , spare us

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I saw the 'work to rule' instructions for my place of work today. A group of us looked at them and decided that until someone explained them to us we would just carry on as normal. So far as I could see the instructions would not have any direct effect on the public though, just inconvenience management a bit.
    This thread did not take long to turn into ill-informed PS bashing though. I wonder how many of the comments on Boards are made on employers' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

looksee wrote: »
    This thread did not take long to turn into ill-informed PS bashing though. I wonder how many of the comments on Boards are made on employers' time.

Some of us have plenty of time off lately to spend on boards.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 picpress

looksee wrote: »
    I saw the 'work to rule' instructions for my place of work today. A group of us looked at them and decided that until someone explained them to us we would just carry on as normal. So far as I could see the instructions would not have any direct effect on the public though, just inconvenience management a bit.
    Thare was very little sign of any instruction in my place of work with people just scratching their heads as to what it was all about even for those who are union members!! So I just worked through my lunch hour as normal and attended a course in the afternoon on new technology that we have introduced (I'm not joking) perhaps it might be different tomorrow.

BTW before the IBEC TORYBOYS butt in - those scratching their heads were continuing to work very hard as normal:D

And do you work those hours 5.5 days a week for 48 weeks of the year?
    No (but as I work in essential services I am often requested to do overtime and therefore work 8am to 9pm on average 6 days per week. I was merely making the point that, despite what many think, many public servants do not work 'office hours'. If a replacement can't be found for me, I can't go home. Last year I worked three 24 hour shifts because of this. Would that happen in your place of work?

picpress wrote: »
    people just scratching their heads as to what it was all about even for those who are union members!!
    Why would non-union members be confused? Wouldn't they be expected to work as normal as the trade union has no mandate over them? (It's a genuine question from a trade union member).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Why would non-union members be confused? Wouldn't they be expected to work as normal as the trade union has no mandate over them? (It's a genuine question from a trade union member).

some non-members would not like to be seen to be "breaking" the dispute (e.g. similar to crossing a picket) and will not do things their colleagues are not doing
    I saw the 'work to rule' instructions for my place of work today. A group of us looked at them and decided that until someone explained them to us we would just carry on as normal

this seems to be replicated everywhere thus far, its looking like a complete disaster tbh
    This thread did not take long to turn into ill-informed PS bashing though

not as much of it as per usual though; I think everyone is getting bored of the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

is it actually possible for most PS workers to actually do any less?!

Idbatterim wrote: »

is it actually possible to get non BS in your posts on this matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

LOL, PS workers already work to rule.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yes, it is. Okay my experience is with the civil service - there are many lazy people in here. I've seen a fair few who clock in and turn around to go get breakfast before returning their desk. I've seen those who open up the crossword and spend the next half hour doing it. I've seen those with 20 years on the job experience, at the top of their pay scale, inable (or not bothered) to do work new joiners do.

And yet I've also seen those who work large chunks of overtime, time they may not get back (you can only clock up a certain amount of overtime - it's not endless). I've worked with very friendly and helpful civil service people who will ignore this work-to-rule and get on with doing good work.

I've many issues with the PS/CS and how it's structured, rewarded, etc. but I will certainly not agree with someone implying most do as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

CiaranC wrote:
    LOL, PS workers already work to rule.

Less of the flamebait, please, people!

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Stekelly wrote: »
    Some of us have plenty of time off lately to spend on boards.:mad:

But yet you can still afford an internet connection and a computer? :eek:

Looks like we could save some more money by cutting Social Welfare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

But yet you can still afford an internet connection and a computer? :eek:

Looks like we could save some more money by cutting Social Welfare

A cheap comment. He / she could have had a computer for ages, or be posting from a friend / library or relatives connection. At least he / she is not posting while he / she is getting paid to do work by the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Japer wrote: »
    A cheap comment. He / she could have had a computer for ages, or be posting from a friend / library or relatives connection. At least he / she is not posting while he / she is getting paid to do work by the taxpayer.

sometimes it's just toooooo easy :rolleyes:

the comment was designed to wind up one half of the arguement (thanks for biting), just like his and other's are designed to wind up the other half... i'm not on either by the way, i just cant believe how what is supposedly one of the most educated populations in Europe have fallen hook, line & sinker for the divide and conquer tactics of this government, when those actually to blame are bailed out without question and seemingly without blame or retribution. As usual in this country its those at the bottom of the ladder (both in private and public sectors) who get to carry the bucket of ****e. Those in the private sector lose their jobs while those at the bottom of the public sector have had so much money taken off them that they would actually be better off on welfare.

Get angry by all means people, but please aim your anger in the right direction.

In the mean time i'll continue to return here purely for the entertainment factor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

This work to rule is a minor step and shouldn't really inconvienece too many pople that much altogether. Think it's just a warning shot to the gov to stay away from pay next time round

Advertisement