Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Irish Broadband Throttle?

• 25-01-2010 10:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

Just wondering. I'm on the 3Mb Breeze package.

My ping times are good and when downloading something with HTTP I can max out my connection.
    My torrents frequently trickle in (I know how to use torrents) but that's not somthing I really care about.
    But I've started to use Skype and it's crap (for me) which I thought was the norm as it's free or cheap. Video is very blocky and delayed and ringing landlines even in Ireland is a bit hit and miss.
    I tried it out in my folks house and it was perfect and they're on the cheapest of the cheap plans with Perlico.

So I'm just wondering if IBB throttle or prioritise some packets. Anybody know or have experience with IBB that is the same as mine or totally the opposite to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

As far as I'm aware yes they do. Torrents etc. Try changing the default port if you can find how.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

As far as I'm aware yes they do. Torrents etc. Try changing the default port if you can find how.

Ah if they throttle it's not just ports they'd be looking at, they would be able to tell what packets are being used for. I have changed ports and set my firewall appropriately.
    I don't really care about the torrents as they get there eventually but for the Skype, it makes it unusable for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

I haven't used skype in ages, but vent/teamspeak work fine. The only thing I had a problem with was torrents. Changed to http dl's. I'll see if a friend is online tonight & I'll test skype.

Advertisement