Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Paddy's Hill....the land between Portmarnock and Malahide. Any info.

Options
  • 25-01-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

Does anyone have any info about the area between Portmarnock and Malahide, I think its called Paddy’s Hill.
    The area with the tarmac walking paths, there’s also an old cottage there.

I walk there regularly and it’s a really nice spot, just wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks in advance Folks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's a small bit of information about it on Malahide Historical Society's website:

http://www.malahideheritage.com/Historical%20Guide%20-%20Part%201.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

There's a small bit of information about it on Malahide Historical Society's website:

Thanks Dizzy.

Wows, thats pretty impressive stuff.

I'll enjoy my strolls a lot more now. :)

Thanks again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

That's a really interesting website too, thanks Dizzyblonde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Is Paddys Hill the corn-fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Kiera wrote: »
    Is Paddys Hill the corn-fields?

Hi Kiera.

Yeah I think so, well thats what I was referring to in my original post. :pac:

Great spot, gets a bit water logged though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

if you're interested it might be worth your while getting in touch with the historial society themselves. My memory is very very rusty but I remember researching malahide years back and I think that area was excavated in the early 1980s. i also think the society have some pieces from the excavation. (*as I said my memory is rusty so I hope this is right) I think Malahide itself had Mesolithic peoples and they found evidence of them living on the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Would it be from Robswall back to portmarnock?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Hi all,

Historical society would be a great spot to look for further information, Roger Green just wrote a book on Malahide so I'd recommend him. They advertise upcoming events on teh notice board on the right hand side of the doorway to Cafe Provence on Church Street, Malahide Village and ususally have seminar etc in St. Andrews Church Hall.

Its called Paddy's hill because of a suggestion that its where St. Patrick lived for a short period after his arrival in Ireland. The cottage, which use to have a court yard of outbuilding behind it (the Portmarnock side) were demolished when I was a child. Gannon bought the lot from the Tracey family of Seamount House (still living there) and traded off this section for housing at Robbswall.

It used to be corn except in the last few years of the 80's when I distinctly remember spuds being grown. Its in public ownership now and the plan is to allow it to become a large scale wild meadow with wild, indigenous flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I actually only noticed it the other day for the first time driving past, must take the dog up there for a walk tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Ah ha, i was thinking it was the Traceys fields alright. Brings back memories of being a bold teenager :o In my day we just called them the "corn fields"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Kiera wrote: »
    Ah ha, i was thinking it was the Traceys fields alright. Brings back memories of being a bold teenager :o In my day we just called them the "corn fields"

Of course, I have no idea (or should I say recollection) of larking about in the fields at all, none whatsoever.:rolleyes:

Advertisement