Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] How bad does it look, really? Be honest

• 25-01-2010 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

This is supposed to be day 27 photo (so you're getting it two days early), but the presence of noise in the bottom corners, especially on the right side, is still bothering me after extensive attempts to fix. Opinions and suggestions?

73E702FD960347CCB91031E5824BA36D-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I like it... the simple blue tones give it lots of atmosphere...

But I suspect it might be better with more height (to accentuate the tall trees) and a little less width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fenster wrote: »
    This is supposed to be day 27 photo (so you're getting it two days early), but the presence of noise in the bottom corners, especially on the right side, is still bothering me after extensive attempts to fix. Opinions and suggestions?
    -pic-

Is that not cheating ? I thought the whole point of the 365 thing was to take a picture a day :confused:

Anyhow, I think you're getting caught up on the details. Too much pixel peeping. Certainly looking at it here I don't give the corners more than a cursory glance and nothing really pops out as being intrusive or annoying. Seen bigger, or on a different screen (in work so this monitor is probably all over the place) I guess it might be different though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

pixel-peeping, I'd probably have to clean my screen and zooooooooom in to notice it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I have nothing else to do but worry at this photo, so I am. The idea behind the 365 days is that I save each image and maybe get them all printed into a photobook come the end of 2010. Flaws would stick out like a sore thumb then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

You gotta learn to embrace the noise. :p

I did a workshop with Yervant a while back. He would say while showing his wedding albums, 'Just look at the beautiful grain.' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

The idea behind the 365 days is that I save each image and maybe get them all printed into a photobook come the end of 2010. Flaws would stick out like a sore thumb then.

Unless your photo book is gonna be A3/enormous in size you should be fine?

But I can seeeeeee it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

How are people expected to see noise on a postcard sized image? I don't get what it is that you're looking for here?

Just put it through Noise Ninja or any noise reduction s/w equivalent...

Nisio wrote: »
    Unless your photo book is gonna be A3/enormous in size you should be fine?

It might just be. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Another option to kind of enhance the noise would be to use the topaz adjust plugin for PS. You can make some amazing looking images with a few simple clicks. Noise is actually good on some images, I like it on some images, landscapes & some portraits long really good with some noise / grain in them.

I like your image, I also think it might work well in a portrait format though to focus more on the tall trees and the sun poking through them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

am I the only one who likes noise? I think it can add a huge amount of atmosphere to photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

It might just be. :D

Get the noise ninja plugin for photoshop its excellent

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

noise ninja is good but softens a fair bit in the process, used to love it... not so much anymore

I came away dissatisfied with Noise Ninja when I used it. Removing noise involves strategically softening the picture, which I feel, at least for my style, can be avoided and taking more care with my exposure and mounting (tripod). That said I *am* dead happy with that photo otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninalucy1985

I have nothing else to do but worry at this photo, so I am. The idea behind the 365 days is that I save each image and maybe get them all printed into a photobook come the end of 2010. Flaws would stick out like a sore thumb then.

Keep it natural.. To be honest, I was looking for flaws in this pic because you mentioned it. Other that that I would have to say it was beautiful,
    Only thing id say was the tree tops were cut off.. but i like the pic, and ps. whata fab idea!!!! 365 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

in general localized noise reduction is the way to go, otherwise you soften/remove too much detail from the whole photo.

99% of the time I dont use any noise reduction even with iso3200, tho the raw files are relatively clean on my 1d mk2.

my favourite 'noise' comes from neopan 1600! It retains a surprising amount of detail @iso3200 and the tones are lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

The noise is absolutely fine, dont stress about it. I thought you were taking a photo as day for 365 aswell, thats the whole point of the project for me, getting myself out there each day to take a shot.

Advertisement