Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Review: MoviesTwit.com

Options
  • 25-01-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Looking for a review of my new site

Twitter Movie Reviews

Would appreciate if you could give me some advice, maybe tweet a review or two or maybe even some ideas for it.

At the moment it takes 15 minutes for a review to appear, will shorten it if it takes off another bit.

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Moved from development, although maybe it should go to Entrepreneurial and Business Management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The content starts way too far own the page. The page content starts more than 50% of the way down the page. The content starts about 350 pixels down. Try to get this less than 200.

Tables are used for some of the layout. This should be done in css, otherwise maintenence and change overheads will increase.

hth and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

ya thought that myself, my design skills aren't too hot so I'm always putting off having to hack the template didn't notice the tables though I try and use as many divs as possible.

What do people think of the idea etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I quite like the idea actually, I could see it catching on :) Good thinking ! If I was on Twitter I'd probably use it

I know you said design isn't your forte, but I'd put a bit more effort into that side of it. It'd be a shame to see the site fail as a result of bad design.

The typography is a bit crude, in particular the 'how to add a review' part.

As I said, good idea, improve the design a bit and it'll be great.

Also FYI, cheaphomeheat.ie isn't working

What would you recommend for the typography? I'm open to any and all suggestions regarding this as this is definitely my weak point.

Thanks for letting me know about the other one, think it's working now all right?

• Advertisement

hmmmm, well for the main body text I think it looks better in Arial, and with a slightly larger font. Also add some space between the 'Welcome to...' part and the 'The best live,....' part.

If you can make the background image 100% then I'd do that, I don't think the white spaces on either side contribute anything really.

I'd probably make the search more conspicuous also, assuming it works okay.

tbh the tutorial part on the right looks fairly cheap and nasty, I'd probably rethink it and do up a new one, as an image if it's easier.

That's all I can think of, and it's just my opinion !

The heating site is still not working for me :confused:

Nice one for that, will make a few of those changes there. Not sure if I can remove the white space easily without stretching the images etc. But I'll look into it.

Will work on the tutorial section too so, you're probably right it's not really jumping out at anyone and it's the most important part of the site.

Will raise it up too if I can UGH!!!

What's wrong with the heating site for you, very strange.

Dunno mate, it's just not loading at all, straight to a 'problem loading page' page.

Could be something to do with my computer, who knows... Someone else can give it a try and see.

edit:

Also getting:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

...on irishvids.com

Nice one for checking them for me, will get onto a few of the lads.

Ya Irish Vids is on the long finger for a long time :)

Advertisement