Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Money? Forgive me if I'm suspicious

Options
  • 25-01-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Hi all

Good to be back! Right, had a guy around to my house the other day claiming to be from CSO (not CSI as I initially thought! :) )

He said he's doing a survey for the Consumer Price Index and our house was chosen at random. The survey is completed every 5 years and you get 40 quid for completing it. My housemates invited him in and he started by speaking to one of them about how much our bills are etc. He then questioned each of us individually for about 20 minutes about how much we earn, pay on tax, how many credit cards, how much interest we pay etc etc. Took our PPS numbers and all.

I checked out the CSO website and there IS such a report which has the details he was asking us. His ID seemed fine and his laptop & software seemed fine too. He left us with these (very official looking) diaries where we write in every single thing we buy over the next 14 days. He said he'll be back to pick them up and then we'll get a One 4 All voucher posted out to each of us afterwards.

Even though everything (so far) checks out, I just have a bad feeling about this. Call me paranoid but I would have thought we'd get a letter or something prior to him dropping by our house and asking to see our payslips etc.

If I look at it from a scam-ola point of view, the 14 day diaries given him 14 days to do whatever he wants without any of us getting suspicious, then a further 3 weeks or so before we start asking where our vouchers are. Also, is the government really issuing out 40 quid vouchers to every person who completes this survey??? Seems like a lot of money to be throwing at people.

Has anyone else done one of these surveys previously? He said they're done every 5 years and last time they issued a 20 quid voucher. Do you think it's some kind of scam to take PPS numbers or bank details, or even just to see how many credit cards we have and what's inside our house? Or am I being way too paranoid?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 The Face Kicker

You should have instantly kicked the survey guy in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Call the CSO head office and check if they have a guy called joe bloggs doing surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

he is going to kill you all and take your daily life.

Just doing the ground work first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I heard about a woman who did one of those surveys once.

And the next morning she woke up in a bath of ice with a cut in her side and on the mirror in lipstick was written "Thanks for your kidney!" :eek::eek::eek:

True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Bank details seems kind of un-necessary to me for one of those surveys. but yeah, you should just call up the CSO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

was his name tom ripley? i think i saw a documentary about him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Back in my day the robbers did their own ground work and actually followed you around for a few weeks to learn your patterns. This guy just getting you to fill out a diary for him is just lazy. Then again it means he can hit more homes and increase his swag margin.

I admire his innovative attitude to his work but rest assured you will be gagged, beaten and robbed blind at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Just spoke to someone there from CSO. Apparently it's all legit. It's the Household Budget survey and our house WAS selected.

Hmmm, unless some crafty thief killed the CSO guy, stole his very fetching suit and ID, underwent extensive plastic surgery to look just like Mr CSO, and then began to stake out the houses on his list. Oh you ARE a crafty one Mr Thief. Just wait until you return to collect those diaries. I'll have a nice little surprise waiting for you!

Cheers guys, if you don't hear from me after 2 weeks, and some CSO guy comes around to your house asking you to complete a survey with your own blood, then it might be best to pass.

Mark200 wrote: »
    Bank details seems kind of un-necessary to me for one of those surveys. but yeah, you should just call up the CSO

Oh, by the way, he didn't get any bank statements or account numbers. I'm not THAT bad! He was just looking for how much interest we paid on overdrafts / credit cards etc. All verified now. Unfortunately, there doesn't seen to be a section in the diary for illicit drugs and prostitutes. Perhaps it should go under "recreation".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

These surveys have been going on for years and are legit Ive heard of people doing these before a few years ago my mother did one on television habits she did a survey on what she watches and won 500 pounds at the time that was a lot of money

Its also like the shop and scan where you scan in all your shopping they collect stats on what the average household buys/spends each week dont be worrying to much about it op as long as you didnt give out your personal details you will be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's not exactly free if you have to do something for it, is it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ciaran187 wrote: »
    40 quid vouchers

They broke their heart............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Just spoke to someone there from CSO. Apparently it's all legit. It's the Household Budget survey and our house WAS selected.

Hmmm, unless some crafty thief killed the CSO guy, stole his very fetching suit and ID, underwent extensive plastic surgery to look just like Mr CSO, and then began to stake out the houses on his list. Oh you ARE a crafty one Mr Thief. Just wait until you return to collect those diaries. I'll have a nice little surprise waiting for you!

Cheers guys, if you don't hear from me after 2 weeks, and some CSO guy comes around to your house asking you to complete a survey with your own blood, then it might be best to pass.

R.I.P. Original CSO guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

yea bank details are a bit dodgey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

My bank details are on my cheque
    Account name and number, branch, sortcode
    Is this insecure?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

We did that survey before Christmas. Poor CSO guy didn't realise there were 6 people in the house and basically ended up spending the evening with us filling out forms. Got the €40 vouchers aswell eventually although they were very slow sending them out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

CSO actually stands for: "Criminal Survey Organisers".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd value my off-peak time at a lot more than 40 euros worth of butter vouchers for all that hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hi all

Good to be back! Right, had a guy around to my house the other day claiming to be from CSO (not CSI as I initially thought! :) )

He said he's doing a survey for the Consumer Price Index and our house was chosen at random. The survey is completed every 5 years and you get 40 quid for completing it. My housemates invited him in and he started by speaking to one of them about how much our bills are etc. He then questioned each of us individually for about 20 minutes about how much we earn, pay on tax, how many credit cards, how much interest we pay etc etc. Took our PPS numbers and all.
    Exsqueeze me: Your SSN Equivalent?

Yeah that was intelligent.
    I checked out the CSO website and there IS such a report which has the details he was asking us. His ID seemed fine and his laptop & software seemed fine too. He left us with these (very official looking) diaries where we write in every single thing we buy over the next 14 days. He said he'll be back to pick them up and then we'll get a One 4 All voucher posted out to each of us afterwards.

Even though everything (so far) checks out, I just have a bad feeling about this. Call me paranoid but I would have thought we'd get a letter or something prior to him dropping by our house and asking to see our payslips etc.

If I look at it from a scam-ola point of view, the 14 day diaries given him 14 days to do whatever he wants without any of us getting suspicious, then a further 3 weeks or so before we start asking where our vouchers are. Also, is the government really issuing out 40 quid vouchers to every person who completes this survey??? Seems like a lot of money to be throwing at people.

Has anyone else done one of these surveys previously? He said they're done every 5 years and last time they issued a 20 quid voucher. Do you think it's some kind of scam to take PPS numbers or bank details, or even just to see how many credit cards we have and what's inside our house? Or am I being way too paranoid?

Thanks
    Instead of just checking the Website, you should have the "Surveyor's" Name and Information, and you should be calling up the Organization Headquarters or visiting their Physical Address to verify they know the person who came to your door and have authorized him to be taking your details.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's got to be kosher, as €40 is the kind of pittance the government would pay for such a pain in the arse job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

asking for a PPS no should have been a MAJOR red flag, why the F would they need this if it was a legit anonymous survey :eek:

sorry, you've been Fucked

It's all cool Switzerland, chill out.

Spoke to CSO today. It's all good. PPS number is stored in his laptop in an encrypted (ironically the same encryption used to store our passwords here!) It's all fine now.

By the way, Rockn, there were 4 of us in my house so he was there for a good few hours and none of us thought of offering him a cup of tea, or even a glass of water! Poor chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Rockn wrote: »
    We did that survey before Christmas. Poor CSO guy didn't realise there were 6 people in the house and basically ended up spending the evening with us filling out forms. Got the €40 vouchers aswell eventually although they were very slow sending them out.

Same here - 6 in my house the poor woman spent over 2 hours with us on the first evening my mam even gave her tea and biscuits.

We finished 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten the vouchers yet but she did say 4 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If they asked for your boards.ie account details, you're screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Call me paranoid but I would have thought we'd get a letter or something prior to him dropping by our house and asking to see our payslips etc.

yet you still gave him all the information he asked for without any proof he was who he said he was?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

You should have instantly kicked the survey guy in the face.
    The copycats are never as good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

brummytom wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

brummytom wrote: »

just awaiting tre_nt now ;)

Advertisement