Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drama Club

Options
  • 25-01-2010 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about starting up a local drama club Tipperary, I myself was involved in two school plays about 15 years ago (which I loved doing at the time) and recently attended an amateur performance in a nearby village.
    There is no club in my area and I know that I have no experience or anything but I would love to give it a shot.
    There is a few of my friends also interested, but I think if I got word out there more people would like to get involved.
    I just have a few questions:

Would we need a professional director?
    We would like to perform a comedy play first so that would encourage people join in the next production? If we can make them laugh they will come back?
    Any good ideas for a play???
    Am I mad for thinking this is possible?

Having doubts that it could be a success with the lack of experience.

All support needed and all crititism taken on board.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its very possible. I did it! :) I founded the boards drama group with another boardsie and our group has gone from strength to strength! it takes alot of effort and dedication too, much can be tough when you have the day job too!

Another key thing is to get someone involved who has theatre or tutoring experience, someone on the same wavelength. It will go a long way toward giving you a helping hand to find your footing.

With regard to picking a play, start with a One Act. Dont bite more than you can chew. Dont necessarily go with comedy as a good comedy is hard to pull off! :)

One final key part of it all, unfortunately, is cash. We do alot of fundraising to able to stage our productions.

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭brianw25

Hey,

Does anyone know of any drama groups/clubs etc in the cork area, as im really looking to join up with one. I am an adult in my tweenties.

Thanks

Advertisement