Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ericsson announce another 1500 jobs gone - Athlone affected?

• 25-01-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭

Anyones guess at this stage. Place recruiting these days but you never know what going to happen.

Anyone else got a clue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Nope, the press release was incorrect, they were talking all about last year.
    that they let go 6500 people.
    Ericsson Athlone is hiring 100 newbies at the moment so its the opposite there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Also in the statement they never said they were letting an extra 1500 go. Plus, aren't they building in Athlone? Someone told me that new offices were being built.

Yeah new desks being built for the new people starting next month

Are these new hires? As in people being taken off the dole/joining from another company? Or is it internal staff transfer from some foreign office just to keep costs down?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ericsson are going to find it tough over the short to medium term with Huawei making serious inroads into their market share. This will have an impact on jobs. A friend of mine is a contractor, has worked for E/// all over and was working in Germany for 2 years and now in Madrid but he's worried as are all E/// employees permanent and contract.

I know E/// put some serious work in to try and reduce their contractor rates over the last year with not much success. Will be an interesting few years for both E/// and Huawei.

• Advertisement

I assume E/// means Ericsson?

Has there been any layoffs in Athlone yet? Or pay cuts? Obviously no recruitment freeze if they are hiring. Must be doin something right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

They're also building a data center in Athlone, don't know if it's done or not yet :P

No all new hires, there is some transfer from other Ericssons, but that is always happening.

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    They're also building a data center in Athlone, don't know if it's done or not yet :P

Whats that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

A storage facility for servers, web servers, storing their data etc... As far as I know the one that Athlone was connected to was an external company. Don't have loads of details on it, just heard about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement