Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipping Colourist and Stylist

• 25-01-2010 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

What do people normally do when they book in for a colour with a style director in House of Colour and they get a separate colourist. Do you tip the colourist as well considering they've just spent 2 hours on applying the highlights or do you just tip the sylist?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hello OP
    I actually don't tip at all. Any time I go to the hairdresser's between shampooing, colouring and cutting I have had 3 different people do my hair and it's just too much to be tipping all of them. Plus the price hairdressers charge compared to what they pay for the materials is quite high. I'm not a fan of tipping anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Sparklebox

I agree with the above, depending where your getting your colour done it can be VERY expensive and I think that I'm paying enough for my hair not to have to tip as well.

I've also had that experience of a different person washing, colouring, drying and cutting my hair so def not tipping them all.

The situation might be different if you were getting very personal customer service and have been going to your hairdresser for years or something, but I don't think its expected anymore rele.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't tip. It costs a bloody fortune anyway, and my hairdresser owns her own salon so she gets the money anyway. If there is a student washing my hair I sometimes tip them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I have always felt guilted into tipping, even though I can barely afford the hair cut, or its actually horrible. This thread is giving me the strength to be strong haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I've stopped tipping to be honest. It costs too much. When I did if I had multiple people doing my hair I would just let the tip at the counter when I pay and they would divide it up among themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Im a hairdresser with my own salon and 90% of my clients tip me, be it €1 or €5, I do their colour, shampoo, cut and blowdry myself.

Saturdays I have a girl in with me, she gets her own tips but I also split anything I get with her. Also when I get my hair cut if its not the usual girl who comes to the salon I will always tip the stylist and tell her to share with the girl who washed my hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I don't tip. It costs a bloody fortune anyway, and my hairdresser owns her own salon so she gets the money anyway. If there is a student washing my hair I sometimes tip them.

I'm the same if theres a trainee or maybe someone on a summer job I'll tip them cos I know their wage is brutal! But I don't get tips in my job and I provide a service so why should they?? Anyway the prices in hairdressers now is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tellingeye

Ive stopped tipping too, but if a trainee was there learning and getting paid feck all I'll throw them a fiver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Sparklebox wrote: »
    I agree with the above, depending where your getting your colour done it can be VERY expensive and I think that I'm paying enough for my hair not to have to tip as well.

I've also had that experience of a different person washing, colouring, drying and cutting my hair so def not tipping them all.

The situation might be different if you were getting very personal customer service and have been going to your hairdresser for years or something, but I don't think its expected anymore rele.:)

Same here. The cost is so high I can't afford to tip. Also I believe the cost more than covers over heads the salon have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

mood wrote: »
    Same here. The cost is so high I can't afford to tip. Also I believe the cost more than covers over heads the salon have.

Although I do agree with you here I will be honest and say mine dont and thats why I probably get so much tips wise. I am very reasonably priced and all the other salons near me arent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I used to always tip but have also stopped.
    I got my hair cut yesterday and absolutely love the cut and felt a bit guilty not tipping but to be honest I need the money myself.

Besides the prices are crazy you can wave goodbye to at least €150/€180 for a cut and colour so I really can't justify handing over more of my cash anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Millie wrote: »
    I used to always tip but have also stopped.
    I got my hair cut yesterday and absolutely love the cut and felt a bit guilty not tipping but to be honest I need the money myself.

Besides the prices are crazy you can wave goodbye to at least €150/€180 for a cut and colour so I really can't justify handing over more of my cash anymore.

Yep, and the cost of the colour to the hairdresser is a fraction of that.

Advertisement