Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to GSM 3G in New York with own phone?

• 25-01-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Hi

Has anyone had any experience accessing either T-mobile's or AT&T's GSM 3G\EDGE network in Manhattan on their own unlocked tri\quadband handset, i.e. bringing your own phone over to NY and sticking in a pre-paid AT&T or T-mobile 3G-enabled sim card? Anyone tried this? I know I can get data roaming (O2) but the charges are straight robbery for a few bits of data (9.91euros per MB!!).

Cheers for any info

[Mods, also posted this question in the NewYork megathread in Travel but it was suggested to ask here as well; also, tried searching here for the term 'US SIM card' but the 'US' and 'SIM' parts can't be included in the search as they're deemed too short]

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Not in New York, but did it in California last August. Went in to an AT&T shop and bought a SIM card, topped up by $30 and bought their prepaid data plan which I believe gives you 100 MB for $25. Still robbery, but better then roaming charges.... AFAIK this is the cheapest data tariff you can get in the US on prepay. I know, and you thought Ireland was behind on data plans...

Next time you go to the US just buy a Vodafone Ireland prepay SIM and use that, you will pay 99c for up to 50MB of data per day on the live.vodafone.com APN, same as in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Thanks blaz

I'm on O2 here at home and the phone's unlocked so I presuming your Vodafone advice still holds...

and FYI, been on the TripAdvisor's forum as well trying to find out how to get local 3G access and have the say the users there are on the ball, would recommend to others for future travel advice.

edit: FYI, going on the direct advice of a poster on TripAdvisor, I bought a GoSIM AT&T card (ebay, 97%) which when topped up and activated in NY should give me access to AT&T data network

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement