Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's involved in a wiring inspection?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi All, I live in a basement apartment of a big old house in Blackrock - I think the house is maybe 80 years old. I don't know when the wiring was last replaced, and we've started noticing some funny things over the last few weeks, like bulbs blowing again and again, plugging something in/out of one socket affects things that are plugged into other sockets on the same wall, etc.

I want to get an electrician out to inspect the wiring to make sure it doesn't need to be replaced or anything. My landlady, however, is reluctant to even listen to my concerns, and is saying "oh sure the electrician can't do anything unless something is actually happening at that moment" - which has to be waffle.

I'm just wondering, what exactly is involved in performing an inspection of the wiring in a house? I know replacing the wiring is obviously a big and expensive job, but I just want the piece of mind of an electrician at least LOOKING and saying yay or nay...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

jmcwobbles wrote: »
    plugging something in/out of one socket affects things that are plugged into other sockets on the same wall, etc.

This means nothing electrically to me, never mind a landlord. You haven't mentioned one actual fault. As for this bulbs blowing constantly stuff its usually in peoples heads, especially when there are multi lamp fitting or lots of bulbs. Bulb lifespan is also reduced by heavy handling during delivery or operation.

As for an inspection here is what i usually carry out in a cursory electrical inspection.

Wiring: Check type and age.

Fuse Board: Inspect wiring and MCB ratings.

Accessories: Drop off some witches sockets lights.

Earthing: Check for box, fitting earthing and an earth-rod.

Earth Leakage Protection: RCD/RCBOs present and operating correctly.

Testing: RCD, Fault-loop.

Conclusion / Recommendation: If any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

The probs you mention can be caused by supply voltage/transient issues ,or even contact problems in the installation.
    I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand,

Advertisement