Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Poker Forum: Thanks to the Former Moderators

Options
  • 25-01-2010 2:47pm

I have been a poster on this site for a couple of years now and, like most of not all of the regular posters on this particular forum I was initially drawn in by the poker forum. I am sad that I will not be posting in this forum anymore.

I do intend to use much of Boards in future, but I believe, as do many others, that the general direction of Boards.ie has, recently, been incompatible with the general spirit and ethos of this particular forum and the community that has grown within it. This is an unfortunate by-product of success perhaps, certainly nothing can change and yet hope to remain the same, but it has lead to a number of recen clashes which are not condusive to the continued growth of boards or the well being of a forum that does feel a genuine sense of community.

As many you, if not all by now, know 5Starpool, Ste05, and KevIRL have resigned as moderators for this site and, in an effort to give the community a home elsewhere have started a new dedicated forum for poker in Ireland. I am not here to pimp that endeavour, but rather to thank them, as well as LuckyLloyd (the unfortunate straw that broke the camel's back) for
    all the amazing work they have done on building a community like this and for not abandoning it when this impasse was reached.

Some people may see this as an attack on boards or as some self-righteous act by the poker posters, but I hope they do not indulge those thoughts too long. As I have said before, perhaps this was unavoidable as things grow
    and change and rules have to be tightened to deal with the behemoth this site has become. I think this site will thrive no matter what happens to this corner of it, it is just a pity that the conflicts of the last while have made this necessary.

Thank you for having this forum for so long and fo helping it, at least in some part, to become somewhere I have always enjoyed reading.

Kayroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

May not be people left here to acknowledge their passing! I suppose that is a tribute in and of itself given where the posters are now...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,285 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How come they are still showing up as mods here then if they have quit?

I hope this isn't another one of these situations where they are trying to resolve an issue and return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Thanks for all you've done for the forum and community lads, very much appreciated.
    The poker forum here will continue, albeit in a probably reduced fashion.

If possible can we keep this thread to thanking the lads for all they've contributed, Feedback or Helpdesk would be better for any comments about boards.ie in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

I've only been posting regularly here for about a year but I've enjoyed every moment of it. So long and thanks for all the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Well done boys yous all done a cracking job without a doubt, what keith said is spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can someone link me to the new forum or PM it, if it's taboo to link it on boards? I'm more of lurker here but will miss it if it dies

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Can someone link me to the new forum or PM it, if it's taboo to link it on boards? I'm more of lurker here but will miss it if it dies

Top tip - you'll spot it in some posters' signatures. I'm sorry things have come to this as the Poker forum means a lot to me but if this is what has to happen then so be it. Good job guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Whats this all about???? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

well done lads & thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

How come they are still showing up as mods, thought they had to be immediately stripped of power before they broke boards for the laugh?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

bohsman2 wrote: »
    How come they are still showing up as mods, thought they had to be immediately stripped of power before they broke boards for the laugh?
    They agreed to stay on fore few more days in case of a spam attack or something. Will be gone when replacements are made in few days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hi all, as one of the CMods for the Games cat I should probably say something here to clear up a few things. Yes the lads are 'retiring' and have set up their own venture. Sad for us but very exciting for them! :)

Firstly, you've been very lucky to have some excellent mods in the past and I too would like to thank all of the lads for their hard work and the effort they put into the poker forums as a whole.

The lads have very kindly agreed to stay on a few days while we try and sort new mods for the forums here. There's no hard feelings at all and we really wish them well with the new venture and hope it's a success.

I don't know any of the lads except for Ste05 and can say that he's a top bloke that I've a lot of time for and I'll miss him as a mod here although we'll still see each other on other forums so my heartbreak will be eased (/ghey). Things have changed but the Poker forum will remain and it's you, the users who will determine how successful it will be.

In some ways, the new venture is 'competition' for this forum but in the long run, the poker community is huge so I'm sure some of you will still post here as well as on the new site, others maybe not. Either way, everyone is still welcome here and the lads are very much welcome to keep posting on these forums (if they have the time :D).

It's not all good/bad news (tick as appropriate to you) though, lafortezza will be staying on here as mod and we're chuffed about that. We'll be letting ye know when we have some other new mods selected. In the meantime, thanks again to the lads for everything they've done here. :)

So ends probably my fourth or fifth post in Poker (although the BBV thread is a laugh ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'm not a prolific poster here by any means, but I am a daily reader/lurker and I also wanted to add my thanks to the lads for all the work they've put in.

Since deciding about a year ago to make a proper effort with my game, I can honestly say that the improvement in my play, from an mediocre home game player to a decent online and occasionally decent RL player has a lot to do with all the things I've learned from this forum. Obviously thats not only because of the moderators (past and present) but the community that posts here.

Its really sad that things have come to this, already I can see the place slowing down, but I know the lads had their reasons and best of luck to them with the new site. I know I'll be there, while remaining a part of boards.ie,

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Hi all, as one of the CMods for the Games cat I should probably say something here to clear up a few things. Yes the lads are 'retiring' and have set up their own venture. Sad for us but very exciting for them! :)

Firstly, you've been very lucky to have some excellent mods in the past and I too would like to thank all of the lads for their hard work and the effort they put into the poker forums as a whole.

The lads have very kindly agreed to stay on a few days while we try and sort new mods for the forums here. There's no hard feelings at all and we really wish them well with the new venture and hope it's a success.

I don't know any of the lads except for Ste05 and can say that he's a top bloke that I've a lot of time for and I'll miss him as a mod here although we'll still see each other on other forums so my heartbreak will be eased (/ghey). Things have changed but the Poker forum will remain and it's you, the users who will determine how successful it will be.

In some ways, the new venture is 'competition' for this forum but in the long run, the poker community is huge so I'm sure some of you will still post here as well as on the new site, others maybe not. Either way, everyone is still welcome here and the lads are very much welcome to keep posting on these forums (if they have the time :D).

It's not all good/bad news (tick as appropriate to you) though, lafortezza will be staying on here as mod and we're chuffed about that. We'll be letting ye know when we have some other new mods selected. In the meantime, thanks again to the lads for everything they've done here. :)

So ends probably my fourth or fifth post in Poker (although the BBV thread is a laugh ;)).
    +1

The new site is www.irishpokerboards.com
    There isnt any animosity towards them and I wish them the best. I've already registered the name DeVore! :p

We have www.foot.ie as well as the Soccer forum, www.thumped.com as well as the music forum. There's no reason imho that we cant have a good relationship.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

DeVore wrote: »
    +1

There isnt any animosity towards them and I wish them the best. I've already registered the name DeVore! :p

We have www.foot.ie as well as the Soccer forum, www.thumped.com as well as the music forum. There's no reason imho that we cant have a good relationship.

DeV.

Are you up for the mixed game in Voodoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

DeVore wrote: »
    +1

DeV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE

Good luck lads!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

zuutroy wrote: »
    Are you up for the mixed game in Voodoo?
    If you had ever seen what I do to Omaha, you would know I couldnt afford that. :)

I'm going to respectfully close this thread now, its served it purpose and I dont want any "us and them".

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement