Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBM shares, where are they going?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭

I received some IBM shares (just over 100 in total) when I used to work for them, and I'm wondering what people's thoughts about where they are going are? I don't need the cash right now, but I'd be looking at building a house in Germany in the coming 2 years and wondering should I be looking to sell now or hold and borrow more from a bank etc. Any thoughts?

A split would be nice, but they don't have a history of it (the dot com bubble aside).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

why do you want a split?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

woodseb wrote: »
    why do you want a split?
    Well, the last time they split I got 2:1 and the share price did not reduce by anywhere near half.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

murphaph wrote: »
    Well, the last time they split I got 2:1 and the share price did not reduce by anywhere near half.

splits don't affect the fundamental value of a company, any price move is independent of the split

just looked back at when it happened and IBM was trading at $236 the day before the split and $116 the day after.....the stock fell in value by $4 - it then ended the year at $107

woodseb wrote: »
    splits don't affect the fundamental value of a company, any price move is independent of the split

just looked back at when it happened and IBM was trading at $236 the day before the split and $116 the day after.....the stock fell in value by $4 - it then ended the year at $107
    Fair enough, I bow to your better knowledge. The stockmarket is something of an unknown quantity to me. I just always took shares for my bonus as I didn't want to pay half of it in tax. Mow all the shares are well clear of the 3 year rule I'd only be liable for CGT if I make a profit on them. Any thoughts on whether or not I should hold or sell? Anytime it comes into my had to sell them, the dollar seems weak, so I was thinking of opening a US$ account and keeping the proceeds in there, until such time as the dollar gains some strength, that may never happen of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

murphaph wrote: »
    Fair enough, I bow to your better knowledge. The stockmarket is something of an unknown quantity to me. I just always took shares for my bonus as I didn't want to pay half of it in tax. Mow all the shares are well clear of the 3 year rule I'd only be liable for CGT if I make a profit on them. Any thoughts on whether or not I should hold or sell? Anytime it comes into my had to sell them, the dollar seems weak, so I was thinking of opening a US$ account and keeping the proceeds in there, until such time as the dollar gains some strength, that may never happen of course!

If the markets are such an unknown quantity to you I'd be wary of trying to put currency specualtion as part of your plan as it's notoriously difficult to anticipate currency flucuations

• Advertisement

Idu wrote: »
    If the markets are such an unknown quantity to you I'd be wary of trying to put currency specualtion as part of your plan as it's notoriously difficult to anticipate currency flucuations
    I appreciate that but I was hoping to isolate at least one variable and sell when IBM shares are at a dollar level that I feel is "high", and then holding the dollars until I feel the dollar is "strong". The alternative is to simply sell them when the price seems right but then potentially lose a lot on the exchange rate.

I'm beginning to feel that I'll just have to do my own thing and follow the path that I feel is right. It seems the markets just cannot be predicted by anybody with any degree of certainty to allow them to offer calculated advice. Cheers for the input anyway guys.:)

Advertisement