Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaggie's 5/3/1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Don't worry about feeling weak. Those sessions are unforseeable and unavoidable!

You were wondering about the dealoads earlier, I personally do nothing when I'm deloading. Resting is way under-rated. If you feel weak going into sessions take a week of doing nothing an come back to it.

You're still hitting well above the prescribed reps so keep plugging away! Where do you train?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Interesting about the deload week right enough. I can see the benefits of it as I get into the cycles for 5/3/1 for sure, but I guess the 1st cycle was, not easy, but I was recovering quite easily from it. Can definitely feel a difference on this cycle and looking at the next one I will definitely feel like that deload week!

re the weakness, I will always moan about my deadlift, just don't think it is ever where it should be, but I am doing a lot more reps on it than I did with SS so hopefully I will see the benefit, certainly I can feel the benefit even if everything feels heavier than it did when I was doing SS :)

Train at silversprings just outside cork city - not the best gym (pretty awful for free weights if truth be known ) but has the benefits that hardly anyone uses free weights for anything other than curls or benching - downside is that there is only one place to bench and it is on the smiths machine! But I generally get peace to use the squat rack or oly bar from the rack for deads and press so it will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Benching is gay anyway!

After a while I find life throws its own deloads at you with ilness, holidays, god knows what. You'll work out after a while whether you need a deload or not.

:) It's only gay coz I can't bench 100kg yet!!

C2W2D3 - Bench
    1 x 5 30kg
    1 x 5 37.5kg
    1 x 5 45kg

work
    1 x 3 52.5kg
    1 x 3 62.5kg
    1 x 10 67.5kg

few singles
    1 x 1 75kg
    1 x 1 80kg
    1 x 1 85kg
    1 x 1 87.5kg PB

BBB
    5 x 10 45kg

Dumb Bell Rows
    5 x 10 27.5kg

• Advertisement

So had my break, not enforced but was for the best with all that i had on - funny that it happened while I had been wondering about the deload week though. As I never finished C2W2 I decided to pick it up from that week and keep going through C3 without a deload week until end of C3:

C2W2D1- Press

1 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 22.5kg
    1 x 5 25kg

Work

1 x 3 30kg
    1 x 3 35kg
    1 x 7 40kg - 2 less than the last time which is disappointing :(

1 x 1 42.5kg
    1 x 1 45kg
    1 x 1 47.5kg
    1 x 50kg - PB Made up for only getting 7 reps above

BBB
    5 x 10 25kg

Chins

2 x 5
    3 x 2

C2W2D2 - Deadlift
    1 x 5 42.5kg
    1 x 5 52.5kg
    1 x 5 62.5kg

work
    1 x 3 72.5kg
    1 x 3 82.5kg
    1 x 7 95kg <
    much better than last time I guess

singles for fun

105kg
    115kg
    125kg
    135kg PB could maybe have gone 140 but with BBB looming I knew I better stop!

BBB
    5 x 10 62.5kg - this is so tough, i know my form suffers big time during this but i am keeping my back straight so I shouldn't be doing any damage.

Hanging Leg Raises
    3 x 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

135kg PB

Fair play on the PB man.
    What's BBB? :confused:

Fair play on the PB man.
    What's BBB? :confused:
    Cheers!

Boring But Big

Part of the 5/3/1 program, finish off with 60% of your max lift (going into the program) with 5 x 10. Fecking killer so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Cheers!

Boring But Big

Part of the 5/3/1 program, finish off with 60% of your max lift (going into the program) with 5 x 10. Fecking killer so it is.

Ohhh I see. Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

5 x 10 62.5kg - this is so tough, i know my form suffers big time during this but i am keeping my back straight so I shouldn't be doing any damage.

Its tempting to let form slide but just really try to focus on keeping the head up and driving through the heels. Don't be afraid to rest during sets too if your form is suffering.

Sangre wrote: »
    Its tempting to let form slide but just really try to focus on keeping the head up and driving through the heels. Don't be afraid to rest during sets too if your form is suffering.

Yeah I do exactly as you say with the head up heels down, as I get towards the end of the set though I can feel the form wavering - maybe I should rest then, trouble is if I rested every time I don't think I would ever get finished :D

Feeling pretty crap today, sore throat and head, still got DOMS from deadlift the other day so wasn't looking forward to it - went quite well though...now i am just not looking forward to tomorrow - still i deserve that choccie digestive with my lemsip!

C2W2D3 - Bench
    warmed up with dumb bells as someone was using the bench.
    1 x 5 30kg
    1 x 5 35kg
    1 x 5 45kg

work
    1 x 3 52.5kg
    1 x 3 62.5kg
    1 x 10 67.5kg

few singles
    1 x 1 75kg
    1 x 1 85kg
    1 x 1 90kg PB <-- another PB think i could have gone up again but i got panicy half way through this one incase i wasn't going to make it and there was no one around to spot me.

BBB
    5 x 10 45kg

Dumb Bell Rows
    5 x 10 27.5kg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

How do you find the singles after your work sets? Are you not wrecked?
    Might do a few single DLs tonight - see how my 1rm has come along. I won't go mad though.

Sangre wrote: »
    How do you find the singles after your work sets? Are you not wrecked?
    Might do a few single DLs tonight - see how my 1rm has come along. I won't go mad though.

The singles are not too bad as I am only doing one at each weight, if i went for reps then i would die i reckon - i am close to dying on the BBB after doing the singles. Like you say it is just to see how it has come along, I am barely on the program i know but a bit of fun after the work sets.

Missed squatting again last week due to sick kids - been at least 3 weeks now...almost scared to go back and do them again at this stage.

Got a PB today without even realising - thought i did 50kg last week and was trying to go for x2 on the reps but just 47.5 last week so PB again...cool wasn't even trying for it :) - was more chuffed about the 42.5 x 7.

C2W3D1- Press

1 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 22.5kg
    1 x 5 25kg

Work

1 x 5 32.5kg
    1 x 3 37.5kg
    1 x 7 42.5kg

1 x 1 50kg - PB

BBB
    5 x 10 25kg (time to raise this 2.5kg in the next cycle)

Chins
    Was going for 3 x 8, but after 2nd set, thought better of it and aimed for 5x5 - nice to fail at both :o

1 x 7
    3 x 3
    1 x 2

oh and congrats to all the IDFPA competitors - great lifting guys - make me feel like a total weakling though :D

C2W3D2 - Deadlift
    1 x 5 42.5kg
    1 x 5 52.5kg
    1 x 5 70kg

work
    1 x 5 77.5kg
    1 x 3 87.5kg
    1 x 6 100kg

BBB
    5 x 10 62.5kg - Smashed my shins big time, thought i was going to have to get stretchered off, thankfully made a recovery and completed the sets.

Hanging Leg Raises
    5 x 6 - no idea where i am going with these, all i know is i dislike them very much.

Checked my weight today, down to 80kh, 14.2% body fat, so i have dropped around 2 kg and gone up in body fat! don't feel like that and I am not worried...just need to lay of them damned twixes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

C2W3D2 - Deadlift

Hanging Leg Raises
    5 x 6 - no idea where i am going with these, all i know is i dislike them very much.
    Toes to fingers like? I really want to try these but have a feeling it ain't going to go too well....

G86 wrote: »
    Toes to fingers like? I really want to try these but have a feeling it ain't going to go too well....

Not a hope, thankfully our gym has not the facility for me to make an arse of myself doing that :) - I am struggling with your bog standard leg raise making sure I don't swing the old legs.

• Advertisement

Not a hope, thankfully our gym has not the facility for me to make an arse of myself doing that :) - I am struggling with your bog standard leg raise making sure I don't swing the old legs.

Hmmm I'm torn..I wanna try..but I don't want to know I can't do it (I hate not being able to do things!) and I'm currently basking in the 'not knowing-ness'. Tis bad enough being stuck on negative pull ups:o Oh hang on, is there such a thing as negative leg raises?!

haha - yeah i wouldn't mind trying it - would want a lot of soft cushions on the floor though for when I lose control and fall on my head!

haha - yeah i wouldn't mind trying it - would want a lot of soft cushions on the floor though for when I lose control and fall on my head!

haha I meant I wanna try the bog standard one, not a hope of my toes going anywhere near my fingers!!!!:p

You should try it though, be a good progression! (easy for me to say haha)

ah, well in that case you should go ahead - you would be able to do them no problem. I am just a terrible woose and hate anything ab related especially after deadlifting. Incidentally the only equipment I can do this on at my gym is like this:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-hanging-leg-raises-properly-195126/

and not bar hanging down by your arms, which looks even harder and 'nuff respect to anyone that uses that. I find my grip/arms funnily enough gives me more discomfort than my abs during this, because of the equipment I think and because i have just been deadlifting.

HAHA -just played that vid I linked to and it has "gay fitness community" written all over it. Maybe I should hook my google skills up with Sangre's buddy who was talking to him at the gym :)

Cheers, haven't seen one of those in my gym, there's just the bars to do them on so like you wouldn't be able to lean back against anything.

haha yeah interesting choice of link :pac:

C2W3D3- Bench

1 x 5 32.5kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 5 47.5kg <-- increased by 2.5kg warm up and BBB sets.

Work

1 x 5 57.5kg
    1 x 3 62.5kg
    1 x 9 70kg

BBB
    5 x 10 47.5kg - this was better - hard but definitely doable.

Dumbbell Rows
    5 x 10 27.5kg
    Was actually going to raise this to 30kg but held off because i raised my BBB - in hindsight I should have as it was much easier this week than last (maybe because I hadn't been doing all those singles!). Squat tomorrow - let's hope I make it out of the gym :)

C2W3D4 - Squat

warm ups were totally destroyed as someone was using the squat rack so had to do it with the smyths machine - wtf! how can you squat properly with that...nearly broke my leg...first and last time using the fecker..

Work

1 x 5 65kg
    1 x 3 72.5kg
    1 x 8 82.5kg

BBB
    5 x 10 52.5kg

I mentioned I was a bit worried about this after being out so long, but it was bad, just not as bad as expected. However, my legs stopped working and I could barely get to the water machine and so I did no additional exercises. Half an hour later when I finally made it up the stairs to have a shower the doms started...pretty early I thought. Managed to crawl into work and am not looking forward to having to get out of my chair...or tomorrow morning...going to be doms and chocolate all weekend for me ..

C3W1D1- Press

1 x 5 20kg
    1 x 5 22.5kg
    1 x 5 27.5kg

Work

1 x 5 30kg
    1 x 3 35kg
    1 x 9 40kg

BBB
    5 x 10 27.5kg

Chins
    3 x 5
    2 x 3 (last rep was definitely dodgy tho!)

Feel like crap - could be man flu, but combined with poor sleep last night and chocolate diet, I feel like crap.

Forgot to get lemsips too :(

Managed to drag my arse to the gym though for deadlifts...nothing else...never seen the sweat piss off me so much...anyhoo...

C3W1D2- Deadlift

1 x 5 45
    1 x 5 55
    1 x 5 65

Work

1 x 5 70kg
    1 x 5 82.5kg
    1 x 8 92.5kg <-- pretty chuffed at that...

BBB

5 x 10 65kg - Form sucked big time...kept losing form every 2nd rep..body was exhausted..finished them and skulked out hoping i hadn't done myself any damage.

• Advertisement

C3W1D3 - Bench

1 x 5 35kg
    1 x 5 40kg
    1 x 5 47.5kg

Work

1 x 5 50kg
    1 x 5 57.5kg
    1 x 12 65kg <-- defo a PB for reps, must look back and see what i had done before. edit, 1 x 10 before so not that great but still a PB I guess !

BBB
    5 x 10 47.5kg

BBB was tough but was well able for it.

Dumbbell Row
    Decided to stay at 27.5kg as I was changing my technique on this..hard to believe I was getting wrong but managed to iron it out a bit.

5 x 10 27.5kg

Squats tomorrow - can't believe it is that time again already :)

Advertisement