Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Outfitters bag

Options
  • 25-01-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I bought a bag for my girlfriend for xmas just gone and it broke in the last few days after only a bit of use. She went into UO today and there were no more bags of this type to exchange so they offered her a €15 credit note as this was the sale price of the bag. I paid €60 for it before xmas so I would assume the full refund would be in order. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Do you have the original receipt?

If so you should be seeking a refund at that price and also do not accept a credit note

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The only reciept I took off of them was a gift reciept. Would this matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It will need to have a value printed on it, otherwise you won't be able to prove what price you paid. If you paid with credit or debit card, you can also use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would have thought that you would be ok with a gift receipt. There should be a barcode on it that they scan at the till and the price you paid would come up.

Otherwise it would have the date on it and they would be able to find out the price of the item on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Cool, thanks for all replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 WILLK1977

Gift receipt is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 45 E26

Hey
    The same thing kinda happened me last week! I bought my boyfriend a Tommy Hilfiger jumper in the Tommy shop in Dundrum before Xmas and between one thing and another he decided that he wanted to exchange it. Bought in sale they had before xmas for 20% off. When we tried to exchange it last thursday for another jumper the assistant tried to pull a fast one. We had the gift receipt, and when she scaned the new jumper for the old one, she goes "thats 7euros of a credit note i will be giving you". I was like i paid well over €100 for it before xmas, ( had given a quick look at the price it was on thursday and it had come down to €73" So she was persuming that i would take the new sale price that was there then:rolleyes: She wasnt long changing her tune when i said i bought it before xmas and that there was no way that i was taken my €7, i wanted what was owed to me:p. And she was even the manage- wasnt a bit impressed with her. So you are definitely entitled to get the amount you paid for the bag... Best of luck. let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

E26 wrote: »
    Hey
    The same thing kinda happened me last week! I bought my boyfriend a Tommy Hilfiger jumper in the Tommy shop in Dundrum before Xmas and between one thing and another he decided that he wanted to exchange it. Bought in sale they had before xmas for 20% off. When we tried to exchange it last thursday for another jumper the assistant tried to pull a fast one. We had the gift receipt, and when she scaned the new jumper for the old one, she goes "thats 7euros of a credit note i will be giving you". I was like i paid well over €100 for it before xmas, ( had given a quick look at the price it was on thursday and it had come down to €73" So she was persuming that i would take the new sale price that was there then:rolleyes: She wasnt long changing her tune when i said i bought it before xmas and that there was no way that i was taken my €7, i wanted what was owed to me:p. And she was even the manage- wasnt a bit impressed with her. So you are definitely entitled to get the amount you paid for the bag... Best of luck. let us know how you get on

I'm a bit confused by your story but I don't think that's not the same; they're perfectly entitled to exchange at the sale price of the item bought as it is just a change of mind, not a faulty product. This was dealt with in the Dunnes thread AFAIK

edit: realise you had the gift receipt so never mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

E26 wrote: »
    Hey

OP : issue is covered by law as the bag was deemed to be faulty by both the consumer and the retailer.

Above: no rights what so ever as the sweater was being returned as change of mind. Excellent service by Tommy as the sweater was bought over 2 months ago, even M&S wouldn't take it back so long after purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Teferi wrote: »
    The only reciept I took off of them was a gift reciept. Would this matter?

Maybe they have the same policy as Brown Thomas

'' A gift receipt is not an original receipt. Merchandise accompanied by a gift receipt may be exchanged within 14 days.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would present them with the gift receipt, which should give the date of purchase. This should allow them to determine the price on the day of purchase. This should be enough to allow them to give you the full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know it's a bit late now, but I always tell customers to put the receipt for the gift they are giving in a sealed envelope and put it in the card. Much better than a gift receipt if you have to make a faulty item claim against the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

macy9 wrote: »
    Maybe they have the same policy as Brown Thomas

'' A gift receipt is not an original receipt. Merchandise accompanied by a gift receipt may be exchanged within 14 days.''

That's only for exchanges, which are at the good will of the shop. The OP has a broken item so the receipt is only needed as proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I returned some items to Planet in Clerys yesterday, with no tags on them. Genuinely had not worn them, but no probl;em in refund. v impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

jor el wrote: »
    It will need to have a value printed on it, otherwise you won't be able to prove what price you paid. If you paid with credit or debit card, you can also use that.

eh, making statements like that when you don't know what you are talking about is a bit pointless. a gift receipt is fine. the whole point of them is that the value isn't printed.

OP collect your full refund, and politely refuse a credit note. of course they will offer exchange or credit note so they can hold onto your money but you are entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

HappyHarry wrote: »
    OP collect your full refund, and politely refuse a credit note. of course they will offer exchange or credit note so they can hold onto your money but you are entitled to a refund.

You are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair. If they offer a refund and you accept, then the refund is usually made through the same manner as the purchase (ie refund on a credit card if originally bought on a credit card).

A credit note is not an acceptable form of refund in this instance as the item is defective.

Advertisement