Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non-clay cat litter search ~ Help!

Options
  • 25-01-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,
    I am searching for a non-clay cat litter that is clumping, flushable, and not too dusty.
    The one I am using now is a brand called 'World's Best Cat Litter" which is made of corn. It's good except very dusty. I have little dusty kitty prints all over the place! (yes, I have a rug for her to step out on, but no help there.)
    When I lived in the States there was a brand called "Swheat Scoop" that was made of wheat and was ideal, but I can't find it in any of the shops here.
    Anyone have suggestions on brands and shops that may be less dusty?
    I prefer to shop in south Dublin, but can go anywhere if needed.
    Thanks a mil!
    Lisa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

greenasil wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am searching for a non-clay cat litter that is clumping, flushable, and not too dusty.
    The one I am using now is a brand called 'World's Best Cat Litter" which is made of corn. It's good except very dusty. I have little dusty kitty prints all over the place! (yes, I have a rug for her to step out on, but no help there.)
    When I lived in the States there was a brand called "Swheat Scoop" that was made of wheat and was ideal, but I can't find it in any of the shops here.
    Anyone have suggestions on brands and shops that may be less dusty?
    I prefer to shop in south Dublin, but can go anywhere if needed.
    Thanks a mil!
    Lisa

I use this stuff and its great, http://www.thebigbigpetshop.ie/product.asp?P_ID=12006&strPageHistory=related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Try silicone cat litter, no dust at all. It's little pebbles of blue & white silicone crystals & it soaks up the pee. You have to scoop out the turds each day minimally but don't have to change the litter for a week or two, just freshen it up a bit. The one I use I think is called Silica??

I've no idea re southside but I know they normally have it in Pet Stop Superstore in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre Retail Park.

The other one that is popular with others are the wood chip ones. You can get that in Tesco but I'd imagine it's dusty!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 greenasil

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I think the pine and wood pellet types will track at least as much as the one I have now. :-/
    The silicone litter may work for me. Anyone know of the eco-status of the silicone option? I stay away from clay litters b/c of thier eco impacts, but don't know anything about the silicone.
    Thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I use Catsan. You can get it in Tesco
    Great stuff and it masks the odours quite well

EDIT: apologies, I didn't see the "flushable" bit. I have no idea of it can be flushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

You should NEVER flush animal waste as it gets into the water system! It can not be used as fertilizer either as cats & dogs eat meat.

Place waste in bags in the bin - you will be in big trouble if the local water scheme find out you flush animal waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

FAYESY wrote: »
    You should NEVER flush animal waste as it gets into the water system!

Well, that's not too reassuring given the amount of human waste that gets flushed! O_o

OP - I use Cat's Best (Oko) and find that it doesn't track too much, although it does tend to be chucked around the place if madam gets a bit too enthusiastic - a covered litter tray helps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 greenasil

Jack- I looked at CatsBest OKO and it looks like a match for what I am looking for. I've placed an order from ZooPets.

Fayesy- I am interested in your statement about not flushing animal waste. I'm new to Ireland (Dublin) and would love more info. Is there a limitation to the wastewater treatment program here that makes flushing of animal waste unsafe?
    Thx for any further info on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

FAYESY wrote: »
    You should NEVER flush animal waste as it gets into the water system! It can not be used as fertilizer either as cats & dogs eat meat.

Place waste in bags in the bin - you will be in big trouble if the local water scheme find out you flush animal waste.

??? What's the difference between flushing cat crap down the toilet and flushing your own crap down the toilet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

??? What's the difference between flushing cat crap down the toilet and flushing your own crap down the toilet?

I wouldn't have thought much of a difference myself, but upon googling, seems some (perhaps all?) water sanitation plants etc, aren't equipped to treat animal poo, the set up of treatment is for human excrement.

Advertisement