Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GASTO Van

• 25-01-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up to anbody intending to drive through ferrybank as of 1:45pm today the Garda Gatso van was parked on on the Ferrybank Dual Carriageway in the old entrance to the Ard Ri Hotel.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Still there as of 2.20pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I wish they'd save some lives with it and park it somewhere on a dangerous road where speeding causes accidents. All those vans seem to be is money makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Trotter wrote: »
    I wish they'd save some lives with it and park it somewhere on a dangerous road where speeding causes accidents. All those vans seem to be is money makers.
    i totally agree with ya there trotter, they just out to make a quick buck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

its the end of the month and they have quotas to fill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Bloody thing. That means it will probably be around for the next few weeks again. Got caught with the blasted thing last May. I suppose at least we can all keep each other updated with sightings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

longshanks wrote: »
    its the end of the month and they have quotas to fill

oh christ I hates people saying bull like that anytime they try to do their job. If people get caught then tough titty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

seanybiker wrote: »
    oh christ I hates people saying bull like that anytime they try to do their job. If people get caught then tough titty.
    Ah yeah but when have you ever seen a speed check on some sh1tty back road out by Dunmore? Like the kind of road people are killed on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Hey make sure if your heading out the Dublin road that ye tippy toe around the bend on the Sallypark DC just past the CIE depot traffic lights. They were there in the median this evening and by the time you see the van they are only about 100m from ya. Very regular haunt for it given its a 50 km/h zone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 stephenc1979

They're a curse, they should be in places where they are actually preventing accidents not getting people tipping along at 65kph on a dual carragieway!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

They're a curse, they should be in places where they are actually preventing accidents not getting people tipping along at 65kph on a dual carragieway!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a fair point but nobody has the right to break the speed limit on any road unless an emergency service. That is the point that was being made. If you are caught by the gatso van then tough titty.

• Advertisement

i really couldn't give a shit that you "hates people saying bull like that anytime they try to do their job." it was a guards son said it to me. i thought he might've been taking the piss and was saying it to a few of the folks in the gym, and a (different) guards wife said its sad but true.

personally i hate fellas mouthing off when they dont know what they're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Ok I have heard from many people about this "trying to fill a quota" at the end of the month. Whether its true or not, I do see more speed checks(traps) towards the end of each month.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Ok I have heard from many people about this "trying to fill a quota" at the end of the month. Whether its true or not, I do see more speed checks(traps) towards the end of each month.

Its always denied but most people seem to see them a lot more towards monthly ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Ah yeah but when have you ever seen a speed check on some sh1tty back road out by Dunmore? Like the kind of road people are killed on?

The same kind of roads we are told nothing happens on so people out there should be allowed to have a couple of pints by people who don't like alcohol laws? Funny how stuff changes depending on what suits the particular campaign.

Anyway, whether you think they are placed fairly or not, if you do get caught breaking a law, I don't think there is much point moaning about it. Have a good moan if you are somehow mistakenly fined for speeding when you were not, but just suck it up if you are actually caught speeding.

personally i hate fellas mouthing off when they dont know what they're talking about

aye I suppsoe I wouldnt have a clue, even though me grand father and father used to be cops and now my older brother and twin brother are cops now. silly me.
    Just cos your mate is related to a cop doenst mean anything. Just cos half my relations are cops dont mean anything either. Grow up little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Speeds Limits are put on roads for a reason.. if you decide to drive over the speed limit be it 5k or 40k you are breaking the law. If people kept to the speed limit in the first place they wouldn't have to worry about where the guards are parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

last time it done a tour a waterford it was on the orr for a few days too so there could be the next stop ....

btw you dont have to pay gatso fines .........

Speeds Limits are put on roads for a reason.. if you decide to drive over the speed limit be it 5k or 40k you are breaking the law. If people kept to the speed limit in the first place they wouldn't have to worry about where the guards are parked.
    thats all Im trying to say aswell but some child is on here telling me i dont know what Im on about just because he talked to two people related to cops. Ya dont have to know people to know the law. Sure im off the road on thursday for a year ha ha.

cool your boots kid, when i said i didn't like people mouthing off it was because you dismissed my earlier comment as bull, even though its more or less coming from the horses mouth. and maybe you should ask yourself what reason would i have to make it up?
    and now you're all interweb hardman, calling me supid names and finishing with some pathetic boast about being "off the road on thursday for a year ha ha." congrats on that
    I suppsoe I wouldnt have a clue, .

you got that much right at least

cool your boots kid, when i said i didn't like people mouthing off it was because you dismissed my earlier comment as bull, even though its more or less coming from the horses mouth. and maybe you should ask yourself what reason would i have to make it up?
    and now you're all interweb hardman, calling me supid names and finishing with some pathetic boast about being "off the road on thursday for a year ha ha." congrats on that

you got that much right at least
    No internet hardman here little man :)
    yeah I am off the road tomorrow more than likely. Thats cos I broke a law and deserve to be off the road. The same way as people getting done for speeding deserve their fines or points.

• Advertisement

No internet hardman here little man :)
    yeah I am off the road tomorrow more than likely. Thats cos I broke a law and deserve to be off the road. The same way as people getting done for speeding deserve their fines or points.

no they dont!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Hoffmans wrote: »

btw you dont have to pay gatso fines .........

Says who?????

They dont have gatso vans to put off motorists from speeding their there to catch speeders. Typical sneaky money making tactics its the points that bother me not the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mikeym wrote: »
    Typical sneaky money making tactics its the points that bother me not the fine.

Don't break the speed limit and you wont have any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Speeds Limits are put on roads for a reason..

True, but quite often the wrong reason.

Waterford suffers badly from inappropriately signed roads - I give you the oft-talked about ring road with a 60km/h limit and the Ferrybank DC with 50km/h.

Ridiculous, everyone knows. Even the City councillors want them changed, but the civil servants are resisting because THEY made a rule that 60km/h was to be the max inside city limits.

So, where do the Gardai place speed traps? Yep, on these roads with too-low limits. Not on back roads many of which are far more dangerous.

Why? Well they wouldn't catch as many people.

They don't seem to have grasped the notion that ideally, speed traps would never catch anyone.

The placing of this van (not, technically, a 'Gatso' van) is nothing more than a cynical exercise to collect revenue. It has no safety implications at all.

Therefore it is right that people should warn others. If warned, we're not gonna break the speed limit are we?

Job done then.

Andy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Have to drive up to kilcreene hospital kilkenny last few days,i noticed by the callan road roundabout across to the waterford roundabout 100kph and some of the distances between roundabouts are less than the outer ring road ,and no dual carraigeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I've been watching out for them during the week on my daily round trip to Wexford and haven't seen them again. Anybody else see them? Hopefully they've moved on.

good few heads i know have got speed photo fines from some revenue streaming camera mounted on the lights on the newrath dual carriageway ...

couple of things to be aware of here
    1. if theres no sign saying speed camera ahead your may be a victim of a deception fraud.
    speed_1252043c.jpg

2. the crowd who installed the kit there a nice crowd to do business with they also have the new lights they installed on the dunmore road ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFV4gI00W1w&feature=related

its back on the orr today in the golf course entrance saw it in newrath yesterday more likely out to the woodlands tonite or tomorrow thats the usual tour it takes..........

so if your offered a reg. a4 envelope with a still pictire of your motor travelling at 0mph in the post
    just "return to sender":P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I definitely think you see more speed checks at the end of the month, but that doesnt change anything. If you are caught speeding anywhere, then you were breaking the law. You cannot defend this by claiming that the Guards motivation for catching you was immoral or unfair - thats ridiculous.

People who feel this way need to focus there energy toward changing the laws - eg. the ridiculous speed limit on the ringroad etc. The problem isnt that the Guards are too motivated at the end of the month, Its that many speed limits need to seriously bee revised, and that they are not like that all year round!

...However, seeing as how the speed limits have not been revised, maybe we could get a sticky for the "Speed Check/GATSO Van"-Watch Thread? Could come in handy! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Hoffmans wrote: »
    good few heads i know have got speed photo fines from some revenue streaming camera mounted on the lights on the newrath dual carriageway ...

couple of things to be aware of here
    1. if theres no sign saying speed camera ahead your may be a victim of a deception fraud.
    speed_1252043c.jpg

2. the crowd who installed the kit there a nice crowd to do business with they also have the new lights they installed on the dunmore road ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFV4gI00W1w&feature=related

When were they caught in Newrath? Last year when they were working on the road, there were camera warning signs

Advertisement