Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of wedding deposit

Options
  • 25-01-2010 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hey,
    myself and faince paid a hotel a deposit a year ago of 800 yoyos. We are changing hotel due to a host of reasons. Our wedding is still 11 months away. So far as i know the deposit is "non refundable"
    Just curios is this legal and have I any hope in getting my deposit back or am i wasting my time even asking?
    Regards,
    L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Liam79 wrote: »
    Hey,
    myself and faince paid a hotel a deposit a year ago of 800 yoyos. We are changing hotel due to a host of reasons. Our wedding is still 11 months away. So far as i know the deposit is "non refundable"
    Just curios is this legal and have I any hope in getting my deposit back or am i wasting my time even asking?
    Regards,
    L

Depends on the terms of your agreement with the hotel. If you've signed the agreement that its non refundable then thats what you agreed.

I got nailed on the same thing this year except it was 1500 :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Depends on the Terms and depends if the reasons are even valid, changing your mind for example is not a valid reason :)

You'd need to provide more info for people here to give more advice, though I'd suggest you read the T&C's you agreed to first aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

We are in a similar situation where we are looking for the hotel deposit back. We have not signed any contract with the hotel (although the draft contract says the deposit is non-refundable). Surely it can't be non-refundable if we haven't signed anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Liam79 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Regards,
    L

Hi

I suggest you write to the hotel , state you had to ' cancel ' due to unforseen circumstances , ie sort of hint that you have broken up .

I did that , plucked at the heart strings , got our money back no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Shannonsider - a contract does not have to be signed for it to be binding. By handing over the deposit, you may have effectively accepted it. However, you have nothing to lose by contacting the hotel and being nice.

@Davidth88 - it's better to just ask them nicely, rather than lying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

dudara wrote: »
    @Shannonsider - a contract does not have to be signed for it to be binding. By handing over the deposit, you may have effectively accepted it. However, you have nothing to lose by contacting the hotel and being nice.

@Davidth88 - it's better to just ask them nicely, rather than lying them.

Sorry didn't make myself clear , I wasn't advocating lying , so much as being economical with the truth.

IE telling the business in question that you have changed to a rival business may not be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is sort of similar to going back to a shop with say a computer game you do not want. The might not have to legally refund you as they see it as loosing profit which was already written in their books -so they might let you exchange the game.

In this case if they are trying to keep the deposit I would be asking to at least exchange it for vouchers for the hotel so you could go there for a few weekends and have meals etc. Its 11 months away so its not exactly like the place is decked out waiting for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Thanks for the advice folks. I had thought the same that we were implicit in a contract by just having paid the deposit. Will try and be as polite as possible, if all else fails, it'll be vouchers for the hotel we'll be hoping for.

Advertisement