Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing tiles that cracked

• 25-01-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

We tiled our kitchen couple years ago with tiles similar to these and in one corner we had an area of about metre square where they cracked and had to be removed. The cement underneath was powdery in places and I removed as much of it as I could. I want to retile this area and bought a tub of grout and adhesive in one. Is it necessaru for me to re-cement the floor to get it level or can I just use the grout/adhesive to raise the tiles to the required level (I believe I should have enough to do it) thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 louielou

Depending on how much cement came out, it would be better in the long run to replace the cement especially on the floor, because you will be walking on it. If it was on the wall, its okay, cause there is no pressure on the tiles. I would get a bag of quick set sand/cement usally 3 to 1, or, 2 to 1 mix of sand and cement. Set it and leave for at least 24 hrs before tiling. The longer you leave it the better.
    Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If your using a slate tile you need to use a flexi adhesive. I know that the all in one is not flexi so if you use it you will be replaceing the tiles again. If there is load weight on them.

Its best to scrape all the old stuff out and re-grout.

TBH their is 2 ways to do this and your way is not the right way. Sorry.

You need a bag of flexi adhesive

Bag of flexi grout

and really these tiles should be cleaned and sealed.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I've put down a few tiles here and there, on the bag of adhesive their should be some reference of maximum (mm) bed. If you go above max bed then adhesive might loose its strength.

I have a bag of flexible adhesive and I've used it to both lay slate on floor and wall, in one case I had to use a fairly high bed, well above 5mm, almost 10 to 15mm. After set, slate hasn't budged so far, I walk on slate tile everyday as its front door step.

From working with both flex and standard, I find flex works best for everything, not sure if its ment to be used where not required, I've used flex in places where not required and never once had a problem with falling / loose tile.

Flex seems to hold strongest bond no matter what height of bed.

Advertisement