Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van vs motorhome insurance

Options
  • 25-01-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

If you have a van converter into a camper, is there cheaper insurance available as is rumoured or what is the story? And how does one go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

If you have a van converter into a camper, is there cheaper insurance available as is rumoured or what is the story? And how does one go about it?

To the best of my knowledge, that's a myth. When converting there is a higher risk of something going wrong (eg poor installation of electrics causing a fire) which is why insurers require an ERF. It's possible they charge the same as a normal camper once you have produced the ERF, however I would think it would certainly not be cheaper (if anything it would be more expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

If it's a conversion it needs to be registered as a camper and vrt paid, once it meets the requirements (Sink,cooker,1.8m internal height etc) you can get insurance which typically costs around €320.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Michael1987

How do I go about registering for vrt and how much is it?
    Im 22 so would I still have to pay the rediculous insurance on a camper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Search this forum for info on registering for VRT, lots of info out there. Insurance will be a challenge for you as all the insurers insist you're over 25 for cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

Excuse my ignorance but what is an ERF,??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

pandos wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what is an ERF,??

Apologies, I meant DOE, not ERF. (DOE being a test/certificate of roadworthiness, to the best of my knowledge)

Advertisement