Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super League XV. Round 0? (Praise the Lord!)

Options
  • 25-01-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

Crusaders V Leeds. Fri 29th,Wrexham, 20:00 Sky Sports 1.
    Quins V Wakefield. Sat 30th, The Stoop. 15:00.

Thank jebus folks, at last the long, long drought is over and the greatest game in the world is about to get back up and running. Two games this weekend...can only see one winner on Friday night or maybe crusaders can prove us all wrong, as for Quins/Wakey who knows? Be interesting to see who hits the ground running given the heavily disrupted pre-season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Heart says Crusaders (just for the whole undergog thing) and Quins, head says easy win for Leeds and Wakey win by a few points.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the Irish Mirror is going to have the Super League pullout tomorrow or is it UK only?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Heart says Crusaders (just for the whole underdog thing)

More of a cat thing surely, as in dead-cat-bounce (should they win).....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

I just hope that the Crusaders-Leeds game isn't a squirmathon as the Rhinos put up a cricket score. Best we can hope is that the game stays competitive until half-time. A bad game for the Crusaders to be launched in Wrexham, new supporters might be put off coming back again if they get a trouncing.

Sky should have gone to the Stoop, for what has to be a more even and entertaining contest.

Let the show begin:D

WakeyTyke wrote: »

Sky should have gone to the Stoop, for what has to be a more even and entertaining contest.

Let the show begin:D

+1.

Quins, it seems, have been hit by the pre-season injury curse losing Luke Dorn as well as Purdham, plus other injuries as well. Not the start to the season that any coach wants.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_5884846,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Leeds should walk this one without any major trouble. Should be interesting to see how their pre season purchases get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

Full teams and I think I'd go Leeds & Quins but Purdham and Dorn are unbelievably important players for Quins. IMO Purdham's England best loose-forward

This week I'll be going Leeds and Wakey though. Both by a bit of a distance (eventually)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Leeds by ~60, Wakefield by 8-12. Never understand why they have that game as the season opener though.

amacachi wrote: »
    Leeds by ~60, Wakefield by 8-12. Never understand why they have that game as the season opener though.

World Club Challenge is the answer.

Leeds-Crusaders match is brought forward from Round 4 to accommodate the game and the Quins-Wakefield game is brought forward from Round 3 so the Quins can once again provide a warm-up game for this years challengers Melbourne Storm.

Leeds-Crusaders match is brought forward from Round 4 to accommodate the game and the Quins-Wakefield game is brought forward from Round 3 so the Quins can once again provide a warm-up game for this years challengers Melbourne Storm.

Ah yeah I know that, but having a trouncing to open the season is just so silly.

• Advertisement

:o Sorry misunderstood.

Sky always had it that the first game of the season would feature the newly promoted side so I suppose the 'new' Crusaders is the closest to that. Or maybe that's just the way the fixtures fell by chance.

Either way agree with you totally - poor fare for the opening game of the season.

Oh! and Wakey by 14 points:D

Sky always had it that the first game of the season would feature the newly promoted side so I suppose the 'new' Crusaders is the closest to that. Or maybe that's just the way the fixtures fell by chance.

Yeah, I don't get this...the very same last year, I remember going to Headingley on a freezing cold February night, for the opening game of SL XIV, Leeds V the then 'Celtic' Crusaders. Poor game...Celtic competitive for 35-40 mins and then trounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Dead right WakeyTyke, its quite a big deal hosting the Aussie teams every year for Quins with so many Aus/Kiwi ex pats in London. Not sure how much of a team Storm are going to send but hopefully it will earn Quins a few quid.

Looks like Eastwood will finally get to pull on a Rhinos shirt in anger on Friday night; Be interesting to see the Crusader starting XIII....

Crusaders (from): Nick Youngquest, Vince Mellars, Gareth Raynor, Michael Witt, Ryan O'Hara (c), Lincoln Withers, Mark Bryant, Jason Chan, Rocky Trimarchi, Luke Dyer, Tommy Lee, Frank Winterstein, Adam Peek, Jamie Thackray, Jordan James, Ben Flower, Lloyd White, Elliot Kear, Peter Lupton

Leeds Rhinos (from): Brent Webb, Scott Donald, Brett Delaney, Keith Senior, Ryan Hall, Danny McGuire, Rob Burrow, Kylie Leuluai, Danny Buderus, Jamie Jones Buchanan, Ali Lauiititi, Kevin Sinfield, Matt Diskin, Greg Eastwood, Ryan Bailey, Ian Kirke, Carl Ablett, Luke Burgess, Kallum Watkin

Squads for The Stoop on Saturday

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
    Murphy, Morton, Millard, Gleeson, George, Jeffries, Brough, Tronc, Newton, Korkidas, Ferguson, Morrison, Demetriou, Johnson, King, Moore, Obst, Latu,Henderson

Harlequins.
    Bolger, Clubb, Esders, Gale, Golden, Howell, James, Jones-Bishop, Kaye, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Melling, O'Callaghan, Orr, Randall, Sharp, Ward, Wilkes, Williams, Williamson.

The Crusaders game is a sell out. Good news for all involved.

That is a great start for them, just hope and pray that the team put in performance of courage, committment and pride that will make them want to come back for more.

Thank god we're back to Super League after a dull winter!

Wanted to get over to Wrexham tonight but I'll have to settle for a pint in Headingley.

I wonder what sky's new analysis will be this year; there seems to be something new every year

AdeT wrote: »

Wanted to get over to Wrexham tonight but I'll have to settle for a pint in Headingley.

I sincerely hope this game doesn't degenerate into farce...crazy opening fixture imo.

toomevara wrote: »
    I sincerely hope this game doesn't degenerate into farce...crazy opening fixture imo.

If it's close it's an inspired choice...IF!!!

The more likely occurance is a heavy win for The Rhinos leaving Crusaders with a bit task of filling the ground next time round...

Anyone going?

• Advertisement

AdeT wrote: »
    If it's close it's an inspired choice...IF!!!

The more likely occurance is a heavy win for The Rhinos leaving Crusaders with a bit task of filling the ground next time round...

Anyone going?

I'm not, as had an away weekend to London last weekend to catch the LI/Leinster game....but hope to make all the home games this season despite bleedin' work's best attempts to keep me from my rugby....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Who'll win the league this year?

Trojan wrote: »

It is hard to see past Leeds, who on paper, look even stronger than last season. Don't think St. Helens are going to be the main challengers this year, think it is going to be Wigan.

Counting down the minutes to this now :D

Trojan wrote: »

Cant see past Leeds,Saint or Wigans right now, but having said that I think this season could be the closest in along time, as I reckon there are about 4 teams under the top three who, given a rub of the green and a bit of momentum could just shake things up.

For betting purposes Wigan are probably the best value.

Gonna miss most of the match tonight, shall record it.

Great to see so many at the match tonight, long may it continue. :)
    Come on Crusaders!

Pitch looks awful, no yellow balls?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

facepalm.gif

Poor try conceded there.

Quest will never hear the end of that mistake, feel sorry for him. Pitch looks dreadfull due to the snow.

• Advertisement

Impressive first 40 by the Crusaders, some useful performances from Witt, Trimachi etc... Classic Noble team, the guy's a superb coach, you can tell he's already got into their minds. Leeds look undercooked, which is surprising given their pre-season, but wouldn't panic just yet...snow's a bit of a bugger, a good leveller though.

Advertisement