Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salvador Cabanas shot in the head

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Never heard of him.

Wish him all the best though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

redout wrote: »
    Never heard of him.

+1

I'd say there is more to this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I had heard of him. Always though he was Mexican though. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with football though. Wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

redout wrote: »
    Never heard of him.

He was linked with a move to Sunderland at the start of the month afaik and was due to go the world cup with Paraguay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

CHD wrote: »
    +1

I'd say there is more to this though.

Dunno, wasn't there a Colombian shot in 94 because he missed a peno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Dunno, wasn't there a Colombian shot in 94 because he missed a peno

Andres Escobar

Scored an OG, shot possibly by people who had bet on them to beat USA. kellers shouted GOAL everytime they shot him alledgley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Watched him play in the South American qualifiers when Paraguay was setting the pace early. Sorta stocky and quick with a powerful shot, liked the look of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭crushproof

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Andres Escobar

Scored an OG, shot possibly by people who had bet on them to beat USA. kellers shouted GOAL everytime they shot him alledgley.

Jeez, for a moment I thought you said Kasey Keller shouted Goal everytime!

Hope Cabanas recovers anyway, meant to be a pretty good player.

crushproof wrote: »
    Jeez, for a moment I thought you said Kasey Keller shouted Goal everytime!

You weren't the only one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

He was meeting with representatives from Sunderland last week and was due in for more negotiations this week until this unfortunate incident.

Getting linked to Sunderland is like a death sentence for players these days though, Diego Bounoatte (SP?) was also linked with us and that weekend crashed his car killing three of his mates and seriously injuring himself.

Nah in all seriousness, I really wish him all the best and hope he makes a full recovery, I've watched a few of his games since we were linked with him and he's looked a canny player, all the best Salvador.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I always thought he was a talented player. Actually, i just signed him in Football Manager last week so this is quite odd.

I have a friend from Mexico who supports America and he is absolutely distraught.

EDIT: Seems he has not passed yet. Hope for the best.

He passed away sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Searched around and he was Paraguary player of year in 2007

Ush1 wrote: »
    He passed away sadly.

Is that definitely true mate? According to some latest reports say he has passed away, others claim it isn't true though so it's hard to know what to believe.

His wife has said the bar he (Cabanas) was drinking in was getting robbed and Cabanas reacted by trying to stop it and was subsequently shot.

According to someone on the Sunderland forum the latest Tweet from some sports article has said he has had successful surgey and is recovering so like I say, it's hard to know what to believe. I pray the reports of his passing aren't true :(

I pray the reports of his passing aren't true :(

I don't think so. Had a look at the headlines myself when I saw that post. Some bloggers seem to have assumed that by the fact he was shot in the head he was dead. This seems to have made its way to Wiki, and, well, some agency probably went with it out of laziness...

Latest official line I can see is he was conscious in the ambulance going to hospital but is critical.

Edit: Seems some scumbag actually took photos of Cabanas while he was waiting for medical attention. How can someone do that?

I don't think so. Had a look at the headlines myself when I saw that post. Some bloggers seem to have assumed that by the fact he was shot in the head he was dead. This seems to have made its way to Wiki, and, well, some agency probably went with it out of laziness...

Latest official line I can see is he was conscious in the ambulance going to hospital but is critical.

Edit: Seems some scumbag actually took photos of Cabanas while he was waiting for medical attention. How can someone do that?

Yeah that's my exact understanding of the incident too mate.

Paulo Da Silva who plays with us (Sunderland) is apparently good buddies with him too
    so I'd expect that in tomorrow's pre match interviews journalists will be asking him about the situation, I doubt we'll hear anything more substantial until then, although the less we hear, the better to be honest.

I seen the photo, absolutely horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Jesis!

Knew this lad well from watching him, and Football Manager.
    RIP Mate if you're dead.
    AFAIK, they're performing critical brain surgery.

Is that definitely true mate? According to some latest reports say he has passed away, others claim it isn't true though so it's hard to know what to believe.

His wife has said the bar he (Cabanas) was drinking in was getting robbed and Cabanas reacted by trying to stop it and was subsequently shot.

According to someone on the Sunderland forum the latest Tweet from some sports article has said he has had successful surgey and is recovering so like I say, it's hard to know what to believe. I pray the reports of his passing aren't true :(

Yeah, just read there, conflicting stories it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

Saying on SSN that they performed surgery but could not remove the bullet.

Does not look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The most detailed article I've read on it so far this morning. Statement from the doctor saying that they didn't remove the bullet but that it'll do no harm where it is.

Good article actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

nkay1985 wrote: »
    The most detailed article I've read on it so far this morning. Statement from the doctor saying that they didn't remove the bullet but that it'll do no harm where it is.

Good article actually.

Not bad, not a great article either though. Has there been another election in the US ?

"'He went into the bathroom and his wife went to the women's bathroom. She heard a noise two or three minutes later and went out. Salvador was already on the floor,' Michel Bauer, the president of America, told Mexican television.
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Not bad, not a great article either though. Has there been another election in the US ?

I don't mean very well written or anything liek that, just that it's quite informative compared to some others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

"'He went into the bathroom and his wife went to the women's bathroom. She heard a noise two or three minutes later and went out. Salvador was already on the floor,' Michel Bauer, the president of America, told Mexican television.
    "

Club América is Cabañas club team in Mexico!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Thanks mate, not spelled like that in the interview though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Varied reports in the news regarding the motive for the attack, but a couple of things seem certain enough around now.

1) the bar having a lock in, more or less....after hours stuff.

2) They know the guys who did it, and someone commented on the shooter having a 'Sinaloa accent', which basically means - gangster, and the police might well be looking but probably wont 'find' him.

3) They are about to arrest the security staff and some of the bar staff for possibly being in on it - the security guards are seen to be using radios, then letting the two assailants leave. The cleaner was quickly in cleaning up the bathroom....etc and the guards wouldnt open the door to the police when they arrived.

4) The possible motive was a Cuban dancing girl on the table on the shooter. Cabanas was there with his brother in law (not his wife), and they hypothesise that there were altercations between Cabanas and the shooter, who was sat very close, with the dancing girl.

Right now theyre taking him off the sedatives and apparently hes awake and recognises his family. No further updates and a generic repetition of the stuff already known, with continual extrapolation etc etc.

Anything else gets said and ill post it up. For the record, the guy was a feckin fantastic striker, leading scorer in the league at the minute. I live in Mexico City and its all the talk right now, hundreds of fans at the stadium (azteca) holding vigils etc. Really touching stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

ok, i will only post an update when something difinitive happens, if anyone is interested in it but as of this morning they are managing to do a number of u-turns in true corrupted mexican police fashion.

Theyre saying the guy they have on camera....couldnt be the guy they said it was as hes currently in jail. The other guy who they know WAS there, didnt do it, because the guy who is in jail and wasnt the guy on camera, is supposed to have did it, and the cuban dancer is no longer able to identify the shooter as she has been demoted to simply a witness on the scene, not to the events. So basically, the gangland wins again, the police are toothless, and a guy is still in hospital with a bullet in his head for no 'apparent' reason.

Everyone who is a football fan here seems to be fuming. My mate, when I spoke to him, was absolutely distraught yesterday as hes a huge Cabanas fan. Front page on every newspaper, updates on news etc.... its hard not to get swept up by it and feel some sort of anger at the guys getting away with it.

Confirmation coming through that his wife was indeed with him and they stopped her going to him when the shots were fired.

Advertisement