Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart lie to new customers :(

• 25-01-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Read this:

Rate my ISP - Rate your Internet Service Provider & Irish Broadband services

ratemyisprateyourintern.th.jpg

There is no info on main page about limits - 170 GB, and sales department lie when You try to order new connection. They said " digiweb-smart have no downloads limits "

They have info : " Unlimited downloads" and it is months after start limits.

nolimitlie.th.jpg biznesunlimit.th.jpg welcomtosmarttelecom126.th.jpg

My friend sign contract in december, he was lied like this. Now he stuck with them for 12 months.

Smart should give full terms before people sign contract

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kudzRS wrote: »

so please get your facts straight before making slanderous remarks!!

From the front of your web page right this moment:

"No download limits means I can download whatever I want -Steve"

From your terms and conditions, section 23.1

"There are no specific download or upload limits imposed on you by us, except on our budget entry bundle."

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HDfan

kudzRS :
    i believe the exact line you receive is "there are no download limits, subject to fair usage"

no download limits = unlimited. If you have limits in fair usage it means you can't use no downloads limit. You can write: "there are download limits, subject to fair usage"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/unlimited
    un·lim·it·ed
    1. Having no restrictions or controls: an unlimited travel ticket.
    2. Having or seeming to have no boundaries; infinite: an unlimited horizon.
    3. Without qualification or exception; absolute: unlimited self-confidence.
    or a start Smart do not say "digiweb-Smart" as Smart is still trading as its own entity...

smart telecom was taken by digiweb. That is fact.
    They working hand in hand. That is fact.
    smart started limits after digiweb take smart. That is fact.
    smart is movieng customer care to digiweb office. That is fact.

no info on smart web page about limits. That is fact. welcomtosmarttelecom126.th.jpg

when you order broadband, nobody give you info about limits. That is fact or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shamonemofo

HDfan wrote: »
    kudzRS :

no download limits = unlimited. If you have limits in fair usage it means you can't use no downloads limit. You can write: "there are download limits, subject to fair usage"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/unlimited

no info on smart web page about limits. That is fact.

when you order broadband, nobody give you info about limits. That is fact or not ?
    from the sounds of things buddy, i think you know more about Smart then Smart do themselves ;) are you wearing a wire! haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not fact. Smart introduced a 170GB cap on all it's products months ago, long before Digiweb took over.

Any proof of this?

Don't mix up your facts with opinion, it makes it difficult to believe the bits you do have right.

I've yet to see any official mention of Smart's new 170GB limit policy and I don't believe it's in the T&Cs yet, and they are still banging on about an unlimited service, which it hasn't been for some time now.

Even though 170GB a month is a sizable limit, and one of the largest for Irish ISPs, it's still a hell of a lot lower than their limit used to be.

Any proof of this?

Info from smart forum. But now forum is off-line :( just for me or not ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

jor el wrote: »

Any proof of this?

Smart did state this openly themselves.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Customers shouldn't be expected to abide the idea of "unlimited internet access, subject to a fair usage policy". A contract shouldn't be called that if it's open-ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Well at least UPC's unlimited is alot higher than smarts unlimited cap! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

While I agree it is lying, a lot of them do it. Is it really that hard to say what the actual download limit is on the sales information and the terms anc conditions.,

smart telecom forum is off-line for 24 h for me. Is it problem with my IP or they have tech. problems ?

smarttelecombroadbandsu.th.jpg

I can not check my data usage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There is little doubt that up to recently a lot of people joined Smart under the impression that there was no contention and no download limits - irrespective of what may have been in the terms and conditions Smart employees did nothing to alter this impression and has been pointed out earlier and in fact encouraged that belief.

Now if something has been the practise for a long period surely there should have been a recognition of this and a formal procedure to deal with it? It is quite extraordinary how in spite of all the so called up to date management techniques that are available in profusion how lacking a bit of common sense and consideration for customers is.

What would have been wrong with Smart giving a decent advance notice to customers that they would be introducing a cap? I have been with Smart since almost the beginning and while I dont download a lot I still would have liked the courtesy of being formally informed of a major change in policy.

It is difficult not to sympathise with someone using the 'digiweb-Smart' term.
    Throttling has never been a Smart policy afaik and yet within an extraordinarily short term of the take over people are throttled again without any general communication to customers and in a manner that monumentally p******es of people.

It is incredibly depressing to read policy being made on the hoof in the Smart support forum and decisions being given out there which should be communicated to all customers. For example a reset charge of €8.50 appears to have simply 'appeared' out of nowhere.

Digiweb have obviously not set out to win friends and influence people.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference now between being with Digiweb and the new Smart? Unfortunately 'Smart' is obviously one adjective that we wont be applying to the new management or their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

smart telecom forum is off-line for 24 h for me. Is it problem with my IP or they have tech. problems ?

smarttelecombroadbandsu.th.jpg

I can not check my data usage.

Just you, you've been posting non stop rubbish on the forums so I guess they canned you! :p

It's definetly in there terms and conditions alright... 23.1 of The T&C's...

Sounds fair enough to me.... as i said, people don't read their t&c's anymore... Every company has this in place presumably ;)

Just you,

If it is true it is next nice step from smart.

First they introduced limits and throttle line ...

now they prevent me to check my data usage.

Thanks here is no censorship and we can write true about digiweb-smart.

They didn't JUST introduce limits mate... They have always had a limit governed by the "Fair Usage Policy"... you have obviosuly been a bold boy and downloaded more than is deemed adequeate for home use! tee hee!

And aren't Smart and Digiweb still trading as two different companies???
    When did thet become Digismartweb5000!??! :confused:

If it is true it is next nice step from smart.

First they introduced limits and throttle line ...

Thanks here is no censorship and we can write true about digiweb-smart.

shamonemofo: specialy for U:

First they start limiting customers and throttle line ...

Thanks here is no censorship and we can write true about smart steps from smart telecom ( who was taken by digiweb ).

Can somebody ask admins from smart telecom ( who was taken by digiweb ), whem forum will be on-line, because I like to check my data usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

HDfan

The Smart forum is up and running. I am also able to view my usage data too.

Thanks pizzahead77. Now and for me forum is on-line, it was just 24 h tech problem for my IP :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thanks here is no censorship and we can write true about smart steps from smart telecom ( who was taken by digiweb ).

Can somebody ask admins from smart telecom ( who was taken by digiweb ), whem forum will be on-line, because I like to check my data usage.

Actually boards.ie does not exist so you can make claims all you want, you must backup your statements.
    Boards.ie does not give "free speech" to one and all, the site still must abid by the law.

You'd know for example that Smart imposed their FUP before Digiweb bought them.

Also can you please use the quote function correctly when quoting other people's posts.

It makes things confusing if you don't and nobody knows who your refering to when all you do is quote one or two words from another user.

HDfan I'm curious, how much stuff are your downloading in a month?

Thanks for briging the NO censorship thing to my attention HDfan...! ;)
    I'm sure the moderators would disagree! haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

These are facts, however in your opening statement you said smart reps are referring to themselves as 'Digiweb-Smart'.

This is not fact.

They are still trading as two separate companies, they are not 'Digiweb-Smart' as you keep saying...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

misslt wrote: »
    These are facts,

Thing is Smart started enforcing its FUP before Digiweb took ownership

Cabaal wrote: »

Ooops, my bad. You are correct!

Cabaal wrote: »

Which was really just aimed at the takeover talks to make them look more attractive to one of the worst ISPs for throttling in Ireland.

Which was really just aimed at the takeover talks to make them look more attractive to one of the worst ISPs for throttling in Ireland.

Perhaps,
    But again we're stating facts here and saying that Digiweb introduced FUP's/caps is not a fact ;)

The party with Smart was never going to continue we all knew it deep down :)

Well, they went into examinership and pretty much went bust, because their unlimited usage policies cost too much.

So maybe enforcing a cap would be the logical step to try and save some money?

After the cap was brought in they had their first reported profit in god knows how long.

Well at least you can just reset usage data for €8.50 as many times as you like, yes that means reset back to 0, nada, ZERO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Who the hell downloads more than 5GB a day legally anyway?

I'd happily still sign up with Smart again knowing they have a cap as they have been without a doubt the best ISP I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stephenc_ie

Who the hell downloads more than 5GB a day legally anyway?

maybe HD fan has found a good source of legal HD downloads...

• Advertisement

Well at least you can just reset usage data for €8.50 as many times as you like, yes that means reset back to 0, nada, ZERO

Not a bad option, certainly better then being charged 2c per 1MB :)

Basically yeah this had to happen, it was only a matter of time....sadly all ISP's are in it to make money and allowing users to pull down 100's or 1000's of Gigs in a month is not profitable.

I'd much prefer Smart do what they are doing then if they went bust as a company.

Advertisement