Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine live stock on-line?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can purchase good marine live stock on-line and have it shipped to me without being in "the trade"?

I've been on-line looking at the Tropical Marine Centre in the UK for example, but they don't seem to sell to non retailers. I have found that live stock, corals and live rock is VERY expensive in the republic compared to the UK and don't want to have to rely on a local fish shop. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

TP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I think that you might be better dealing with someone who knows what they are talking about regarding marine tank setups and live rock etc... some corals need to be in more mature water and all that kind of jazz.

Go to a shop in Dublin and keep going to it. There are plenty of Marine shops in Dublin; Aquatic Village and Aquatic Village 2 (Tallaght area) SeaHorse Ireland at the Red Cow, Aquariam Solutions in Ashbourne. All these shops know their stuff and will advise you best on what you should use. I think that buying online will be difficult with regards to picking things up, which would most likely be the case with fish and rock. You'd have to meet the delivery at the airport most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tunepimper

Hi dancingqueen,

Thanks for your reply. I have been in the hobby for almost a year now and I've learnt a lot from my local fish shop and from many books which I own. I do not intend to cut my local fish shop completely out of the picture, but we should have some choice available to us. The local shop I go to get their stock from the UK and France shipped to their door, so surely we should be able to, as it's an expensive enough hobby as it is :-)

Thanks, all the best,

TP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I keep freshwater, not marine but I think this is just as valid an opinion.

You are much better off going to your LFS. Not just to support them, but without seeing a fish before you order it/buying online, you dont know what the fishes history has been.
    Personally I want to see a fish, check its condition, make sure its feeding, no deformities etc before buying it and adding to any of my tanks.

Most LFS will order in anything you want if you ask for it. All ths shops DancingQueen mentioned above are fantastic and will do this for you. Petstop in Blanchardstown is another fantastic place that will look after you as well.

Advertisement