Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Roscam

Options
  • 25-01-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi all, thinking of moving in to house in Ros Cam. Anyone live in this area? Whats it like? Good bus service? Shopping nearby etc etc?
    Also, roughly how much is a taxi from town out to here after a night out?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I don't live there, but used to visit my daughter there. It seemed fairly nice. There is a Spar I think and some other shops there, more in Doughiska and Dunnes and more at Briarhill. Theres a no 9 bus from the Dublin road every 15 mins, and I think another from outside the Spar. Cant tell ya cab prices - call a cab company and ask !

Theres also a doctor there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

My cousin lived there for a while, I visited a few times. Its okish. The spar is a bit expensive, and the Dunnes/Briarhill is too far to walk and bring your weekly shop home imo. Its miles from anything really, we walked to her house from eyre square one evening and it took an hour. Apart from the video shop beside the Spar there's really nothing to do in the evenings there, you can go for a walk around sometimes but that's it. Its quite cheap but you need to factor in the bus fare you'll pay every day.
    There is or was a lot of unfinished houses out there too. I'd treat that as an indication of the areas population. I'm not trying to scare you off completely, just think there are a lot of compromises to be made with living out there, but you could rent a house to yourself fairly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Haven't lived there but visited. It's very residential and far out. Best if you drive but seems very nice and family oriented, like Knocknacarra on the other side of the city. If you work in Ballybrit or thereabouts it a quick bike ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Not recommended. I think it is strange, artificial. Looked at houses there once upon a time pre-recession, nothing spectacular. It is trying to be sort of in between far out and close to town, but it is actually more isolated then lets say Oranmore which is km-wise as far from Roscam as Roscam is from town (5KM). Having said that you could bike to a big Dunnes (which I hate, you may like it) which is in a "shopping center" (ehhh) in about 5-10 mins. So, if you like being not so close to a bad shopping center, being isolated in a strange place and strong wind, go for it. Will cost you about €15 to town in a taxi. If you are going this side of town try Oranmore pretty much the same cost in a taxi & travel time in a car but more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

swe_fi wrote: »
    Not recommended. I think it is strange, artificial. Looked at houses there once upon a time pre-recession, nothing spectacular. It is trying to be sort of in between far out and close to town, but it is actually more isolated then lets say Oranmore which is km-wise as far from Roscam as Roscam is from town (5KM). Having said that you could bike to a big Dunnes (which I hate, you may like it) which is in a "shopping center" (ehhh) in about 5-10 mins. So, if you like being not so close to a bad shopping center, being isolated in a strange place and strong wind, go for it. Will cost you about €15 to town in a taxi. If you are going this side of town try Oranmore pretty much the same cost in a taxi & travel time in a car but more convenient.

If Oranmore is double the distance from town how would the taxi fare be the same??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Zzippy wrote: »
    If Oranmore is double the distance from town how would the taxi fare be the same??? :confused:

Exactly. A recent cab ride cost me E11.05 from Eyre Sq to Doushiska Rd / Dublin Rd.

I know a few people who live there, and are very happy with it. Nice, ordinary middle-class people. Yes, there are some unfinished houses. But it's not been a problem for the, and the fact that they're unfinished, rather than finished-but-empty ... umm, reduces the chance of a certain type of use. Nuff said.

It's got one of the best bus services in town (#9) which uses bus lanes, so I wouldn't think of it as isolated myself. YMMV. The bus that stops beside the SPAR is some of the Galway Clinic (9a) buses on the way back to town: very, very infrequent.

Dunnes isn't too far to walk to, but it's be a major hike back carrying shopping. But as I said ... #9 bus is good.

The shops there include Spar, pharmacy, hairdresser, coffee shop cum DVD rentals cum internet cafe, ... maybe something else too.

Friendly parish too, where people actually talk to each other.

The one drawback IMHO is the lack of a pub. The closest is the Amber House (ex Racing Lodge), which is definitely in the next suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

I'm living here at the moment and am currently looking for a new place to live, I moved out of town to save money but I'm just spending more time in town now and taxi fares on top of that. Shop is way too expensive and the houses are quite cold. Its convenient for work but again the buses can be quite unreliable. I've been late quite a bit since moving here. I wouldn't recommend it. Then again, if it was a friendlier house maybe i wouldn't spend so much time in town but be content here???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

unJustMary wrote: »
    The one drawback IMHO is the lack of a pub. The closest is the Amber House (ex Racing Lodge), which is definitely in the next suburb.

I'd think that would be reasonable walking distance from Roscam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Have you considered the estates on the Doughiska Road instead? You're that much closer to Dunnes, actually on the 9 bus route, and they're actually quite a few things around:
    Amazing playground, pitches, Centra, a great hairdressers/beauticians, a barber shop, a decent Chinese takeaway, a pub which serves tasty food - with a good pub quiz happening on March 1st! - an excellent new chip shop, Lidl, Dunnes, pharmacies, an opticians, Ulsterbank (with friendly staff!), a bakery, a corner shop, regular buses (every 15mins/30mins into town) with a couple of actual bus shelters, Merlin park Woods for walks, cycle lanes (a bit of a joke, but it's a start...) ...
    Also, it's handy for either town, or Oranmore - which is a lovely little village with good restaurants and a couple of gyms!
    I wouldn't even consider Roscam, but am quite content in Doughiska.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

NMoore wrote: »
    Have you considered the estates on the Doughiska Road instead? You're that much closer to Dunnes, actually on the 9 bus route, and they're actually quite a few things around:
    Amazing playground, pitches, Centra, a great hairdressers/beauticians, a barber shop, a decent Chinese takeaway, a pub which serves tasty food - with a good pub quiz happening on March 1st! - an excellent new chip shop, Lidl, Dunnes, pharmacies, an opticians, Ulsterbank (with friendly staff!), a bakery, a corner shop, regular buses (every 15mins/30mins into town) with a couple of actual bus shelters, Merlin park Woods for walks, cycle lanes (a bit of a joke, but it's a start...) ...
    Also, it's handy for either town, or Oranmore - which is a lovely little village with good restaurants and a couple of gyms!
    I wouldn't even consider Roscam, but am quite content in Doughiska.

Yeah, I live in Doughishka and it's grand. The residents are organising stuff in the park which is good, and seeing as it's attached to the woods, it makes it one of the largest parks in the city.

The no. 9, contrary to a previous post, is very regular actually. It is a suburb and not the city centre, so there's no point comparing. If you want to live in the city, just do. We all know it's advantages, it's just the rent is double.

Taxi's usually a tenner, I'm a sorry to see someone paid over €11!!. What happened to deflation in the recession? :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement