Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freedom onion soup

Options
  • 25-01-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭

I've done a blog post here, love to hear what y'all think of the recipe

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

In case the link gets removed....

Ingredients:

4 large white onions.
    3 small shallots
    1 clove of garlic
    2 bay leaves
    A bunch of thyme
    A shot of brandy
    A Litre of good beef stock (This is where the difference will be made, If you have time, roast up some beef and veal bones and do it the old fashioned way like here, alternatively the jellied stuff is quite good although a tad salty so go easy on the seasoning at the end. Don’t use stock cubes, at all)
    A few slices of Vienna loaf
    Gruyere cheese.

Method:

First get a big heavy bottom pan on a medium heat with a couple of lugs of olive oil in it. Roughly chop the onions, and finely chop the garlic and shallots and add all them all along with the de-stalked thyme and bay leaves to the pan and cover. Stir occasionally and keep an eye on the heat, what you want is the onions to take a rich brown colour but not caramelise or burn so by keeping the lid on you’ll keep the moisture in and they’ll stew up nicely.
    When the colour is achieved and the onions have a melty quality to them, add in the shot (or two) of brandy. Let the alcohol cook off in it for a minute or two, remove the bay leaves and add the stock. Give the stock a good stir and get it up to heat, but not to the boil. Season to taste and ladle into large bowls.
    Lightly toast your slices of Vienna loaf and carefully place on top of the soup. Grate your gruyere cheese and cover the bread with a generous amount, there’s no need to be pretty here and it doesn’t matter if it gets in the soup.
    Fire under a hot grill for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. You should end up with something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Campbells beef consomme is a very good middle ground between the home made beef stock and the over salted stock cubes/jellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Minder wrote: »
    Campbells beef consomme is a very good middle ground between the home made beef stock and the over salted stock cubes/jellies.

Can you still get that? I've been looking around for it in the last six months and haven't found it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The recipe looks good - only thing I'd do differently is that I'd finely slice the onions rather than roughly chop them.
    I'd also let them get quite brown (not burnt) before adding liquid - French Onion Soup takes patience!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The recipe looks good - only thing I'd do differently is that I'd finely slice the onions rather than roughly chop them.
    I'd also let them get quite brown (not burnt) before adding liquid - French Onion Soup takes patience!!

Yeah I'd be one for caramelised onions in an onion soup myself, and I'd use about 2 more onions for that much stock. I'd Have the onions at almost a marmaladey stage before addint the stock and they would be almost paper thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be one for caramelised onions in an onion soup myself, and I'd use about 2 more onions for that much stock. I'd Have the onions at almost a marmaladey stage before addint the stock and they would be almost paper thin.

We sing from the same French Onion Soup sheet:D

Advertisement