Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Anyone Remember When Lars Ulrich was even more Evil?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I just found this rather amusing TV clip used at the MTV VMA's in 2000

First of all, hasn't Lars aged?

This would have been about 3 months before Newsted left the band and it all fell apart for them

I'll never forget Robb Flynn from Machine Head defending him all those years later, saying he had so much respect for Ulrich because he was abusing Napster. Lets be totally honest, bands like Machine Head survive on talent, but Machine Head earn a comfortable living through wise investment, savings and the fact that young boys buy their music and gig tickets because they were introduced to it from a friend who got the music from the Internet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Lol. Never seen that clip before!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Don't think it was on tv.
    I think it only got played at a music awards show or something.

Fair arguements from both sides of the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

ye lars has aged, he doesnt even wear shorts anymore!
    ah he has to be looking back on all that napster stuff now and cringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

...they were introduced to it from a friend who got the music from the Internet
    I'm quoting the above bit because I and I'm sure many other Machine Head fans became fans after hearing Burn My Eyes which was released in 1994. That's a few years before the widespread distribution of MP3s became common. I was introduced to Machine Head after copying a tape that was copied off another tape :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Malice_ wrote: »
    I was introduced to Machine Head after copying a tape that was copied off another tape :).

A-HA!:D

• Advertisement

well internet or tape, it wasnt paid for either way!

i'm sure Lars never copied tapes off other tapes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

A-HA!:D
    Of course I've long since bought it on cd. Actually I've had to buy it twice after someone robbed it off my at a house party.

"sharing is only fun when it's not your stuff"

Maybe ya should have put I disappear on one of the albums then eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Malice_ wrote: »
    Of course I've long since bought it on cd. Actually I've had to buy it twice after someone robbed it off my at a house party.

They prob stole it so they could "share" it online ;p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Haha never saw that before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Can someone merge these endless boring Metallica threads like the Pearl Jam thread into one big thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The whole Napster thing was a total joke. If you read back through interviews given by Ulrich over the years, he goes on about making mix cassettes for Hetfield when they were teens of stuff that Ulrich had, so that Hetfield would not have to buy it.

I guess little Lars thought it was ok to rip off Diamond Head, Maiden etc back then but it only became a "real" issue when it happened to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Natural Poleece

Looking back at it now Metallica actually were pretty much right about Napster. They just needed some better PR. If they'd put Jason Newsted or Kirk Hammett out front instead of Lars, fans wouldn't have been as pissed off.
    The real issue with Napster was they were a company profiting off illegal file sharing. They also facilitated sharing of unfinished tracks. I think most people can understand fans sharing polished music to get other music listeners interested in their favourite band. A line has to be drawn though where the artists reputation is being damaged and/or where profit is being made off the back of theft.

Advertisement