Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Mis-Selling

Options
  • 25-01-2010 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I upgraded my account with O2 with a second iPhone for my daughter. When buying the phone in their Tallaght shop I was not told about all the pricing plan options available to me and I just picked the lowest bill pay tarriff. Had I known about an option for free texts with the next highest tarriff i definately would have availed of it as I was buying the phone for a teenager who is glued to her phone.

She then ran up a huge bill for texts that cost me over €200 extra for just one month. I called O2 and discussed this with a customer service person who suggested I buy an add on of 400 texts. Again I was NOT told of the option for free texts.

After another huge text bill (yes i know my daughter is in big trouble) I went into a Carphone Warehouse store thinking I could buy a seperate phone for her with some kind of free text plan - the shop assistant immediately told me all I had to do was go to the next O2 pricing plan up and then i could avail of a free text option. This person was able to advise me correctly and obviously by giving me this advice he was not going to get anything out of it.

I raised this last Friday with O2 after calling them to change over to this free text plan. I was told that "I should have known about the free texts because of all the advertising O2 do" and a miserable €50 credit was offered to me. On reflection I am not happy.

I can accept that when I bought the phone I went on the wrong plan and there is responsibility on my part for not looking into it in more detail, however I cannot accept being sold a 400 text package when quite clearly this was not remotely enough and by simply going to the next level of pricing plan I could avail of free texts, at the same cost.

I looked up their complaints proceedure and have emailed them so I'll see how I get on
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/resources/file/eb08320cfc10f10/O2_CodeofPractice.pdf

I wondering if anyone else has a mis-selling experience with O2 or any other mobile network and what suggestions anyone may have for me. I feel stupid but I do think they should still refund me at least half of the extra costs I incurred.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

To be honest you are blaming O2 for your daughters bad behaviour. Why not punish her by taking away her phone instead of wasting your time blaming O2 for the fact you never looked at the different tariffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sounds like she urgently needs treatment for OCD :p

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Get her one of these phones. Lets see how many texts she will send now :D
    Yeah, AH is here.

OP, I'd be very surprised if you get anything more from o2 and legally speaking you're not entitled to anything else (I know that sounds harsh, sorry). Even the €50 credit they offered wasn't a legal entitlement but rather a gesture of good will. My advice would be to put it down to experience and to monitor your daughter's account online at o2.ie. I'm on pre pay but I'm sure it's the same for bill pay. You can see what numbers were called, the duration of the calls, etc. so when the bill comes in you'll have an idea of what to expect.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

O2 imho are being pretty nice to offer 50e given they don't have to do anything.

In relation to what plans O2 have, in fairness its not like they are hidden on O2's website

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Did you tell the shop assistant it would be for someone who sends a lot of texts? if not then how were they to know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i don't know if this helps but could you not stay on the cheaper plan and put a pay as you go sim card into your daughters iphone, then just pay the bill amount which will be at the basic amount (like a kind of payment plan for the iphone) and buy €20 a month credit and let your daughter budget with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

krudler wrote: »
    Did you tell the shop assistant it would be for someone who sends a lot of texts? if not then how were they to know?

are these shop assistants not being paid to look after customers and ensure they are on the best package for them instead of the best package for o2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

foggy_lad wrote: »
    are these shop assistants not being paid to look after customers and ensure they are on the best package for them instead of the best package for o2?

Well It works both ways. Having sold phone a long time ago I was always told to ask who was using the phone and what they needed it for and based on the information gained sell the right tarrif and phone. But if the sales person fails to ask the questions surely common sense would kick in for the customer to ask for the right tariff.

But not knowing what the sales agent actually asked we will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Doesn't sound like O2's fault, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Aside from giving a child a contract phone (and one that'll make her a magnet for muggers), this is entirely the OP's fault for *telling* the salesperson she wanted "the cheapest tarriff".

o2 usually have posters with their tarriffs displayed in the shop. If you go up to the salesperson and say "I want an iPhone on the cheapest tarriff, here's my credit card and I.D.", why would you expect them to explain every bolt-on and tarriff to you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

contract phone and teenagers = very very very bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Well then again, an iPhone is involved , sorry two of them, so you can't expect a genius! :D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Cabaal wrote: »

+1! I had one when I was a teenager. Two bills later, it was being converted to pay as you go. I'm on bill now though, cos I have to pay it myself I'm more careful. OP, if you went on the cheapest iPhone tariff, I thought all O2-O2 texts were free, that's what I have. I then have another text bundle of 200 to cover any other texts I send that month. Your daughter must have been sending a hell of a lot of texts to go over her bundle and still run up a huge bill.

When I bought my iPhone, I was asked 'which tariff do you want' and I told them, it was basically the same one I was on with my regular phone. They didn't ask any questions, and neither did I. I think if you went in and just said 'the cheapest tariff' they would have given you that, and if you had any questions or comments about how the phone was to be used, that would have been the time to ask them. Also, if you were an existing customer, they would probably have assumed you knew what sort of tariff was best for you. If you were a brand new customer, I reckon they'd have gone through the price plans with you.

I think they're being nice giving you the €50 credit, they really don't have to do anything. Best thing you can do now is try to change your daughter to a pay as you go plan, and chalk it up to experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Cabaal wrote: »
    Totally agree.

OP, is there a valid reason for your daughter needing/having a contract phone? Apart from the fact she doesn't have to worry about buying credit/money for top-up's etc.

Tbh, O2 are being more than nice by giving you a €50 voucher, when they didn't have to give you anything at all, as t wasn't their fault you didn't check the tarrifs properly and also for your daughter running up a big bill.

Personally, if I was you, if your daughter gets pocket money, I'd take so much out of it each week/month until the full €200 s paid back. I'd possibly also take the phone off her for a week (maybe longer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

I wish O2 would give me €50 every time I thought my bill was too high.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

You could of wen on the medium bill(60e a month) you get 350 mins, and you should have choose the "free texts to any network" as your free extra choice(you get to choose on the medium or high tarrif) that' what I'm o. An I sent he'll of a lot of texts

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

o2 are the only network in Ireland to operate a revenue share model based on consumer spend. It is NOT in the o2 shops intrest to make sure the consumer gets the package most suited to them. The store gets paid more the more the customer spends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 StanByrneGalway

Wow thanks for the sympathy and helpful advice!

Yes I know there is a parenting issue but that is not what my question was about. On the consumer issue guys you are all wrong - O2 have already taken responsibility and this morning agreed to refund a further €200.

Even the initial tarriff I can accept as my full responsibility as yes how were they to know at that stage what would suit best however when I called them after the first huge bill they should have suggested the correct plan and they have admitted that to me.

O2 have an optimisation service so whenever you call and say please analyse my bill and tell me the best tarriff to be on they do it and over the years this has saved me alot as my usage changes. I have been with them for 7 years and have 4 phones on my account so I guess it might also be because they are in it for the long hall with a good customer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

well holy ****, thats something else can't believe they refunded you that much, really nice result..
    as in saying that though, it costs them nothing to refund you the difference as the infrastructure is there, so refunding money that has build up over sms wasn't an impact on the network

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you're right,they should just know everything about every customer that walks in the door and buys a phone without the customer saying a word:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement