Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting a site aimed at US on an Irish server

Options
  • 25-01-2010 4:38pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What if any are the implications on doing this. Hosting a site which would be intended to appear in the rankings on google.com on an Irish server. In terms of taffic, being listed higher on google.com and SEO what affect would it have. Would it be better to host it on US servers with a US ip address or will it have any if much impact.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Ideally you should host your site in the country it's aimed at. It's only one ranking factor out of many though so the % of traffic you'll miss as a result of hosting in Ireland would be pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

As long as the hosting is good ie. responsive, reasonable ping etc., it shouldn't be an issue

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Blacknight wrote: »
    As long as the hosting is good ie. responsive, reasonable ping etc., it shouldn't be an issue

You probably have a better idea of that than me since its your hosting i use :D
    Just kidding, yeah I thought it would be ok but as Cormee said above its one of the ranking factors out of many but just wanted to be sure it wasnt going to make a big enough difference to really merit getting hosting in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't know about .com, but .ie sites running on foreign hosts will still appear in "pages from Ireland" google search results.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Yeah im sure it will appear, its just how much of a hit if any in the rankings it would take I was wondering because its hosted on an irish server as oppose to a US one. Seems like it wont be much of an issue from what the lads above say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Just specify the target country in Google Webmaster Tools Settings and you're pretty much done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Other things you can try would be including US market specific content eg. US telephone numbers etc.,

Advertisement