Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Useless Metallica Thread: Will Metallica play the Black album live in full?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Next year see's Metallica off the road, officially, and working on the follow up to 'Death Magnetic' I presume? Of course, we all know about their need to escape from the studio and cash in for a few Summer dates, so provided 2011 doesn't mark the end of the world or the next Ice Age it's pretty certain Metallica will play

On their last 'Escape' the band happened to have the luck of playing the entire Master of Puppets in 2006 to celebrate that albums 20th - I saw it happen in Dublin in what I can say was the best I've seen Metallica to date

So I've got a few questions, let me know what you think?

1. If Metallica perform the Black album live will Newsted be asked back for an anniversary show? Rob himself said he originally wanted to see the Black album era band play at the RnR HOF 09 awards before Hetfield threw his toys out of the pram

2. Can they play songs like 'Struggle Within' and 'Don't Thread On Me' that don't really conform with their current equitment and they've NEVER, EVER played live

3. Would they be do disrespectful as to play 'My Friend Of Misery' without Jason Newsted

4. In accordance with Q2, will Ulrich go back to his monster 1991 drumkit setup.....that would be pretty cool?

And so forth

I personally would love to see it happen, I think it would be incredible, and I think Newsted should be asked back if it does. And yes, if they are going to play those songs, they should make a tour out of performing with their Black era lineup and equipment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

3. Would they be do disrespectful as to play 'My Friend Of Misery' without Jason Newsted
    3. - this - definetly my fave mainstream metal bass part.. I hope they dont do it without bringing Jason back. Orion really doesnt sound the same without cliff and i get the feeling this would be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Don't see it happening i'm afraid. I think the MOP "tour" was a one off to celebrate an album that brought them to a new level,both creatively and commercially. TBA was a breakthrough for them in a commercial sense,radio airplay,heavy MTV rotation etc. I don't see them looking back on it with quite the same fondness. Plus,the MOP tour was to get them back into that frame of mind for creating their next album(DM),Something Rick Rubin had suggested to them.

I wouldn't see it as disrespectful to play MFOM without Newstead. They've played 'Orion' live without Cliff(for obvious reasons) and it had never been played live before. Newstead doesn't tour anymore anyways,he played on Voivods new album but they're getting a touring bass player in to tour the record as he can't do the rigours of touring anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Doubht it tbh.

The MOP routine was just a case of good timing I reckon.
    And it's the one album that everyone loves.

Black album was almost like earlier incarnation of St.Anger for many fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

as stated above they are def likely to play and i suppose it is possible that they will play the whole album just as another selling point.

I'd love to see ...And justice for all live, think thats the best album they have released

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

bazmaiden wrote: »
    I'd love to see ...And justice for all live, think thats the best album they have released

And play it live as a 3 piece with no bass!:p:p

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    And play it live as a 3 piece with no bass!:p:p

NO no bring along the bassist just mix his sound so low that its inaudible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

This will never happen. Lars and James have said it to fans at meet and greets who have asked about this. They wont play "...misery" without Jason. So count that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I still think they should have started that 20th anniversary thing by playing Ride The Lightning in its entirety back in 2004!

Malice_ wrote: »
    I still think they should have started that 20th anniversary thing by playing Ride The Lightning in its entirety back in 2004!

Ye i love kirk's work on that album, but i don't know if he could still do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 vs1824

To be honest whatever they decide to do they each will need a JCB and a dump truck to hall away the millions that their genius marketing plan will make for them.

• Advertisement

vs1824 wrote: »
    To be honest whatever they decide to do they each will need a JCB and a dump truck to hall away the millions that their genius marketing plan will make for them.

beer-good-napster-bad-metallica.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Malice_ wrote: »

I would have loved to see that myself, except that if you read Metallica's book "So What?" James speaks at length about his hatred of the track "Escape" - he says the band were forced to record a "pop sounding Trash metal bull**** hybrid of sorts" and this turned out to be the track in question. Metallica never released it as a single, despite being asked to do so, and never performed the track live....James refused to ever sing it....I hadn't realised it was so hated before then

Advertisement