Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a Graphics Controller ?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I am just looking into buying a new computer. I have read a number of specs' where it says there is no graphics controller. Does this mean it will be no good for handling pictures ? I want a computer to be good at handling images.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

I am just looking into buying a new computer. I have read a number of specs' where it says there is no graphics controller. Does this mean it will be no good for handling pictures ? I want a computer to be good at handling images.

Thanks for any advice

It means there isn't a dedicated video graphics card. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_card

The graphics are built into the motherboard (integrated graphics).

Fine for pictures. Not fine for 3d computer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Thanks qr. Would you mind me asking if you know the difference between a PC and a 'Workstation'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Mmmm. It depends on the context.

In an everyday office environment, a workstation is just a work computer connected to a network.

In certain offices, a workstation can refer to a high end computer used for a specific purpose ie. the marketing department might have high end graphics workstations to work with huge images etc.

An engineering firm might have specific workstations to run computer aided design programs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Thanks again qr ;)

FB

Advertisement